Chapter 12 ~ "I promise I'll do anything for you, no matter what."

Chapter 12: "I promise I'll do anything for you, no matter what."

I swallowed, but my throat was so dry that it got stuck. Mum was staring at me with tired blue eyes and Luke was completely still at my side.

"Pregnant?" I repeated weakly, forcing myself to stay calm and collected. Mum always relied on me keeping my cool in order for her to keep her cool. And now, she needed that more than anything.

Mum nodded. "Yes. Pregnant."

I watched her strained features warily. "This isn't some sort of sick joke to cover up that it's actually Rita pregnant, right?" Because let's face it, that woman was more fertile than a chicken.

The front door opened and we all turned to see Brandon walk in, a solemn look on his creased face. He looked at me, and there was so much sympathy in his eyes that I couldn't bear to look at him.

"It's definitely me, Jordan," Mum affirmed quietly.

"But-" I stopped and took a deep breath. As if sensing that I needed some sort of comfort, Luke stepped closer to me and took my hand. I couldn't let go of that lifeline even if I wanted to. His rough hand was the only thing I could focus on.

"Jordy," he spoke softly, tightening his grip on me.

That was all the reassurance I needed, and I straightened up. "Mum. How?" I paused again. "Actually, no, I don't want to know how. But...oh, Mum."

It hit me like a punching bag and I sagged heavily against Luke. Immediately, his arm came around me to keep me on my feet and I blinked several times to keep my eyes from becoming glassy.

Seth was an illegitimate child. Mum had him when she was seventeen, and because of that, Dad married her to take responsibility and because his dad, my Poppy, wouldn't have let him have his inheritance. But Seth was a problem baby, and as he came out, something happened to rip my mum's womb.

She almost died.

And then, a few years later, she got me, and refused to have an abortion even though Dad begged her to. She was so close to dying that apparently her heart stopped beating for two minutes before the doctors could revive her.

But another baby? She didn't stand a chance.

"You went to the doctor's, right? That's why you were so late?" She nodded. "How far along are you?"

"Five weeks," she replied so softly that it was barely audible.

"Mum, please..." I started to say, but already knew what she would say.

"No, Jordan!" she snapped in a very sharp voice. "I didn't abort you, and I'm definitely not aborting this baby!"