Chapter 13 ~ "Doth my eyes deceive me?"

A/N: Sorry guys, I jumped forward two months, because the real story progresses from here :) My apologies that this chapter is such a cock-up

Chapter 13: "Doth my eyes deceive me?"

Let me tell you something after spending two months in Lucas Tarrone's company: your brain starts to leak out of your ears.

Contrary to popular opinion, it was possible to get tired of Luke and his company. Mind you, I was used to him by now, but that didn't change the fact that I was constantly close to beating his skull in.

Because I was the maid of honour and he was the best man, we basically had to do everything together.

And by everything, I literally mean everything.

We went to school together and came home together. We babysat his siblings together. We ordered the tablecloths and napkins and tables and rented out the venues and called out for entertainment together. We picked a catering service and a theme and helped the bridesmaids and other people involved in the wedding get their dresses and flowers.

I swear, he was such a help but such a pain in the ass that it almost took away from the enjoyment of the preparation. Randy totally thought I would fall in love with him because we were constantly together, but I hadn't yet.

I wasn't being stubborn, it was true. Luke may be an attractive fucker and could be charming and hilarious at times, but being around him exposed me to the kind of imperfections that made me want to rip out my eyes with a rusty fork.

The most I could say was that I was used to him and that I may have begun to think of him as a friend. Shocking, but somehow, him comforting me in my most vulnerable state caused me to stop constantly fighting with him in order to see him as a good guy, rather than the annoying shit I used to think he was. That I still think he was.

I wasn't allowing myself to think of anything more than that, because I had to focus on the wedding. If I decided to act upon these strange feelings, who know what would happen. I didn't even know how Luke felt, and he most likely didn't care one bit about me. At least, in the way I hoped he would.

That would be so embarrassing if I became another of those girls who just confess to him, only to be flatly rejected. I refused to be put into that category like 80% of the female population at our school. Not to mention I had to help out Mum now that her pregnancy was beginning to show.

When she told Dad...it wasn't pretty. There was a lot of screaming and throwing things and crying and I was pretty sure that he'd smashed a £300 vase. Nope, I have no idea why he'd even pay that much for  such an ugly thing.  

But I was right. He'd demanded she get an abortion, she'd refused, and now I couldn't stay in the house without hearing their constant screaming matches. I felt guilty to say that I was glad when he left for an extended business trip.

The only good thing that I could tell from the whole situation was that he actually did love my mum, considering how angry and upset he was when she told him she'd prefer to die herself than let the little baby die.