Skateboard Escape

I'm sorry I know everyone hates these Authors notes at the beginning but I just wanted to say that even though this is a sandlot fanfiction it will not be word for word from the movie. If I leave out parts I'm sorry but they are parts that I didn't remember fully and have zero time to research. This is more writing for fun rather than for an actual purpose. Updates will be slow. thank you for sticking with me if you're here.

Disclaimer- I don't own any sandlot characters except for Charlie and any other names you don't recognize.

Scotty's pov

The day started like a normal day in Glendale. I still had no friends and no one to talk to, unless you count my mother. I was all alone. I just sat outside my house punching my mitt and trying to be careful with my black eye. I think my mother was worried.

"Hey, kid, watch out!" A girl screamed as she came to a halt at my feet. Her skateboard flung up, nearly close enough to make my other eye black and blue. Her eyes widened as I caught it.

"Hey nice catch..." She trailed off, eyeing me from head to toe. I wasn't much of a looker. From short, blonde hair, to your average joe button up, I was just another kid in town. "I don't think I've seen you before. What's your name, kid?"

"Um..." I say, pausing to calm my nerves, "Name's Scott. I just moved here from out of town. I wouldn't expect you to have seen me anyways," I say, a small blushing growing around my neck. I was shy in nature, and didn't care much for new people.

She extends a hand, letting her long pigtail braids swing with her body. They came down to her waist and were the color of caramel and tree bark, I decided after a few moments. "Mother calls me Charlotte, everyone else calls me Charlie. Nice to meet you, Scott," Charlie says. I extended my hand to shake hers, realizing how clammy it was. I internally cringe at myself and smile as I shake her non-clammy hand. She pulls her hand back, smoothing out her shirt, a white shirt with red edging, covered in a thin layer of baseball diamond dust.

         "Do you have any friends?" Charlie asks, a motherly care in her voice, almost pitiful. Something inside me ticked at that. I hate pity, but I couldn't let my pride get the best of me, especially since I didn't have any friends anyways.

"No."

"Well, Scotty, would you like to come and meet mine? I think you'll fit in fine with them, with your baseball cap and button ups," She says, a wide smile on her face.

"I guess."

Her smile widened, almost reaching her ears. I think it was in this moment I decided I liked Charlie, admired her. It may have been happy-go-lucky personality, but something inside me clicked when Charlie smiled at me.

     She grabbed her skateboard from my hand, obviously ready to go, and waiting, rather impatiently, for me to stand up. As the summer heated pounded down on us, we headed to Vincent's Drugstore. Charlie rode next to me on her skateboard at a lolling pace. Sweat dripped from beneath my baseball cap and down my back. "So, why here?" She asks. I look up at her, squinting beneath my baseball cap. She was short, shorter than me, which was saying something around here.

"My mother remarried," I say vaguely, hands in my pockets.

"Hmph," she says to herself, obviously thinking about something else. Her foot hit the ground, making a scud sound, as she sped up to meet a group of boys standing outside of Vincent's.

A larger, red headed boy was saying something muffled that I didn't understand. Apparently none of the other boys could either because they call replied with a loud "HUH!"

The red headed boy took the candy cigar out of his mouth.
"I'm the Great Bambino."
"OHHH," stated all the boys in sink laughing.
"Who's that?" I asked confused as I jumped off of Charlie's skateboard, excited about maybe finally having friends.

They all looked at me in complete and utter shock.

Charlie's pov

Did this kid just ask that. I groaned as all the boys looked at the poor kid.
I knew Yeah-Yeah or Ham would be the meanest about it, so I stepped toward them to try to shut down an argument before it happened.

"Hey guys ready to go to the sandlot," when I saw no one paying attention I grabbed Scott's hand and pushed him to start walking to the sandlot.

Soon all the boys followed.

As soon as we got to the sandlot, after making fun of yeah-yeah's running obviously, I introduced all the boys to Scotty.

As I was doing this I was standing next to Yeah-Yeah, he had his arm around my waist and was rubbing circles on my skin. Scotty looked at this contact warily and I shifted uncomfortably on the balls of my feet.

"CHARLIE WHY DID YOU BRING THIS SQUARE! He's an L-7 weenie!" Squints yelled at me as he made the symbol on his forehead.

Scotty looked like he about to cry and run away so I decided to was time for the game to start.

"Smalls, go to left center okay?"

"Um Charlie, where is that?" He said quietly.

I pointed to wear he was to go as I took my spot as pitcher.

Benny looked around at everyone.

"PLAY BALL!"