Poor Peffercorn

Charlie's pov

As we walked into the swimming area I noticed Wendy sitting atop the lifeguard stand.

Squints had the look of an insane man etched across his face and he was rubbing his hands together as if he had thought of the plan of the century. It didn't seem to phase anyone. Well excluding me.

  I left to go change in the girls locker room and when I came out I didn't see any of the boys, other than Benny who was sheepishly standing by a large pile of clothes.

   Benny waved me over. While some of the other guys would stare at my in a swim suit, *cough cough HAM cough cough* he didn't. Benny was kind of like an older brother to me. I would forever be grateful that he was apart of my life.

   All the other boys stepped out of the locker room and walked over to us. Yeah Yeah tried to look anyone where except me, all while sporting a tomato red blush across his face and neck. I liked to know I had that affect on him.

   The other boys weren't so kind as to avert their glances. Specially Denunez and Ham. It was beginning to creep me out and I think Benny was tired of it.

    "Guys you're being really creepy. What happened to you saying Charlie was like a sister to us?"

   Kenny ducked his head in embarrassment. While Ham glared at Benny. The boys all ran to jump into the pool as I laid down on a beach chair to work on a tan.

Yeah Yeah's pov (yeah shocker I
know)

I glanced anywhere but at Char. I had not so secretly liked Charlie for a very long time. For most girls I would ogle them in a bikini, but not Char. She deserved a gentleman. And I was determined to be that for her.

I wanted to punch Ham and Kenny for staring at her as if she was a piece of meat. Benny beat me to it.

I watched as Char smiled at Benny as if he was everything she wanted in the world and I remembered why I hadn't told Charlie how I felt. I was pretty sure she was in love with Benny. I mean pretty much every girl is.

The rest of the gang had tried to convince me otherwise but I still don't believe them. I mean who would like a tiny, scrawny, weird guy like me over Benny.

I looked around for my best friend to see her with sunglasses covering most of her face as she waited for a tan. She always talked about how jealous she was of my tan.

I walked closer to her, trying to stay quiet. The balls of my feet were burning as the pavement was heated from the scorching sun.

So quickly, before she could even react, I had grabbed Char and held her bridal style in my arms and I sprinted towards the pool. I jumped in with her in my arms.

When we surfaced she smacked my shoulder before dunking me.

"Don't EVER do that again." She said in a tone that meant she wasn't joking.

The guys were laughing when they noticed me audibly gulp. Char could be horrifying when she wanted to be. She than chuckles before joining in on the wrestling.

We all had stopped to take a break and were admiring Wendy Peffercorn. Actually more like gawking at her.

  "Oh man..." 

  "Yeah-yeah, too cruel."

   After I said I saw char glare at me slightly. That actually made me feel a little ashamed for saying that.

  "She don't know what she's doing."

" Yeah she does. She knows exactly what she's doing."

I noticed, with satisfaction that she didn't glare at Benny for saying that. Does that mean she doesn't like him?

"I've swum here every summer of my adult
           life... and every summer there she is.

           Lotioning... oiling... smiling.

           I - can't - take - this - no - more!"

Squints was shaking and shivering and you could tell Charlie was stressing out.

Squints cleaned his glasses and jumped up of the pool walking close to the deep end. A feeling of dread nestled it's way into my chest as I watched him. I knew something bad was going to happen.

"What's 'e doin'" Smalls asked anxiously watching as squints laughed with a weird look of hunger on his face.

"I don't know, but that's the deep end. And SQUINTS CANT SWIM!"
I was shaking win worry for my best friend as we watched him dive in the water. He didn't surface so we all screamed and got out, running to the edge of the pool.

Wendy was fight mouth to mouth and I was shaking like a leaf. Char was next to me, trying to stay strong for us all. She wanted to seem untouchable, but her eyes betrayed her. I wrapped my arms around her and buried my face in her tangly hair.

Wendy had been doing CPR for awhile now and we all were waiting anxiously for results. As she placed her ear to his thin chest squints opened his eyes and grinned at us.

Char somehow knew exactly what he was doing and she turned away, with a pissed off look on her face. I was confused but I still had my arm around her so she couldn't run away.

Charlie's pov

I knew exactly what that twerp was going to do as soon as he grinned at us. I was pissed. I mean I'm probably being over dramatic but I feel bad for Wendy. No one should have to deal with such embarrassment. Especially at work.

Yeah yeah was the only thing keeping me from slapping Squints. He had his arms wrapped around me so tightly I felt like I would snap.

When Squints grabbed Wendy's head I couldn't take it. So I jerked out of Al's arms and walked away to get changed. I came out to see Yeah Yeah waiting for me while the other guys had all been dragged out and banned. He and I got out of that punishment.

"What's wrong Char?" A look of hurt etched over his delicate features.

"That was so cunning and low, even for Squints. I'm just disgusted that she had to go through that." I replied honestly, I was never able to lie to him.

"Yeah yeah, I can't believe he did that. It was awf-.."

"Al it's okay. I know you thought it was cool."I small smile graced my lips as I looked at him. His eyes held the look of a puppy and his hair was wavy from the water.

"Yeah yeah. Sorry char."

"It's okay I swear it man. Hey are you going back to the sandlot, cause right now I don't think I can look at squints." I asked gently. I was hoping to go home but I didn't want to abandon Yeah Yeah.

"Yeah Yeah, let's just go home!" He said referring to my house since my parents were like second parents to him.

I hopped on his back as he grabbed my thighs so I wouldn't wipe out on my ass. We walked back home, giggling all the way. Yeah Yeah was the only one who could always make me happy.