Chapter 13

"Hopepaw, wake up." Someone prodded her with a paw and Hopepaw opened her green eyes. She saw that it was Thornclaw that woke her. "Come on, it's time to go."

The long-haired russet apprentice got to her paws and stretched before she followed Thornclaw outside the den. All of the other apprentices were still asleep, including Owlpaw. She studied her brother, knowing that it might be a while before she saw him again. Her gaze traveled to Bramblepaw who caused a pain in her heart. She would miss him as well.

Outside the shadows of the den, the sun was just starting to rise over the forest. Birds were chirping and a gentle breeze caused the trees to sway. Hopepaw saw that Tigerstar, Sandstorm, and Cinderpelt all waited to see her off.

Tigerstar watched her expectantly while Cinderpelt just looked outright nervous. Hopepaw approached her mother first. She didn't think through how hard it would be to say goodbye.

Sandstorm buried her nose into her daughter's shoulder and sighed. "Take care of yourself, Hopepaw. Come home to me." When the others weren't listening, Sandstorm whispered into her daughter's ear. "If you need someone, look to Graystripe."

Hopepaw stared at her mother in surprise. "Why Graystripe?" She wondered in shock.

Sandstorm shook her pale ginger head. "Just trust me." She backed away and Hopepaw looked to Tigerstar and Cinderpelt.

"If you need assistance," Tigerstar mewed, "There will be a hollow tree directly across from the Stepping stones. At its roots will be a rock. If you need to contact us, place a flower underneath the rock. We will meet you the night after at moonhigh."

"We're going to walk you to the border." Sandstorm said, motioning to Thornclaw. "Are you ready?"

Hopepaw nodded, "I think so."

Thornclaw led the way out of camp and Hopepaw stayed at Sandstorm's side. She missed being around her mother more than she realized. It felt nice to be at her side and she wished that it wouldn't be long until she could return. The forest was slowly waking up, and Hopepaw knew that she would miss this.

She would miss the cool shadows casted by the thick canopy. She would miss the forest animals and the way the wind whistled through the branches. Most of all, she would miss her mother, littermates, and Bramblepaw. Hopepaw hoped that she would be able to return soon.

Finally, the river came into view. The small group stopped before they emerged from the trees. Thornclaw turned to look at Hopepaw. "I trained you well, now it's time to prove your worth." He touched his nose to hers. "Make me proud." Then he backed off to let Sandstorm say goodbye.

"I'll miss you, Hopepaw." Sandstorm purred. "I'm so proud of you and the cat you've become. You're on your way to becoming a great warrior." Sandstorm nuzzled her. "At night, if you're feeling lonely, look up at the moon and know that I'm thinking about you."

Hopepaw purred and nuzzled her mother back. "I will. I'll miss you, too." Then she turned and padded out of the shadows. She glanced over her shoulder but she couldn't see Thornclaw or Sandstorm hidden in the shadows.

Hopepaw approached the fallen tree that served as a nice bridge across the river. She jumped up onto it and nearly fell into the river. The bark had been worn away and the smooth wood was all that remained. Hopepaw dug her claws into the tree and made her way slowly across to the RiverClan side.

She landed safely on the other side and scrunched up her nose at the soft, wet peat beneath her paws. How could RiverClan cats stand walking in this? No wonder they had webbed paws! Slowly, Hopepaw made her way up the river. She kept her eyes out for a patrol since she didn't know where the camp was.

Suddenly, she heard a yowl and something heavy crashed into her. Hopepaw hissed and spun on her attacker. She faced a very dark grey, almost black, tom with fiery amber eyes. By his size, Hopepaw guessed that he must be an apprentice. Three warriors emerged from the reeds.

Hopepaw recognized two of them: one was the spotted she-cat named Leopardfur (who was also the RiverClan deputy) and Stonefur, one of the most notable warriors in RiverClan. She faced them bravely, along with a smoky black tom.

"What are you doing on RiverClan territory, apprentice?" Leopardfur spat. The spotted golden she-cat narrowed her eyes and circled her.

"I-I ran away." Hopepaw lied and she was surprised by how convincing she sounded. "I want to join RiverClan."

"Why?" Stonefur quizzed her, he looked genuinely concerned.

"Because," Hopepaw started sadly. "ThunderClan hasn't been the same after it became TigerClan. It's not a clan that I'm proud to be a part of."

Stonefur and Leopardfur shared a glance. Then Leopardfur looked back at Hopepaw. "Come with us." Hopepaw followed the three RiverClan warriors and walked alongside the apprentice.

He was older than her, Hopepaw realized, but not by much. The apprentice, who she found out was named Stormpaw, was Graystripe's son. Hopepaw had heard all about Stormpaw and his sister, Featherpaw. They were somewhat notorious in TigerClan along with their father, Graystripe.

Sandstorm's words echoed in Hopepaw's mind. Why would her mother ask her to trust Graystripe? That was like saying she could trust a fox! It confused Hopepaw more than she could say.

Finally, the camp came into view. It was an island, Hopepaw realized, surrounded by a shallow stream. The inside of the camp was obscured by bushes, reeds, and cattails. The RiverClan cats waded across the stream to the camp, but Hopepaw wasn't eager to follow.

She tentatively placed a paw in the water and shivered. Memories from her near drowning returned and she was frozen in fear. Hopepaw stared into the water and her green eyes stared back at her. Even though she could see the bottom, Hopepzw couldn't bring herself to move.

"Are you coming?" Stonefur asked, returning to check on her.

Hopepaw nodded and waded into the water. She tried not to think about how wet her fur would be. It would take her forever to dry off! How did the RiverClan cats do it?!

She peeked her head into the camp. It was a generous-sized clearing with dens scattered around the edges. At the center of camp was a fallen log that probably served as their Highrock. Hopepaw walked into camp and every cat turned to stare at her.

The eyes of every warrior, apprentice, and kit were on her. Hopepaw tried to ignore them, but it was nearly impossible. Sitting on the fallen log, in all his glory, was Crookedstar. The massive tom was even more impressive up close. At his side was Leopardfur.

"TigerClan apprentice, what is your name?" Crookedstar asked Hopepaw.

"My name is Hopepaw." She answered respectively. "My mother is Sandstorm."

Crookedstar studied her with narrowed eyes. "Leopardfur says that you wish to join RiverClan, is that true?"

Hopepaw nodded, "Yes. I don't feel safe in TigerClan anymore and I'm not proud to call it my birth clan."

Crookedstar considered her words for a moment before replying. "Very well, you may stay. At first, we will keep you under close watch. You will have to work very hard to earn our trust, Hopepaw."

She dipped her head. "I understand."

Crookedstar seemed pleased with her answer. "Come here, Hopepaw."

Hopepaw padded forward until she stood in front of the large tabby. The eyes of a RiverClan were on her. She knew they were looking for flaws, anything that would put her in the wrong. Hopepaw held her head higher.

"Hopepaw, until you become a warrior and prove yourself honorable, you will train as an apprentice." Crookedstar's eyes surveyed the clearing. "Graystripe, you will mentor Hopepaw."

Hopepaw couldn't believe her ears. Graystripe would be her mentor? Of all the cats Crookedstar could've named instead! The clan didn't cheer her name or welcome her. They just studied her with judgmental eyes. This would be a very difficult adjustment.

A/N
Tell me what you think of the story so far? Do you like Hopeaw? Why or why not? Also please vote!