The Dragon's Wit

Ninth

+++

"Help!"

The lady screamed endlessly, not until her voice broke. She still can't believe that the tale about the vicious dragon was true. She ran towards a cave, the moonlight illuminates the way. She didn't know that the path will only lead her to a painful end. For the last time, a shrill voice echoed.

+++

"I thought we're going to Salamandra?" I asked Luna, her crescent forehead gleams under the sunset. Besides the cold whisper of winds, I hear the flapping of her wings.

"Yes. I know. But we had a problem on the Salamander's door that's why we are thrown in this place." Luna answered.

My head still aches and I still thought that everything around me is spinning. Then I remember Raver. Where is he?

"Nathan! Come here!"

I heard his voice. I went to him through the forest and after a short walk, I found Raver in front of a cave with Skel, the turtle that guards him.

"Look, I found a bracelet." Raver said. "It belongs to someone, I guess." He added.

"There must be something that happened here." Luna said, casting us a detective look.

Then we heard a whisper coming somewhere near us.

"Let's go and find her again. Faster."
"Do you think she's still alive?"
"Don't ask things like that! You're sister is alive."

Then, an old farmer with his son appeared from the forest of trees. They both carry spears and bows. They were surprised to see us here so they all head out their weapons and point them to us. His son shot an arrow.

"Stop!"

Skel shouted and ran in front. He quickly conjured a shield and deflected the arrows. Raver sighed and we thanked Skel for that.

"Who are you and what kind of magic is that?" The farmer asked.
"We are from the Enchanted, and we accidentally came here. We mean no harm, really." I told them.

It took so long before they trusted us, sigh.

"I heard you were finding your daughter?" I said.

"No. She's my sister." The farmer's son said. We all stared at him for a while.

"Yes. It's been a year since she disappeared. And people believe that the Dragon already ate her which is not true." The farmer said.

"I am Bern. This is my son, Rancho." He added.

They invited us to their house not far away from the cave. His wife prepared us a meal.

"I found a bracelet in front of that cave." Raver said. Bern's eyes became worried.

"That's hers." Bern told us.
"Can you please tell me about the dragon? Is that true?" I asked.

Bern made a sip on his coffee and breathed.

"Fifty years ago, a dragon came here in our kingdom and started a reign of total chaos. It was ruthlessly vicious. Our king sent many envoys but they were all eaten. Finally, the two made a deal. The dragon was convinced not to attack anymore for fifty years for a price." Bern told us.

"What's the price then? Maybe we could give it to the dragon." Luna asked.

"Well, that's the problem. Only the king knows the price." Bern answered.