It's Okay

Thirteenth

+++

I wipe the wetness on my forehead as I carefully sip the hot coffee on the side of my table. The lamp on my desk shines brightly at my work.

Technically, it isn't my work but to my friend. He said he's having a hard time figuring out how it is done so I offered a hand.

The clock ticks at 12 am and I am forcing my eyelids not to fall; I must finish this. The last drop of coffee touched my lips and it's finally done.

I can't wait to see his face tomorrow, knowing that I made this for him. I collapsed on my bed, tired but happy.

"Oh. Yes. Thank you!" He said as I gave him his homework.

"Umm. I am-" He already walked away. I managed a weak smile.

+++

These flowers are pretty; their colors are dancing in my eyes. I wished they were for me but he said I must give this to her, the girl who repeatedly broke his heart many times.

"This is for you." I told her.

"Thanks. From?" She asked. I didn't speak and gave her a meaningful look.

"I see. I'm sorry if you are involved with this." She told me as she put the bouquet inside the bin.

I walked away. I saw him look at me with those eyes that once made me fall, serious and sad at the same time, and turned. I want to speak to him but I don't think he feels the same.

+++

I guess he forgot to review that he needs to cheat on our exam. He carefully checks for the answers at a paper he prepared before the class started when our teacher isn't looking. I prayed he won't get caught; he must pass this test before we can graduate.

"What is that?" Our teacher asked after she cleared her throat.

He stammered, his eyes shaking, his voice trembling.

"I'm sorry ma'am, it's mine. I'm afraid the paper flew towards him when I lost a grip. He just noticed something below him and it was unfortunately my cheat sheet." I explained.

She stared at us for a while and said,

"I'm sorry but you need to go out of this room and I'll see you at the guidance office. Where's your test paper?"

It's okay. My grades won't fail me and I still have the chance to work hard for them. Before I go outside, I stole a quick glance, half-heartedly hoping his face on me, thanking. But he's not.

+++

The graduation song is a sweet melody that calms my spirit, takes away all the pain I got throughout my high school life. What makes me happier is seeing him up on the stage, waiting for his valedictory address. With that, he is able to go to college.

I can't count all the answers I've written on a paper for him, all the ways of cheating I invented, and all of those sleepless nights.

It's all worth it.

I guess I'll get a job this summer to pay the tuition fees in college. I am not able to have a scholarship for myself. It's okay. I can do it.

"Hi. Congratulations! If you still -"

"I don't need you anymore." He replied to my unfinished greeting and offer. I breathed hard and forced a smile.

"Okay. I guess you can do it all on your own now. Good Luck." I said as he walks away.

+++

Tell me if it's heartbreaking... Well, thank you for reading! Vote or comment if you like, that will inspire me to write more! Thanks xx

- junellogist