twenty nine

Chapter 29

"I would like to visit a patient." My voice stated clear although my body felt as if it could crumble right then and there.

The receptionist flashed her bright smile before reaching around the desk and grabbing some files. "Sure thing, if I could just get you to fill out this paperwork first, and then I'll get you in to see whoever it is you came to see." She finished handing over the papers along with a black ink pen.

I didn't want to fill out paperwork, I wanted to see Angie. I was annoyed by all the unnecessary obstacles in my way, and I made sure the receptionist knew. "Why is the paperwork necessary? I'm not the patient here." I stated more irritated than I should have.

Harry puts his hand on my shoulder, taking the paper work from me. He interrupts the woman before she can reply to my irritable words. "We'll fill out the paperwork." He pulls me along with him to one of the chairs adorning the front lobby.

I mutter curse words under my breath as we sit. I had no patience to stay here and wait, my confidence and persistence was withering fast and I knew the longer I'd wait the faster it'd diminish.

"Poppy, just do what the lady asks," Harry says, passing over the clipboard to me. I take it reluctantly with a huff.

"We're wasting time Harry, I don't have time for this."

"Yes you do," he said nudging my arm to start the paperwork. I begin to fill in the basics while he reminds me. "She'll still be there regardless of how long it takes to fill out some paperwork Pop."

It takes a bit longer than expected, the tedious task of filling in predetermined blanks and boxes seemed endless. After filling out the ridiculous paperwork, I carried the clipboard and pen with me as I went to the front desk. I slid them over to the woman whose bright hair seemed to contrast the dreary feel of the building.

"All finished?" She asked, collecting the paperwork. I nodded in response as she went through whatever it was she needed to check in order for me to see Angie.

"Alrighty," She pauses looking to the paperwork "Poppy, what was the name of the patient you were wanting to visit?"

"Angie–Angela Martin." I answer using her real name in case it wouldn't register otherwise.

"Okay, give me one second," she spoke back, typing away at whatever database they used at the facility. I took a deep breath as I waited for her to ask further questions or even offer me aid by giving me Angie's location.

I feel Harry snake his fingers between my own, looking to the warming gesture. I was beyond grateful to have him here. Part of me was excited to have Angie meet him. I know she's going to love him. Or at least, I could only hope.

I look back to the receptionist whose eyebrows have been pulled together as she continues to read off of the screen in front of her. Her eyes look to mine, filled with worry. Then back to the screen again. "Oh."

My worries begin to get to me as she continues to not elaborate on her reaction to whatever it is she's looking at. Her once perky smile is set to a consoling frown.

"Did they not tell you?" She asks, her voice low.

My eyebrows match hers a few minutes ago as her question leaves me confused. "Tell me what?" I ask squeezing Harry's hand a bit tighter.

Her frown deepens as she replies. "They didn't.." she exhales. She begins to look around her cluttered desk, picking up the phone and begins dialing a number.