two

Chapter 2

We continued to lay there in silence. I honsetly had no clue where to start with him, but it's not like I really wanted to have a real conversation in the first place. So instead of sharing details about ourselves I decided I'd keep to myself and just soak in the familiar surroundings. It seems sureal really, to think that Angie's really gone. I keep expecting her to come through the glass sliding door with two glasses of lemonade, and some gossip on the celebrity she was obsessed with this week. I lay there smiling like and idiot while reminiscing on old memories that I'm all too scared will fade.

"Why are you smiling?" Harry asked while looking over at me. I hadn't taken notice of him sitting up. He sat with his knees bent, his arms hugging them into his chest. "Is something funny?" He continued.

"No.. it was nothing." I lie, not wanting to inform him of the heartbreak that occured only two weeks ago. I sat up clearing my throat and turned towards Harry. "Okay so, I'm not sure about you, but I really have no intention of getting to know you. I'm only here because my parents wanted to make a good first impression with yours. I'm aware that this is a little harsh, but I just don't really feel like becoming all buddy-buddy with the new boy next door. I just thought I'd inform you now before you actually thought we could be friends." I finished in one big breath.

I had expected Harry to be a little hurt, but I was proven wrong when he started to laugh. He tilted his head back, rocking backwards as well.

"Why on earth did you think I wanted to be friends with you? We're on the same page here, Poppy. My parents wanted me to'make nice' with the girl across the street, and I promised them that I'd do my best." Harry started to reply, while making eye contact. "So how 'bout you and I just tell our parents how we hit it off right away. Might as well please 'em, eh? And then we just pretend to like each other for our parents sake and we can just go on with our lives." He finished while shrugging sholders.

I ran over Harry's propisition in my head, and it seemed like a win-win for the both of us. We just pretend that we were friends, pleasing our parents and I don't have to actually waste my time getting to know someone I didn't want here in the first place.

"Sounds like a plan." I said while standing up from my seated position brushing off the excess grass and debris from my denim shorts. I adjusted my vest and stood there as Harry copying my motion. Once he was standing right in front of me he outstreched his hand awaiting for my hand to take his. I reached my arm out and connected our hands, moving them up and down in a handshake.

"See ya later, Poppy. I have a feeling we'll be around each other more often than either of us would like." Harry said with a smug smile.

I rolled my eyes and disconneted our hands. "Yeah, cause thats what I had planned for my summer break. Showing around some asshole around the tiny town of Staunton, Virgina." I said with yet another eye roll.

I turned on my heel going to exit the backyard I had been forced to go to. Not that I'm complaining, I haven't set foot back here since she moved, and it just feels nolgostic being back here. Opening the steel gate I looked back at Harry, who was already watching me as I went to leave. When we made eye contact he shook his head side to side while chuckling. I left through the steel gate with one more roll of my eyes.

--

Within a couple of hours the moving van that was sitting in front of Harry's house for an extensive amount of time, finally left. Signaling that they had finally settled in making the move weigh on me even heavier than before. My mom was right I couldn't have changed anything and I knew that this was what was best for Angie. I had to stay optimistic but it's hard. I just really hope Maryland was the best for her, I mean thats what everyones told me so it has to be true. Right?