seven

Chapter 7

I walked into my house through the garage, putting up my bike in the process. Rodney's advice reeled though my head throughout the short ride back home. It was great to have someone send me in the right direction through all of this. I'm so bad at deciding what the right thing to do is, but at least I don't have to be the one to decide this time.

As soon as I walked into the living room I was greeted by my parents sitting on the couch watching the 5 o'clock news. My mother was snuggled up next to my father, looking like the classic all-American couple. They were pretty great parents, but I can't help but feel as though they have distanced themselves lately. I mean I know I haven't been taking the whole Angie situation as well as I had hoped, but I just feel like they weren't sure how to properly comfort me.

I walked past my parents and gave them a small smile to greet them. I made my way into the kitchen, and noticed the pile of mail sitting on the counter. I remembered the letter I had sent to Angie over the weekend. Maybe she had replied. It had to have gotten to her by now.

I rummaged through the pile coming across bills upon bills upon junk mail. But there was no letter. I checked the pile once more just to be sure. Why wouldn't there be a letter? Maybe it go lost in the mail. Maybe she didn't want to write back. Maybe she was still mad at me for what happened. I looked down at the pile of letters, and decided to go upstairs and try to get my mind off the constant ache in my chest.

Passing through the living room on my way to the stairs, my mother stopped me. "Oh Poppy, before I forget to tell you your father and I are going on a double date with Theresa and Phil. So you'll be on your own of the rest of the night."

"When will you guys be back?" I questioned at the bottom of the stairs, playing with the railing.

"Not until late. Probably 12-ish or so. Why do you ask?" My mom asked with a suspicious look.

"No reason. Just wondering. Have fun!" I called from the stairs while I made my way up them towards my bedroom.

I walked into my bedroom and noticed it was significantly darker than normal. Especially for it only being about 5:15. I then looked over to my bay window, and remembered the curtains I placed over it. I walked over to the window and pushed the curtains to the side, and opened it up. I was suddenly greeted by the warm summer breeze that always seemed to put me at ease.

I stepped back from the window and plopped down on my bed, my blonde hair sprawling out across the bed in every direction. The faint chirping of birds, and neighbor's yard work was the only noise that filled my silent room. This was probably how the rest of my night was going to be. Me. Alone. Just like how it had been for the past two weeks.

I wasn't pulled out of this self-loathing daze until I heard the garage door close, and my parent's car start up. I looked over at my bedside table and checked the time. 5:30 exactly. I let out another sigh as I realized I was alone. Just as I had predicted.

I then realized that I wouldn't be the only one alone for a good seven hours. And just to my luck it just so happened to be one certain curly headed boy who I had been purposefully avoiding the past few days. Seems like this would be the perfect opportunity to put Rodney's 'words of wisdom' into action.

I got up from my bed and mustered up all the confidence I needed to go over and have a (somewhat) mature conversation with Harry. I stopped in front of the full length mirror and over looked my appearance. I quite enjoyed my outfit today. It wasn't anything too flashy, it was simply just a multi-colored plaid half shirt, and a subtle flower print overalls. I decided to tie my hair up into a ponytail. After giving myself a second glance I decided to make my way towards Harry's house.