three

Chapter 3

I rode around my street on my mint green bicycle the next morning, enjoying the chill morning breeze. Mornings like this I would normally ride into town to check out the farmers market endulging myself into the authncity of our small town. I liked my scheduled routine. Routines kept my life in order, well I'm not sure how much order there is now that Angie left. But I guess I'll have to adjust.

On my way into town I decided that I'd make a trip down to the post office to send Angie's letter. I dropped it off in the blue mail box, but not before leaving a kiss to the envelope. I got back to my bicycle and began on my normal route towards town. Moving my feet, pushing the pedals moving me along the paved road just felt like second nature. I didn't even have to think about it. Turning down each street like I have my whole life. I often wonder what it would be like breaking this routine. But if I'm going to be completely honest, change scares me. Nothing good can ever come out of it. Therefore, I like to stick to one routine, where nothing changes. Everything's the same.

I finally made my way to the farmers market, leaning my bike against the brick building of the book store across the street. I took my basket out of crate attached to my bike and proceeded across the street.

Being that it was nearly 8:30 in the morning, not many people were here except some elder couples. I saw many familiar faces, seeing as I see them every time I come here. I walk past the booths with various fruits, and locally made and grown goods. I loved seeing the pureness of my community.

After buying a few fresh fruits and saying hi to the elders I had befriended with my many visits, I walked back to my bike. I placed the items I bought in the crate, and walked into the book store my bike was being supported by.

I heard a small bell as I opened the door, signifying a coustmer had entered. I made my way to the counter and expected to be greeted by Rodney, the librarian and storeowner. He had become a close friend of mine over the years, and I really enjoyed his company. I rang the bell on the counter and yelled out a "Hello". I was soon followed with the sound of objects falling onto the floor along with a few swears. The back door opened and Rodney appeared carrying a stack of books nearing up to his chin.

"God dammit Poppy, you can't scare me like that. I nearly broke everything in the back room!" Rodney scolded whie making his way to the other side of the counter while I remained where I was.

"Oh shut up Rodney. We both know you're just sleeping on the job again." I said giving him an eye roll and a playful smirk.

"Well excuse me if it's 8:30 in the morning. Not everyone is an early bird like you, Ms. Peppy." Rodney frustratedly replied.

"Oh c'mon, you know I'm here every morning. Just because it's summer doesn't mean I don't have a schedule to maintain."

"Yeah yeah" Rodney said while waving his hand in the air, disgaurding the topic.

I chuckled lightly to myself while Rodney put the books on a cart, and started to walk down the isles, placing them in the correct slots throughout the book store.

"Got anything new?" I coming up behind Rodney, looking over his shoulder at the stack of books.

"Nothing you'd be interested Poppy, trust me I think I know your prefece of novels by now." he said while placing a book on the shelf.

"Hmm, okay well then, what would you recommend me?" I asked making my way down the isle across from Rodney, skimming though the vast selcetion.

"Give me a second, there was a book that reminded me of you. Let me go get it." Rodney put the book down on the cart and made his way behind the counter. I followed and remained on the other side if the counter.