Chapter 2

Picture above is of Novahk's

Picture above is of Novahk's. He's missing his infamous scar though. Don't forget to vote/comment <3

In the morning, I wake up for the first time in days without a leaden feeling in my stomach. In fact I am almost positive I can make it through this day without it being one of the worst for me. That's optimistic for a school day.

When I go down to breakfast with my backpack hung on my shoulders, both my parents greet me. Which means they hooked up last night. Again. I mentally cringe at the thought.

"Hi dad," I say as I sit down on one of the stools in the kitchen island. "I would say what's up but I already know the answer." He raises a brow at my statement and disappears behind a newspaper. My dad does that when he is trying to avoid a confrontation or a possible awkward conversation.

I wish I could do the same. Disappear behind a newspaper and melt in the words. Nobody can find me then. And my parents won't have to be unhappy because of me. Dad wouldn't have the crinkles around his eyes, which appear when he's trying really hard to understand his complex and freak of a daughter and my mom who has a clouded, haunted look on her face. Always.

And finally they wouldn't have to pretend to be things they're not around me. Just because they think I'll get a shock and die or something.

"Hey honey, sleep okay last night?" mom asks, sitting down opposite to me with a steaming cup of coffee. For a moment I freeze, thinking she somehow found out about Novahk McAllister in my room but she's shifting uncomfortably in her seat and I realize what it is she's really asking.

Did I hear them doing the deed last night? The answer is of course, no. The new house has its comforts; numero uno being it doesn't have paper thin walls like our last one had.

"Yeah mom," she smiles at me, like I have given her the number to the winning lottery, in that too wide mom smile.

Breakfast is scrambled eggs and toast; the ones on my plate have a smiley face drawn on them. I gulp it down with my orange juice as I usually do. Then mom drives me to school.

This time dad offers. He says it's on his way to the office and it won't be any problem. He's lying of course, his office is in the complete opposite direction of my school but I don't have any problem driving with him. His car is this really cool Mercedes Benz and if I were not the social pariah that I am, it would have even elevated my social status. But that world and that word holds no meaning to me anymore, the world Emily and I used to chase not so long ago is far behind me. It seems so pointless now.

The sun is seeping through the clouds but it does not care much now that winter has set in. It's not snow season yet, but there's this whitish tint to everything, like somebody has gone through the pain of strewing snow powder around, which sparkles in the morning sun. Novahk McAllister's face enters my mind and I shake my head.