Chapter 19

I don't see Novahk for an entire week. He's not in his room and he's not even at school. It's almost like he is avoiding me which is ridiculous really. And I have finally decided I won't talk to him about the kiss. It would be too awkward.

But after fourth period, instead of visiting Mr Weinberger like I usually do, I walk into the cafeteria. This is an alien territory for me, and people stare, a lot as I walk into the room, my lunch bag almost crumpled under my hand as I squeeze on to it for life support. Atleast to walk the length of the cafeteria to the geeks' table, where I spot an empty one. And there is Seth sitting alone, concentrating on both his laptop and the croquets he is eating at the same time.

I slid into the empty seat next to him and if I say his eye bulges out of its socket it would be a gross understatement. He almost flips his lunch tray table on me.

"Krishna?" he asks slowly blinking. I shrug. If he was somebody else, I wouldn't do this. But he is a pariah like me, and the situation is important. I don't know why he is a pariah though, I guess you don't have to have reason to have your clothes stolen in the gym class on alternate days.

"Yes it's me. Look Seth I have another favor to ask you." A lots of people are staring at us. There are even wolf whistles with sounds like 'Match made in heaven'. It's coming from the jocks table. Stupid jocks. How is that they are so brilliant on a field and such a jackass off it. Brad Hampton too it seems has found his courage and he's one of them people who are making lewd gestures at us, like we are kissing or la la lah. I have no idea what the fuck that is. Trisha Beckeley has her arm around him, so looks like they made up. And there's Kristina Kinglsey, she gives a perceptible shake of her head like it's all really stupid.

I remembered a few months ago she would have laughed along with them. She wasn't a mean thing but she sure went along for the rides that her friends who kept the guns on other people's shoulder and then shot, deciding who was cool enough or who wasn't. What had changed then?

Maybe a few months ago, I would have slunk away quietly from the table, and prayed they forgot about it the next day. Now I don't even flinch.

"Just you like the co-ordinates of the video, can you like trace whose phone it was taken from?" he asks

"You want to know who clicked the video? I thought that was the boy n the video who did it."

I shake my head. "No we talked to him. This was not about a bet. Turns out he knew nothing about it. So I am asking you now can you find out who the phone belongs to whoever it was taken from?"

"If it's a burner phone or digital camera I can't. But if the phone is still working maybe I can try. I will ask my online friends to help me but it's going to be a little tricky. I am not an advanced level hacker yet."

"Any help would be good," I reassure him. "Please it's really important." He adjusts his glasses. The catcalls have increased it but I find it easier to ignore it now. Earlier before everything when I used to see Seth or Alice in the hallway I used to avoid them like plagues. I realize how unfair that was for them. I realize the strings I used to see before are not the strings which are in play at all. It's a whole different ball game and before that I was only half awake, being a comatose reluctant girl at home who had only a polarized view of the world.

"I understand. I'll try," he nods. "I owe Novahk one." I wonder what exactly he owes Novahk.

"So I think I'll see you later?" I ask. Seth nods vigorously. Then I walk all the way to the door again, my back straight, all the fears and axteity I ahd felt on my way in had disspeared. It felt good thi way. Maybe Novahk felt this way too, that odd disconnect tht ia m feeling right now. Maybe that's why he si so popular, because he doesn't give damn what people think about him and yet he ends up being worshipped for it, being respected for ebing aa little different than others, ebcuase he is not afraid of it.

And then at the last moment I turn around at the door, and see the entire room watching my every movement. "Oi Seth," I call out. "You know you're pretty awesome, right."He blushes while I walk out leaving the entire cafeteria agape, their jaw open in horror or whatever I don't really know.

There are no notes in my locker. I had expected some, atleast but for the first time there is none of that regular ho! puns neither anything else like torn Biology book pages containing pictures of condoms or a person over other. Don't have intercourse with somebody you don't know. You may end up being pregnant. This having appeared right after the video leak last month. I take out all of them one by one] and dump them in the nearest dustbin near the bathroom stalls, and which is also where I run into Kristina. She is coming out of her bathroom and when she sees me lighting paper in the dump instead of shrieking hysterically or clicking photos or anything else she stands near me and says. "So Christmas is almost here," she says.

"Two days," I say. And it's not like I need to be reminded. The cheerleaders are already wearing Santa hats and the volunteers are putting up MERRY CHRISTMAS banners on every hallway.

"You do know that it's illegal to burn things in the school compound?" she asks incredulously.

"And you do know that the cameras are a bust, and they should be the ones making sure there's nothing going on in the school that we have to burn later. So since nobody else does anything about the dump at lockers I am taking it out on my own. You have anything you want to burn too?"

She looks at me strangely for a minute before she shakes her head. "It was good to see you Krishna."

"Hey," I call out behind her. Even in three inches big heel she manages to look it good. "what about the Christmas shopping thing you asked about?"

"You wanna go?" she asks her eyes lighting up and feel almost guilty that I am using her for my own selfish reasons. Almost. Though I have braved a bit, I am still not the girl who thumbs through Abercombie & Fiche catalogues at malls and buys 3D Archie card presents for friends with xoxo written on it.

"Sure I won't miss." I lie and there's not a tone of falsetto in it.