Chapter 6

Dont forget to vote and comment✌

I replay in my head all the ways I can approach the situation. Tell my mom I am going out with Novahk today. Obviously 'Hey mom I am going out with a boy. Bye!' or 'Hey mom I am going with this boy who lives next door to somebody's place that I don't even know about to find out more about yesterday's video.'

So I stand there at the kitchen while my mom cooks lasagna playing a mixtape of her favorite ghazals on the iPod system and singing along with them. Normally I would be like 'God mom what are you doing, singing in that terrible voice?' or something equally horrible. But now that I have to ask her permission for something, it's a totally different dynamic. This is what normal teenagers felt like, what I felt like till last year, a feeling that I had forgotten. But obviously as all things that happened to me, my normalcy gave with a twist.

"Hey ma," I say sneaking up behind her. The heavenly smelled of roasted spice and olive oil attacks my senses. My mom is an awesome cook. And no I am not saying this because she is my mom and I have to be prejudiced about it.

"Hey sweetie." Mom smiles, probably happy that I didn't kill myself or something. Yesterday I noticed she had hidden the Benzenol pills. I couldn't find them when I was looking for the toothpaste. Not that I was looking for them, to overdose or anything because I had stopped the day Dr Phillipa had told me to.

They were useless and I sleep better now without them anyways.

"So I was thinking, since it's a really nice day." It is a crappy day. Like all crappy days in Northfield rolled into one glorious, crappy day, with the sun barely showing up for its job and this cold, cold wind always making you sick and that knack for mud rain instead of snow most of the winter. "Maybe I should go out."

Mom drops the ladle. She literally drops it on the pan but I pretend not to notice and continue. "And my friend is coming over to pick me up in a little while. We'll go together." My mom is so very still and she doesn't respond even when I call, "Mom. Mom. Earth to Mom?"

"Where are you going?" she asks and looks at me. Disbelief is etched on her face.

"About that well." Right on cue the doorbell rings and there can be one person. At first I had thought I would sneak out of the house or something equally stupid that I see teenagers do in those fluff coming-of-age movies. But seriously the actors in those films look way north of twenty, and it ends up seeming that those twenty something people are still trying pathetically to hold on to their supposed cool years of life.

Me? I can't wait for high school to be over. In fact at the time, right after the accident I had almost thought about taking online courses without ever stepping foot into outside world again.

"That must be him." I run to the door and pull it open and there is Novahk McAllister on my doorsteps, unreal as ever. He has his hands shoved in his pockets and gives me a big smile when the door is all the way open. And then he looks past me at my mom and gives her an even bigger smile. "Finally I get to the meet the mystery singer."

Mom blushes. She actually freaking blushes. Like I can see the red creep up her neck. It's so surprising I can't help but give a snort. Another one of Novahk's many qualities. A charmer of the general populace.

"This is your friend?" mom asks me and I nod. "He lives right next door." I explain.

"You are Mr McAllister's son?" Novahk nods.

"I have seen him around and your mother too. She is a sweet lady." Trust my mom to say that.

Novahk smiles. "She is nice except she has this tendency to make us eat more then we need to. Like stuffed stomach upto your neck."