Chapter 14

Mom peeks in my room on Thursday, which in itself is a miracle. She never comes here anymore. Now while I am in it anyways. I have seen my books move or my bed neat and ready even when I didn't do it. I think mom is trying to establish some kind of boundary between us, and not be a pushover. I appreciate that.

"So Kris I am heading to down to the mart for some supplies? Wanna go?" I rub my arms and say. "Do I have a choice?" I never do, not the last six months at least. It's like mom's afraid I will die if I get out of her sight or something. "You can come if you want to. I am not forcing you." With that she closes the door of my room.

I race to her, my jaw I am pretty sure is on the floor. I grip the banister hard, trying not to trip on the stairs as I watch mom rummage in her purse with her credit cards and other stuff.

"Are you serious? You are going to leave me alone here."

"Well you are a grown up. Would you rather I didn't?" I shake my head. This is good. This is a big improvement. Maybe now I have a chance to actually go to Wilmington without her freaking out completely.

"Grab me a couple of energy bars, will you?" I take one step at a time, carefully down the steep staircase. I think the only worst thing about this house are the stairs.

"And you'll call me if there's an emergency, right?" I roll my eyes as if that's not more obvious. "Duh."

"And even if you don't the alarm system will trip automatically," With that she swings her bag up her shoulder and patters down to the garage door.

"Wait you're locking me in the house?" Mom gives a sugar sweet smile which is the number one sign of don't mess with me young lady .

When mom pulls out of the garage in her Camry I make my way to the den. There's no point in going back upstairs since Netflix is down for the hour. There's a couple of CDs that we got complimentary when we bought to the new BueRay player and TiVo is full of crap that mom watches, like most of the shows on the Food Network.

I surf the entire TV but there' usually nothing good at this time of the day and So you Think You Can Dance marathon isn't like till the evening. I have a brainstorm moment. We had a VCR player. Dad's very good at photography and stuff and we all have these little family videos that we have made, its uncountable. It's probably still in the garage with many other things I have yet to pack.

The garage smells of gasoline and tar and there's so much dust on the cardboard boxes that I end up hacking and coughing for about ten minutes. My mom is as lazy as me.

The I search for it among the stacks, keeping each of the box down carefully and at the very back I find it. There's VCR written on it by my own blocky handwriting. Once I have brought it back to the den, I try to come up with ways to plug in to the TV. Since we still have our older model, it's easier to understand where the three plugs red, white and yellow will go on. After that's done and I have still not broken the TV, I search for something good to watch.

I come upon our seventh grade play where we did rendition of Midsummer Nightdream. Emily was cast as Helena while I was cast as Hippoltya. I just had a single dialogue( what on earth is happening, on seeing the sleeping pairs of Helena, Lysander, Demetrius and Hermia). It was weird to say the least, since our English teacher Mr. Gardiner had made quite a few tweaks in the play including a guitar playing Cupid played none other than yours truly Novahk McAllister.

And I looked so awkward and a bit pudgy in all the wrong places as I walked to and fro the stage and I stop the video immediately. My dad spent the entire forty five minutes including a blasted group song by me and Theseus and our helpers(which was basically all fifth grade students) and it's so horrible I wince everytime I catch sight of me.