Chapter 24

The hospital corridor is stuffy and it smells of bleach and something that can only be described as sick and sadness. The walls are full of cheerful phrases and scraped at places by nails marks of nervous relatives waiting. I don't remember the last time I was in a hospital, mom had once in a rare moment slipped out that I was in Northfield Hospital before being shifted to St Clare's for intensive.

When ambulance had arrived and the paramedics had had asked if somebody wanted to ride along with Mr Weinberger everybody had moved away. Only one hand had shot out, and that was mine. I had hoped to tell Novahk before we pulled out from the school, but he was nowhere to be found and I didn't want to send him a text just to bother him.

I didn't even call my parents. Mom should be at home and in two hours she would be ready to leave to pick me up. I would call her then. Besides there is no point in telling. If she knew where I am right now, she would drag me out before I can explain everything. And right now I can't even bear to let go of Mr. Weinberger. The thought of leaving him alone here is terrifying. Not to count the paralyzing scene I had remembered just moments before. Was it the truth?

Dr Asenberg had warned me that sometimes my brain would find a way to compensate the lost memories. It may try to fill it up with things that were no more true than the figment of my imagination. Is what I saw only a part of something I had think had had happened, or the absolute truth. Both the answers equally terrified me and chilled me to my bones. I sat there shivering. There was nobody could even talk to and he ters had started leaing down even before I realized it. the coffee didn't help, nothing did. Like a black volcano, my insides quivered. I wanted to shout, I wanted to cry but for what misery even I couldn't understand that.

At that moment the nurse comes out of the emergency room and I run to her. "Is he okay?" I ask her. She consuls her charts and then looks at me, "Mr Weinberger is out of surgery."

"Can I meet him?' I ask hopefully. Before I leave maybe I cam see him once.

"Are you relative?" she asks and I shake my head. "then no I m sorry. Did you fill up the patient chart. Are there any next of kin?"

"His niece. I don't have her number but that's the only person I know who he is in contact with."

The nurse nods curly, "Can I atleast see him?" I plead but she doesn't budge. "I am sorry. It's not in my hands. Hospital rules."

I want to tear my hair out in frustration and at the same time I want to cry all my pain out. I need to talk to somebody. Immediately. Or I think my brain will blow up inside my head. All my nerves frayed and the blood coming out of the nose, I'll finally be dead. That would be good.

"Ever feel like you had reached your saturation point? The point at the camp of a mountain which you thought was he peak and then somebody told you that was not the end. That is what I am feeling right now. If I could tell between the truth and he false, everything would start making sense and the hopelessness I am feeling would ebb away a bit.

But who would be that person?

Maybe calling mom would be a good idea. But then she would lie to me again. I couldn't rust that. I couldn't trust anybody. But I had to try, I called dad first. "Hello Kris. Are you calling from school?" he said. The sound of telephone in the background made m want to cry even more.

"No I am at the hospital."

Dad almost shouted in my ear. "Oh my god Kris are you hurt? You are at Northfield right? I am coming. Just tell me where you are?" I could hear the shuffling of papers in the background but know I can't talk to my dad with the quiver in my voice. "Dad I am no hurt,"