Chapter 25

My parents think I am sulking and they don't find anything amiss in my behavior, not aving a clu that I now know about their deception. They leave me alone and it's nice since I don't have the strength for another confrontation. It has always been a series of fifths between them and me and that is the last thing I want to continue. Not that I have forgiven them.

Nor Novahk who I have not seen in the past week, neither at home or at school. Well that's partly true. I did see him on the hallway on Tuesday and I pretended that I hadn't noticed him even when he kept calling my name, behind me. "Kris? Kris." His voice still echoing in my head now that I sit trying to concentrate on my Calculus homework. I kind of feel guilty for that. He had been constantly texting me since that fateful day at the abandoned building but I never replied. He stopped after Tuesday.

I pick up my phone to see if I have any missed calls or messages and then I hover over the Novahk's name but then finally toss it away where my hands can't reach it. But already I have melted, my cold resolve of hating my parents and Novahk turning to puddles.

My parents always approached a situation in the wrong way but ultimately they had my best intention in heart, even when my dad was suspicious about Novahk.

And Novahk who had always tried to be my anchor and help me put my legs back at the shore had hurt me even if he didn't want to. But now that my mind is not muddled with rage anymore, I can't what else he could have done. He stood by me and I should have kept that in my mind another wave of guilt tears through me. I should call him. I reach for my phone bu there is ee two text messages.

The first is from Seth who has been down with flu for the past few days and I hadn't gotten around to talk to him. Found something, he wrote on the body of the text. But did I really want to know who did hat now that I had finally been able to close of a chapter of my past. But then I shake my head to remove any remnants of doubt. To close the final chapter I had to face it. But it can wait for now.

And the next was from an unknown number. This is Lara Cathay, Christoff Weinberger's niece. You can come visit him. I raced to mom with the text all my anger at her forgotten. I could finally visit Mr Weinberger

Sleep comes easily to me now. I think mom and dad are pleased with it. they were not pleased with m though when I ran away from the hospital. But thankfully, by the time they both came home I was safely inside and so I could lie to them easily and that was kind of an end to the story.

Except mom who kept badgering me about stuff. Like Novahk. "Have you broken up or something?"

I roll my eyes heavenward. "No mom. We did not break up because we were never a couple in the first place."

"Okay," but she continued to ask me stuff about Novahk till we reached the white washed walls of the hospital where we had to be stuck for fifteen minutes to find a good parking spot since they could like fit only ten cars in it. Mom stayed back in the car as I walked back into the building and to the inpatient wing where a girl was waiting outside room 212 just like she told she would on the phone.

"You must be Krishna," she says smiling warmly. She looked a couple of years than me. I nod and extend my hand back to her. Her pale brown hair is rawn back ina ponytail and she looks like she hasn't gotten much sleep.

"I am sorry I couldn't call you earlier. I had no means of reaching out to you," she apologises. I waved her away. "It's okay. I just wanted to see him." I gesture to the door beside and she beckons me to follow her inside.

The only sound is whizzing of the machine and the drip-drip of the saline on Mr Weinburger's arm. "Kisna," he croaks. The bed is inclined and he is eating apples.