Chapter Twenty One

Marinette was, well, simply put, freaking out. She found herself crying in the bathroom at school, for some reason unknown to her.

She heard the fluttering of wings and knew it was an akuma, and even though she willed herself to say no and run, she stayed put as the akuma made it's way into her earrings. Her body refused to listen to any of her commands, as she was forced to stay in her paralytic state.

Against her will, she felt her suit cover her body, turning a dark purple and black. It reminded her of something but she couldn't quite remember what it was, she just stared at her new suit. It was the same as her old Ladybug outfit but instead of red, it was black and instead of black spots, it was dark purple.

She felt her body be taken under control by Hawkmoth and wanted to scream in agony, but nothing came out.

This couldn't be happening. She was Ladybug, she was supposed to be stronger than this. Paris needed her to be stronger than this, Chat Noir needed her to be stronger than this.

A wicked grin spread across her face as a purple butterfly mask came over her face.

"Miss Fortune. I am Hawkmoth. I will give you the ability to give the people who hurt you bad luck. But only if you give me Ladybug's and Chat Noir's miraculous."

No!

"Yes, Hawkmoth."

~~~~~

It was Marinette and Chat Noir on top of a tall brick building. He stood there, looking at his partner and girlfriend, who was akumatized.

"Ladybug please-"

"I'm not Ladybug, silly kitty." She giggled, holding a hand to her mouth. It felt unnatural to Marinette. She was Ladybug! She shouldn't be fighting her best friend, her partner, her love. But here she was, watching herself from the very depths of her mind as the horrendous show continued.

"Please, I need to make sure you're okay! I need you to snap out of it!" He pleaded as he tried to advance towards her.

"Marinette and Ladybug aren't here anymore!" She hissed. The knife in her hand was shaking wildly as he continued to walk towards her.

"Marinette. I know you're in there. I know you're Ladybug. And I know you're better than this."

"K-Kitty?" She saw his gaze soften as he hugged her.

No! Go away Chat! It's a trick!

"I need you back, Princess..." He whispered into her ear. Marinette fought. She fought like she always did, driven as hell and with endless determination, but it wasn't enough.

"Kitty- please! Go!" She cried as tears ran down her face.

Chat shook his into her neck as he fell to a squatting position, pulling her down with him.

'Miss Fortune' sank with Chat Noir, a cruel smirk forming as the superhero buried his face into her neck, tears covering her dark suit.

"Princess." She gasped as she saw what she had just done. To her partner, to her loved one. Tears came full force, burning as they streamed down her face. She felt her energy drain as dark black and purple bubbles surrounded her, before leaving plain old Marinette in their midst. The Marinette who had been fighting against her own body and mind to help Chat Noir.

Chat Noir was barely holding himself up as he slightly coughed into his hand, blood splattering his fist and dribbling down to his chin. A knife protruded from his back. Her knife, to be precise.

He gave her a slight smirk, dealing with the pain as he stared into her bluebell eyes.

"Looks like I won't be around to protect you anymore." He joked as he leaned his head against hers, his breath fanning across her bangs. The air smelled heavily of copper, covering the scent of leather, mint, and Camembert. He took in a deep, ragged breath as he spoke again.