Rekindle

There he stood. Standing no more than 3 inches taller than me. He walked past my mother to me and wrapped me in his arms. I tensed dramatically.

"I'm sorry. I really apologize for not being there for you as a father. I've been going to church. I've gotten therapy. I just wanna be the father I never was."
"Please let go of me..." I managed to mutter.

I felt like I had every right to be petrified of this man. The same man who told me that he has only ever seen me as a woman after never raising me to be one. How should I feel? Should I forgive him? Should I trust him?

"The only real reason I couldn't be there for you is because I resented your mother. I did her wrong and she called me out on it. She left me. I felt betrayed even though I was the one who was wrong. I couldn't be around you because you reminded me so much of her. That's what I meant when I said I saw you as a woman. But not just a woman, that woman. I never had any sexual attraction to my own child. But I saw so much of her in you and it hurt me in my heart to be around you. So I ran. Instead of facing my mistakes and stepping up to the plate to handle my responsibilities, I ran. It's taken me 21 years to accept this. 21 years to swallow my pride and face you again. And you've grown up. You're not a little girl. I'm sorry that I missed out on that. I'm sorry that I ran from you. I'm sorry for letting you grow up without a father's love." He released me and stepped to my mother, who stepped back defensively. "If I could revisit any time in my life it would be the day I did you wrong. I wouldn't do it. Instead I would be there by your side, being the man that you deserve to have. I would love you and cherish you wholeheartedly. I would protect you with my very last breath. And I would be there for you whenever you needed me. I still love you, Gabrielle. I'm still in love with you. There's nothing I can do about it. Even after all these years. I love you the same way I did when we were 18 raising hell all over town."

His face read sincerity. In fact, his entire demeanor read apologetic. My mother gazed up into his eyes, her eyes were glossy like she wanted to burst into tears any second. She placed her hand on his cheek gently. Then as I blinked I heard the sound of skin connecting with skin. She slapped him as hard as she could. He didn't retaliate. He didn't even bring his hand up to the cheek. Instead, he turned back to her silently.

"It took you 21 years, Michael..." her voice cracked as tears started to stream down her face.
"I know...but I never once stopped loving you. I'm begging you for another chance. I'm ready to be your man and only yours. I promise."

She smiled softly as he wiped tears from her eyes with his thumbs.

"We'll see about it. You'll have to prove to me that you really want me. And you need to establish a relationship with our daughter. She's the one who needed you most and you weren't there."
"Of course. But I guess that's really up to her."

He turned to me again. My head was spinning out of control and I didn't know how to respond to the situation in general. I started to stutter through a response but was interrupted when a familiar car pulled up and I breathed a sigh of relief. Chris parked and stepped out of his car. I placed my bags on the hood of the car and threw myself at him. He caught me and held me but I could tell he was a little surprised.

"Hey babe, what's wrong? Why you come at me like that?" He asked me. "Good afternoon, miss U." He gestured to my mother.
"Hey, Christopher." She waved.
"I brought your homework, baby. Who's this?" He asked.
"Michael...my um...my dad."
"Nice to meet you sir. I'm Christopher, her boyfriend."
"Nice to meet you."
"He's also her professor at school."

Michael's head snapped in her direction. His face went through a cycle of emotions from confusion, then contemplation, and finally content.

"At least she can't flunk his class..."
"I wish..." I scoffed.
"She has a habit of skipping classes. I told her if she skips mine I'll give her a D for the semester."
"Ainttheonlydillbegetting." I muttered between us.
"Yourparentsarerightthere." He muttered back through gritted teeth.
"I mean, I was told that a D is passing, but I don't want my GPA to drop."

There was a period of silence among us. Michael broke it.

"The question still stands. Will you?"
"I..." I stopped to think for a while. "Fuck it, I'll give it a shot."
"Whoa, language." Chris covered my mouth.
"I am 22 years old, fam." I frowned, removing his hand.
"Well I came to take Cara and her mother out to dinner for Valentine's Day but it looks like this could possibly be a double date...?" Chris suggested.
"I...actually kind of like that idea..." My mother nodded.

Michael looked at me as if he was asking for confirmation. I nodded. I'm not going to stand in the way of my parents possibly getting back together.

"I guess I'm already dressed for the occasion. But we need to put these bags inside first." I gestured to the bags sitting on the hood of my car.
"Don't worry, I got it." He grabbed up all of the bags and took them inside.
"He seems nice. And chivalrous as far as I've seen."
"Yeah...he's pretty great."
"She's in love, Michael."
"Yeah..." I smiled softly.

He walked back out of my house and closed my front door.

"Toss me your key so I can lock it."
"Actually, I had a key made for you today. See if it works."

I tossed the new key up to him and he caught it. After fumbling with the lock for a second he turned around giving me a thumbs up.

"Are we going all together?"
"I think we should go in 2 cars...only because I want some alone time with Chris."
"I'll drive." Michael looked at my mom.
"Sounds okay to me. I need to talk to you anyway."

We separated into Michael and Chris' cars. Before Chris pulled off I turned to him. He returned my gaze before I nearly jumped across the seat, holding his face between my hands. I crashed my lips into his, allowing him to catch up to what was happening before nibbling on his bottom lip, practically begging for him to take it further and he did. He slipped his tongue in and we fought for dominance for a minute or so. I pulled back, pecked him one more time and withdrew back to my seat.

"I missed you all day. You look really good, baby."
"Thank you, Daddy. You look...so good in that Polo...damn..."
"Hey, stop whatever you're doing. I don't need my seats all wet and your parents are in the car behind us."
"But Christopher...I want it..."
"Later baby."
"You should fuck me while they're in the next room."
"I'm not gonna fuck you while your parents are around, ma."
"You're gonna stop telling no, nigga I'm a princess."
"No you're not. You're my queen."