i'll find my way back to you.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
Song: Find My Way Back by Eric Arjes

"So what happens if we do see a grounder?" Mira asked, leaping childishly over a log. She turned to Naira, who was walking a few metres away, silently and peacefully admiring the scenery. Mira twirled her sword around in her hand, a new trick Naira had taught her, she had even let her take one of her many swords, explaining that Mira wouldn't go very far in battle with her own. The sword Mira made from the drop ship was sitting in Naira's cave, as a thank you gift to Naira. Mira was having trouble staying still, due to her excitement.

"We run," Naira replied.

"Wow," Mira remarked, "your plans really are foolproof Naira," she teased, smirking to herself.

"Well if you'd worn my clothes like I suggested, we would only have to lie our way out of an encounter with a grounder," Naira told her.

"And I told you that I can't walk into my camp looking like a grounder," Mira replied. Naira shrugged in response. A comfortable silence followed and Mira finally got the courage to ask what she'd been wondering throughout their whole walk. "So why did you leave?" She asked.

"What?" Naira asked, walking closer to Mira.

"Why did you leave your village?" She repeated. Naira's face fell for a brief moment but it didn't go unnoticed by Mira.

"I told you," Naira explained, "there was nothing left for me there."

Mira rolled her green eyes. "I know that, but why?" She asked, Naira looked uncomfortably silent. Mira sighed, that was clearly a soft spot. "Three days ago my mum told me that my dad sacrificed himself in a culling and that he wasn't even my real dad and that my real dad abandoned us to have his own family and his son turned out to be a psychotic guy who tried to murder a twelve year old girl and nearly slit my throat," she explained in one breath. "So how bad can your story get?"

Naira smiled gently at Mira and took a deep breath. "I was blamed for my whole family's murder," she stated, staring far ahead. "I came back from my training to see them all lying in the living room with their throats slashed. My nomon, my nontu, my bros. I immediately knew who did it, but no one would listen to an eleven year old girl who was known for being impeccably ruthless and cold-hearted and the villagers planned to kill me the next day, so I ran before they could get the chance," she finished sadly. Mira stopped, grabbing her arm and forced her to face her.

"You're not ruthless and cold-hearted," Mira said softly, looking Naira directly in her teary brown eyes. Naira smiled gently and nodded. Before Mira could give it a second thought, she pulled Naira into a tight hug. Naira awkwardly and hesitantly hugged her back, a look of relief on her porcelain face. She hadn't seen anyone in months, and hadn't spoken to anyone who looked at her with a distasteful scowl in years. She was going to be sad to say goodbye to her sky friend. They pulled away and Naira quickly wiped the tears from her cheeks. The two laughed lightly at each other before continuing to walk, Naira teaching Mira some Trigedasleng to pass time.

With every step, Mira's heart beat faster at the thought of returning home. She couldn't wait to tell Octavia and Asteria all about Naira. She was surprised how quickly she'd grown fond of the grounder girl. They'd come a long way from Mira attempting to kill her. Before long, they stood in front of the gates of Mira's camp, hidden amongst the tree line. Mira's grin was wide and she couldn't stop it, until she turned to Naira, who was frowning.