heaven if you sent us down.

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
Song: Crossfire by Stephen

The last thing Mira wanted to do was leave Cory, but if she stayed with him any longer she was sure someone would spear her or cut her head off. She rose slowly and picked up her sword again, tears streaking her face. She felt empty and lost and strangely confused. She couldn't believe that Cory was dead. It had always been impossible to imagine her life without him, and she was forced to face the reality too early.

She walked away from Cory's body on wobbly legs with a distant expression. Around her, the battle continued and she didn't take notice when a grounder swung their sword at her. She simply swung her own sword and cut him down, sending him to the ground. Her whole mind had shut down in grief and all she had left was her instinct to defend herself. She continued to fight ruthlessly until a shadow in the corner of her eye snapped her out of her daze. She instantly recognised the figure as Bellamy, running awkwardly amongst the tree line. He was carrying a smaller figure and struggling to do so. She knocked yet another grounder over the head with the hilt of her sword before sprinting towards Bellamy and the unidentifiable figure. As she got closer, she realised it was Octavia and her gut filled with dread and fear of her being in the same situation as Cory. Some of that dread and fear lifted when she saw it was only an arrow in her thigh. It would hurt like hell, but wouldn't kill her.

Bellamy's eyes widened at the sight of her. Her face was covered in blood and it also stained her clothes in some places, it was even in her hair. His worry only dulled slightly when he realised it wasn't hers as she doesn't have a single new cut on her. Which meant it was someone else's blood. Mira had killed, and by the looks of it, a lot of people. The girl who arrived on Earth with hope in her eyes and joy in her heart was gone. She rushed forward and sat beside Octavia, whom Bellamy had placed down to sit against a tree.

"Shit," she breathed out, taking in Octavia's injury.

"You're an idiot," Octavia told her. Mira gave her a confused look in return. "You went all Tarzan and jumped ten metres out of a freaking tree," she explained.

Defiant battlecries stopped Mira from responding and made the trio jump. Mira looked past the trees to see people -well, sort of- attacking the grounders. All of them had some sort of disfiguration, such as an enlarged hand all the way to an extra head. The way they fought the grounders was ruthless, even more than the grounders themselves.

"What the hell is that?" Octavia asked, grunting in the effort to twist herself around to see the source of the sound.

"Reapers," Bellamy responded. The tone he used suggested to Mira that they were not friendly. That and the fact that they were fighting the grounders and in most cases winning. "Let's move," Bellamy said, moving to try pick Octavia up again.

"We'll never make it back to the drop ship," Mira pointed out.

"Leave me. I'll find another way," Octavia insisted.

"No!" Mira instantly protested. She wouldn't loose another one of her friends. Especially if there was anything she could do about it. Bellamy refused to leave her either.

"I'm not going anywhere without you," he told her. A sudden rustle of twigs made Mira spin around, her sword raised. Lincoln stepped back in shock with his arms raised in surrender. Mira slowly lowered her weapon.

"Octavia," Lincoln breathed out, rushing to her side and brushing her hair out of her face.

"Did you do this?" Octavia asked, "bring the reapers here?" Lincoln nodded and explained that Finn helped. He went on to check her injury. Bellamy and Mira reluctantly shuffled back and let him do so, since he definitely knew what he was doing more than either of them.