Chapter 5

I woke up with a fright! Recognizing the little girl's voice as my own mother's calling me down for dinner. I raced down the stairs, only to be stopped with the smell of Ham that filled my nose. Ham is my absolute favourite foods! "Mom! You made Ham! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I screamed running towards the table and grabbing four slices. "Someone must love ham" I heard Heather say as I was stuffing my face with the delicious meat. I was about halfway done my third slice, when James and Aiden came in the kitchen from downstairs, James scratching the back of his head. They both sat down and starting chowing down almost as much ham as I was.

"Hey, Emily?" I turned around to see Aiden standing there. "Yeah?" "Can I call you Em. I just think you should have a nickname, and it's shorter than Emily." Em. Em is what my dad used to call me. I stood there in shock. I need to get over my father. He wasn't a good man. Shaking out of my thoughts, I looked at Aiden. "Sure. I would like that." Turning around I continued up the steps. I walked towards my room and shut the door, opening my laptop. Before I could scroll through the newsfeed on facebook, James and Aiden walked into my room. "Can I not go anywhere with one of you always barging in?" I turned around on my chair.

"Sorry" "It's fine. What do you guys want?" James looked towards Aiden a bit worried. Aiden just simply nodded. "We wanted to know if you wanted to come to the movies with us? You can bring Cloe if you want." "The movies?" My dream! "Why? I thought you didn't want me to be seen with you?" "He doesn't care about that anymore Em, he wants to act more like a brother." "Aiden, I don't believe you. So James?" Turning my head to James, I continued. "I thought you didn't want to be seen with me?" "Aiden's right... plus" "Plus? Oh! This has gotta be good!" I smirked as he went on. "Plus" he started dragging out the 's'. "It's a theatre no one really goes to anyway. No body will see us there." "Now that's the James I know!" Closing my laptop, I got up. "I would love to come. Just let me change into something more..." Looking over myself seeing I was wearing sweatpants, I came to the agreement. "Appealing."

They both nodded, and started towards the door. "Wear something nice." Aiden whispered before shutting the door behind him. "We will wait for you downstairs!" I quickly got out of my sweats and put on my favourite outfit. It was pretty simple. It was a white lace sundress, with my light blue jean jacket and black flats. I quickly curled my hair, and looked over myself in the mirror debating whether or not I looked too dressed up for the movies. Deciding I was too lazy to change again, I opened my door, and grabbed my purse on the way out. As soon as I made it down to the last step, both boys stopped and stared at me with their jaws wide open. "Um, guys?" Aiden and James both shook their heads. "Sorry" "Wow. Em, you look. Amazing!" "Thanks Aiden! What do you think James?" "Absolutely breathtaking." We walked out the door and through to the car. "Shotgun!" I raced to the car.

Aiden walked slowly to the car knowing I beat him and he now had to sit in the back. He looked at me wiht puppy dog eyes as he got in the car. James and I just laughed. The car was silent, so James turned on the radio to break it. My favourite song, Something About The Sunshine came on, "I love this song! Leave it on!" James moved his hand away from the radio, and I started singing along.

"There's something about the Sunshine, baby

I'm seeing you in a whole new light

Out of this world for the first time, baby

And ohhh, it's alright!"

I looked out the window to see the car was stopped along the side of the road. "Hey, why did you-" I turned around and saw the boys' faces. "What?" "Damn Em! You can sing!" Aiden said excitedly from the back seat. "Thanks. I used to always sing with my dad. But ever since..." I paused. I don't think they know. "Ever since what?" "Nevermind. Let's just say I stopped singing." James looked me in the eye, before starting up the car again. "You should sing more often." I smiled, and stared out the window. We didn't bother turning on the radio again, we just rode the rest of the way in silence.