29. Fable ~ The Owl and the Hedgehog

An Owl sat in his tree staring out into the distance when a Hedgehog passed by. The Hedgehog had seen the Owl every night and finally curiosity took over. The Hedgehog asked the Owl what it was that took its attention each night to which the Owl had replied it had spent its life working out how to get close to the beautiful stars at night and during the day it was all he could dream of. The Hedgehog informed the Owl that if he kept his eyes open long enough he would get his wish. The Owl was old and wise and scoffed at the stupidity of the bumbling prickly traveller so the Hedgehog spent the night climbing the tree bit by bit until it got to the Owl’s house where it curled up into a ball and went to sleep. At the end of the night the Owl returned and was furious he couldn’t get into his home to sleep and dream of being close to the stars. Eventually dawn broke and the Owl watched for the first time the sun rising and realised he had been closer to the stars than he could ever imagined and his dream had finally come true.

Moral: Sometimes we don’t like being coerced to do something we do not want to do especially by those who are so different from us but sometimes working together do we realise our ambitions can be reached through a little sacrifice.