22. Pantoum ~ For Queen and Country

For Queen and Country I fight

And for our freedom and democracy

I'll not sleep nor take respite

Until removed is all hypocrisy

And for our freedom and democracy

I soldier on in battle

Until removed is all hypocrisy

I'll be there to watch that fall

I soldier on in battle

I fight evil and what it peddles

I'll be there to watch that fall

I don't do it for the medals

I fight evil and what it peddles

I'll not sleep or take respite

I don't do it for the medals

For Queen and Country I fight

A poetic form that originated in Indonesia.

A pantoum poem looks like it is a difficult format to follow, but in reality it is just a lot of fun. You follow a recurring outline. The pantoum uses four line stanzas. You repeat lines throughout the poem. Lines 2 and 4 of a stanza then become lines 1 and 3 of the next. By using this structure you give the poem its cadenced quality. Follow the instructions below.

1. Write a four-line stanza. Use your imagination; try to make the lines emotional. Just like with any other poem let the words take over.

2. Lines 2 and 4 of stanza 1 now become lines 1 and 3 of the next stanza.

3. Creating lines 2 and 4 so that connect lines 1 and 3.

4. Repeat the outline. Lines 2 and 4 of the second stanza become 1 and 3 of the third. Repeat this until you have completed your poem.

5. When you have reached your final stanza, then you go back to the opening stanza. Use the two lines that haven't been repeated yet - lines 1 and 3. To finish the pantoum make line 3 (from stanza 1) the second line of the final stanza, and make line1 (from stanza 1) the final line of the poem.

This is a basic map of where the lines go.

1

2

3

4

2

5

4

6

5

7

6

8

(and so it continues until the last stanza )

Last stanza

7

3

8

1