Chapter Forty

"I can't believe you were involved in that sort of business, and I didn't know! Chad, I'm honestly so disappointed in you," Louise says, putting her head in her hands. "Where did I go wrong, huh?"

"Mum, it wasn't your fault. I got in the wrong crowd, but dad stopped me. However, I suppose it was my fault that Jay is in here. If I'd made sure I got rid of all the drugs-"

"No, no. No one is to blame. I think we shouldn't play the blame game, it'll only end up tearing us further apart. I'm sorry, Chad. I'm sorry for how I acted. I should've listened to your side and not just...did what I did. This has made me realise something," we all looked to her, wondering what she realised. However, I had a gut feeling it wasn't a good thing.. "I'm not ready to be a mother again. I can't bring this child up knowing how terrible of a mother I am to you two." Well, I was right. We all gasped in shock, Jay looking at her face then her tummy which had the little baby.

"No, you can't deprive Malcolm of this. You're a good mum, we just weren't good kids. We lost our way, and it wasn't your fault. You can't give up now, Malcolm wants to start a family with you. As much as it hurts to see you with someone other than dad, you have to keep this baby. You have to move on. Me and Jay? We're fine. We're okay. I've almost finished uni, and Jay? He's almost there with his recovery. Mum, we are fine. We've turned out okay, you've raised us well and we can't thank you enough."

"Chad's right, mum. You can't be so hard on yourself. Sure we've had a few blips along the way, but we're great! We're gents, of course. We're great guys, well I think we are. That's thanks to you," Jay says, smiling away.

"Your father helped raise you too. I couldn't have done it without him." She smiled, but she looked sad. It was then that I noticed the tears in her eyes. They started to roll down her cheek, and Jay and Chad brought her into a hug while I sat here awkwardly. I feel like I'm fourth-wheeling. "I just miss your father so much," she cried out, "he was my rock, my everything..and he's gone," she cried as she hugged her sons. I noticed they were careful not to crush her too much considering the mini bump that was forming.

"You've got Malcolm now, everything will be okay."

"You can't forget your first love," she sniffed. "I still love him, and think of him everyday. I just wish he was here with us. Don't get me wrong, I do love Malcolm..I just miss your father. We went through a lot together, especially just to be together. Our parents didn't approve, but we loved each other. I feel like I'm betraying him by being with Malcolm. He's probably watching over me now, disappointed I've moved on. I don't even think I grieved for him properly, and everything with Malcolm and I was so rushed." The boys pulled away, Jay getting a tissue for Louise. Suddenly, she gasped. "I don't think I can be with Malcolm. Not yet, possibly not ever."

"What?" Chad asks, confused. "Mum, you said you love him. You're having his baby! What do you mean you can't be with him? You guys are married, remember? You live together, baby on the way.."

"I love your father, I still do. Malcolm? I don't even know now. I thought I loved him, but when I think about it...I don't. My heart still belongs to your father," she says, a sad smile on her face. In all honesty, I was shocked. I never expected this to happen. This was such an unexpected turn of events!

"Well, if that's what you think is right, we'll support you either way," Jay tells her, Chad nodding his head in agreement. Just as Louise was about to say something, there was a knock at the door. Jay uttered a 'come in' and in walked a girl with dark brown hair down to her shoulders. "Shayla! What are you doing here?" Jay asks, his cheeks tinged with a bit of red. Oh, this must be the girl.

"Sorry, I didn't realise you had company.. No one told me," she said, backing slowly out of the room. He quickly gets up and leaves the room with her, shutting the door behind them.

"Is that the girl he talks about?" I ask Chad, to which he shrugged.

"He never mentioned her name, but she seems to fit the description. Shoulder length hair, brown eyes, somewhat short. Hm, that's gotta be the girl!" He whisper yells to me.

"Why are you-"

"He might hear, I don't know!" Jay comes back in the room, a small smile on his face. "Who was that?"

"Shayla," he replies shortly.

"Yeah, but who is she to you?"

"My, uh...girlfriend?" A smile breaks out onto Chad's face and he walks up to Jay, congratulating him by pulling him into a hug.

"Tell us the story then," I say, excited to hear this. Is she in here too? How did he meet her? Ugh, either way they're a cute couple already!

His cheeks burned red but he sat down. Chad came and sat beside me. "Basically, she did some volunteer work here. It was to do with work experience or something. Uh, I'd bumped into her at one point and I guess we just connected from then on out. After her work experience was finished, I guess you could say I was devastated. It was only two weeks, but I loved hanging out with her. She made me feel normal again, and she did t care why I was in here. I mean, of course I told her but she didn't care. She's great. Honestly. After those two weeks, I wasn't sure if she would visit...but she did and I was so happy. I asked her out not long ago, and obviously she said yes. But uh, yeah. That's the story."

"Where is she?" I ask, wondering where she went. I mean, you don't entirely throw your girlfriend out. Okay well, maybe if it was a family matter...but then why was I here?

"I told her to wait in the games room for me," he replies.

"Well what are you waiting for?" Louise asks, making him look confused. "Go on! We'll be there soon. I've got to inspect this girl, make sure she won't break my boy's heart."

"Muuum," he whined, throwing his head back. She rolled her eyes at him and told him to go, to which he did.

"Young love," she mutters, a distant smile on her face.

"Mum? Are you okay?"

"I was just thinking about your father..and how we met young. If only it wasn't for that dreadful-"

"Don't do this mum, don't relive it. I know you don't want to, and I can't bare to. I miss him too, don't worry." I saw the sadness in his eyes, as if he was going to cry, so I enveloped him into an unexpected hug. I could tell he was shocked at one point, but then welcomed it. "You're still the best," he whispers.

"Don't think of the bad times. Think of the good times," I tell him, "they're the best memories."

"Definitely the best."

"Alright you love birds, shall we go meet Shayla?" We all head out to the games room to meet Shayla. When we got there, they were playing the ice hockey game that Jay loves. So bloody cute.