Chapter Forty Three

"Riley! I'm so glad you could make it, and you've brought Chad!" Mum exclaims, bringing me into a hug as well as Chad. He stood there awkwardly as she hugged the both of us, and I hugged her back.

"How are you?" I ask her once we pull away form the hug.

"Great, great. Your dad is upstairs. Ryan and Amy are on their way," she tells us. She turns to Chad, "Chad, how are you?"

"Uh yeah, I'm good." She smiles at him in return and tells us there was snacks in the kitchen.

"So, what's this special occasion?" I ask whilst snacking on some Doritos. Mum had the chilli heatwave one as well as the hot salsa dip. It tastes so heavenly.

"Well, we'll have to wait until everyone is here," she cheerfully says. "I'll be back, just checking up on your dad." She walks off and I push away the thoughts that knowing them, they were most likely going to do it. So gross. While munching on my crisps, I was shocked when suddenly I had some dip smeared on my nose.

"You have some on your nose," Chad says, a smirk plastered on his face. I swear it's permanently plastered there.

"Really now? I wonder why," I reply back. I wipe it off my nose, sticking my tongue out at him. I go to eat more and his eyes light up.

"Got some on your lip, let me get that for you," and with that, his tongue swipes at my lips and licking off the dip.

"Cheeky," I whisper, staring up at him. He'd placed his hands on my waist, pulling me close towards him. His lips were still millimetres away from mine.

"How on earth am I suppose to keep things PG, princess? With you always looking so darn hot and beautiful? You go on and tell me, how am I suppose to do that?" He is so hot, how did I get so lucky? "I don't hear any answer, princess."

After about thirty or so seconds of just staring at each other, we heard the clearing of a throat and immediately pulled away from each other. My dad stood there with his arms crossed, not looking very pleased. Oops. He walked out of the kitchen. "That's your answer."

"How?"

"That's how you keep it PG. Just think about it, my dad will kill you. Didn't you see that look in his eyes?" I saw Chad gulp and to distract himself, he ate some chocolate cookies that my mum had placed out. The doorbell had rung and after a few minutes, Amy and Ryan walk into the kitchen with mum.

"You two, leave some for everyone else!" Mum scolds, scowling at Chad and I. I have to admit, we had eaten quite a bit already. Oops.

The evening came quickly with everyone spending most of the time catching up and chatting. Mum and dad stayed upstairs the majority of the time, and I dreaded to think what they were doing. Chad, Ryan, Amy and I stayed downstairs chatting with the tv on in the background. Most of the attention had been diverted to Amy and Ryan's wedding. They hadn't yet started planning because they wanted to spend time and enjoy being engaged. They said they'd start planning in about a few months or so. They looked really happy, and it made my heart fill with joy.

Chad steered clear of the conversation, hanging back a little. He didn't engage himself much and it made me wonder why. I'll ask later. "So Chad, you staying for the weekend?" Ryan asks, trying to get Chad involved. Ryan, you awesome brother.

"Um, yeah. I am."

"Nice. So, what's up? I mean, I know you're dating my sister but yeah. Don't know much about you."

"Nothing much to say, really." Chad, be social please.

"Brothers? Sisters?"

"Got a brother and step-sister. Pretty sure you know her. You know Stephanie?" Ryan nodded his head. "Uh, got a sibling on the way."

"Nice. What do you like to do?"

"Your sister," he replies with. His eyes widen upon realising he actually said that. Amy stifles a laugh and I stare at Chad and then to Ryan, dreading his reaction. Ryan looked like he was going to blow. His eyes were slits as he glared at Chad, standing up with his fists balled up. Chad gulped, but stayed seated in his place.

"Ryan," I warned when he was getting closer to Chad.

"Take that back," he snarls out.

"I- Uh- I take it back. It was just a joke, sorry," Chad rushes out, a completely mortified look on his face.

"Dinner's ready!" Mum says, coming down the stairs. She notices the tension in the room but chooses not to say anything. "Dining room everyone," she calls out, realising no one was following her. Dad comes down too, a smile on his face until he realises the tension too.

"What happened?" he asks, eyeing up Ryan's balled up fists. No one answered. "Ryan."

"Nothing." He passed dad and then we all followed. Chad and I sat next to each other, and Amy and Ryan did too. Mum and dad sat at opposite ends of the table. After eating dinner, we all ate some dessert too. We then migrated back into the living room where mum and dad sat us down. Amy and I sat right in the middle to avoid any conflict between Chad and Ryan. I obviously sat next to Chad, and held his hand too.

"So as you know, we decided quite a bit ago that we were going to adopt," dad starts off.

"We've been sorting all this paperwork out and going through the lengthy process, but we've been allowed to adopt a few children now." A smile grew on my face as mum said that. I'm going to have more siblings! "We're meeting the kids tomorrow that we chose. There's two boys who are brothers and a little girl who is like their sister. They're orphans and we wanted to give them the best we can, as well as keeping them together."

"The eldest is seven, which is one of the boys. His brother is five, and the little girl is three. When we officially adopt them, we're hoping you guys will come over to meet them?" Dad asks, a smile on his face. Aw, they look so happy.

"Of course, you know we'll be here to support you both," Ryan speaks up, grinning away.

"We're so happy for you!" I exclaim, jumping up and hugging the both of them. We all have a little bit of celebratory drinks before Ryan goes to drop Amy off at home. Dad tells Chad that he set the guest room up for him and made it clear to the both of us that no funny business was suppose to go on. He also made it clear that none of us would be able to sleep in the same bed as long as we are staying here. Sure, it made me a little sad. I liked to cuddle with Chad, but I understood. Dad never liked me having boyfriend, and I've never understood. I hope he's less strict with my new sister. I mean, she's only three.

"Goodnight you two," mum says, kissing me in the forehead. She pats Chad on the back and heads upstairs. Dad says goodnight to us too and heads up. Chad and I cuddled on the couch for a bit watching some tv. It was peaceful until Ryan came home.

"Keep your hands off of her," he snarled out, glaring at Chad.

"Grow up, Ryan," I say, rolling my eyes. "We're dating. This is what couples do. Get over it."

"That 'joke' wasn't cool, by the way. That's my sister you're talking about," Ryan says, looking directly at Chad.

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't really think-"

"No you bloody well did not! If you ever make jokes like that again, you're done." Done? Gosh, this boy needs to grow up. Although, I do love how he looks out for me. Gotta love him. With those final words, Ryan heads upstairs.

"Ugh, your family hate me so much," Chad signs out.

"Not really. My mum likes you."

"Wow, your mum. Your brother and dad hate me, princess."

"Yeah but they're just really protective. Once they get to know you, then they'll warm up to you. Oh, and you probably shouldn't say those jokes in front of them."

"I won't. It just came out, but you do know that I really do like to do you," he whispers in my ear, making me laugh.

"I like to do you too," I reply back, still laughing.

"We are so romantic."

"I know."