Prologue

AN: This is just a flashback on how Naruto got this mission in the first place. I DO NOT OWN NARUTO AND I NEVER SHALL!

(This prologue was greatly, greatly influenced by the 1st chapter of SilverKatana's Behind the Mask: Silver Blood Fox)

ENJOY~!

??? P.O.V

It was mid-afternoon and the Third Hokage was in his office looking at the list of students currently enrolled in the Academy (namely Iruka's class). Suddenly five ANBU members appeared in the office.

"Ah, Squad One, back already hmm? Faster than usual," the Hokage said, looking up. "May I have the report please?"

A fox-masked ANBU took a step forward, dressed in a black ANBU uniform, accompanied with his signature red katana strapped to his back. He was of medium height with spiky blood red hair, (Sorta like Minato's but a little shorter) and bright green eyes. He raised his right hand to form a one-handed seal, dispelling the genjutsu he had placed on himself. The man's height suddenly dropped by a few feet, his hair slowly turned a bright blonde, and his eyes cerulean.

"Hokage-sama, eliminated all the targets," said the blonde boy, motioning to a woman in a spiky purple pony tail. "Snake has the scroll."

The snake-masked ANBU approached the desk, bowing respectfully as she handed the scroll to the Hokage. She was dressed in the standard ANBU black and gray, no noticeable weapon about her being, but if one looked closely at her kunai pouch they would see the deadly glint of multiple sharp senbon. "Good job Squad 1, at ease please." said the Sandaime placing the scroll on his desk.

Everyone relaxed, ever so slightly.

"Snake stay here please, Dog come up."

A ANBU with sliver, gravity-defying hair stiffened and slowly walked up to stand next to Snake. (you know who it is!) As he reached the desk, the Hokage smiled, "Remove your masks." As soon as the command was given, Snake pried her mask off the face with a large huff. Without her mask she was off duty, so she did not need to act like an "ideal"
ANBU, which then again she never did.

"That feels way better," she said smiling, "why do the masks need to be so stuffy? I can barely breath when I have it on."

Hiruzen Sarutobi smiled, "You know Anko, you could line the mask with chakra, that makes it less stuffy." he supplied.

Anko looked at Sarutobi, then said "Eh, I'm too lazy to so no."

Hiruzen sighed, "I give you a suggestion and you brush it off, ah, oh well."

Anko turns to Dog "Oi, Kakashi." when he doesn't respond she sings "Kakashi, is anyone home?"

Kakashi snapped out of his revery, "Oh sorry." he said removing his mask.

Anko stared at Kakashi, "whatcha thinkin' bout?" she asked

"Nothing." he responded which was the total opposite, 'Why put me as a jonin instructor, what good does it do having me associate with kids? ' he thought

We'll miss you on the team Kakashi, good luck with the genin." Naruto said softly.

"Arigato, Naruto-taichou." he said, striding out of the office.

"He'll get over it," said Hiruzen sensing Naruto's concern for his friend and teammate. "also Anko your free for the day."

"YES!" Anko yelled jumping up and pumping her fist. "Arigato Hokage-sama! Ja matane, Naru-chan!" Then she bounced out the window screaming "DANGO-CHAN HERE I COME!!!" Causing everyone to sweat drop.

As soon as Anko was out of sight Naruto took off his mask. Naruto turned around and dismissed the last three members of his team (too lazy to say who they are, they won't show up again anyway.)

"What were you looking at when we came back jiji?" Naruto asked as he sat down on the desk. "Oh, it's pictures of the current kids in the academy. Also, Naruto, you should look at this." He showed Naruto the paper and pointed to a specific picture on the sheet.

He examined the face, "Looks like a mini version of Itachi-san." Naruto said raising his head to look at the old Hokage.

"Hm, I thought you would say that, well while we're on the topic, Naruto, I'm assigning you this mission. You will attend the academy, undercover, and watch Sasuke's progress at the academy, and while you at it I want you to keep an eye on Mizuki. He's been acting a little weird lately."

Naruto perked up after hearing Mizuki's name, he remembered that Mizuki had a huge grudge on him because of Kurama. "Ok, how long will I need to stay undercover?"

"One year, try not to show off in front of the students, and you will be playing a HAPPY-GO-LUCKY, annoying brat who's dead last and dreams of becoming Hokage, ok? And you start tomorrow."

Hiruzen was staring at Naruto waiting for his reaction, he was pretty sure he knew how the prodigy was going to act. '3...2...1...0 ' Hiruzen thought.

"WHAT?!?!?!? A WHOLE YEAR!!! You expect me to sit in the academy and play dumb for A WHOLE YEAR!!! And why would I want to be a Hokage!? I don't want to sit in an office doing paperwork all day, that's so boring!"

Sandaime sighed, "Naruto, this is a mission that can be done by any one else but you, your the same age as them, causing less suspicion." The Hokage held out a Hitai-ate.

"Ugh, fine, I accept," Naruto snapped. "But if there is someone that pisses me off I quit the mission!" He grabbed the Hitai-ate and left, pouting. Sarutobi smiled as Naruto left, even though the prodigy had threatened that he would abandon the mission, Sarutobi knew that the boy would never do that. Naruto always, always, saw the mission through to the end.

Sarutobi sighed and decided to get back to battling his greatest enemy before his assistant started to yell at him, 'Ugh, why does it always have a continuous attack, just die already. PAPERWORK!'

Hi, Mistmoon12 here, just a note: The next chapter is also a flashback, of Naruto's first day at the academy, stay with me, the real story will start soon! ;)