Chapter 131: What It Takes

The land whipped by at blistering speeds, roads, forests, rocks, buildings, all of them blurring together as Sigma flew past them. His mechanical mind was still able to distinguish between them on some level, pulling information and identifying relevant landmarks as he went, but it otherwise seemed like the world was fusing. And it was Sigma's favourite time, as an android. This was the only time he felt he could feel slightly less robotic, closer to a human than any other, where he could go so fast he almost overrode his circuitry.

Syn suddenly pivoted in the air and dashed downwards, spiralling before reversing, and Sigma knew his moment was over. It was too bad he wasn't in a situation where he could enjoy himself and this brief moment of humanity. But there was a much greater threat here, and far more at stake than Sigma's personal feelings.

The cyborg launched himself forwards, adding a burst of speed to help him catch his adversary, and he drew close enough to finally land a blow, striking down with his fist and smashing into Syn's back. The white android shot downwards in response, careening towards the ground, and Sigma dove after him.

Syn came to a halt just above the earth, his body suddenly stopping as he flipped himself upright, gingerly stepping down onto the ground, his massive smile never leaving his face. After all, this was all just a game to him. Sigma didn't hesitate though, driving down into Syn a fraction of a second later, like a meteor hitting the earth, sending out a massive shockwave that levelled nearby trees. A plume of dirt and rock shot into the air before raining back down on the two combatants, their bodies both automatically dodging the larger chunks without looking, their eyes locked onto each other instead.

The first move came to Sigma, who dashed forwards for a punch. He was immediately countered by Syn, the android using one arm to deflect the fist to the side, and using his other to follow-up with a punch of his own, driving his hand into Sigma's gut. Sigma was caught in the blow only for a moment, springing backwards before another shot could be landed. He dove in again, but pulled up at the last minute, watching Syn's reactive block show itself. He then whipped out his leg, kicking out Syn's leg in a sweep, following it up with a downward elbow into the cyborg's back. The android collided with the ground with another force to have him nearly bounce back up again to the same height.

Instead, Syn rose of the ground and took another kick from SIgma, this one knocking him away, sending him tumbling along the ground. Syn's internal sensors and systems picked him up though as he flew, stabilizing his body until he was able to slow down and stop, staring down Sigma as the pair continued their fight. "It is so interesting," he said, striding forwards to close the distance, "that our unique attributes are so useless against each other. It is just so fascinating to watch gods collide like this, to see our immeasurable strength and speed become obsolete against someone who matches us in every way. At the end of the day, this simply turns into a fist fight, like everyone else. It seems we are no better than they are."

"Speak for yourself, Syn."

"Of course," Syn continued, unfazed by Sigma's verbal jab, "neither of us were really fighters before this happened to us." In a flash, Syn was in front of Sigma, ducking the initial counterstrike from Sigma to chop at the cyborg's knee. He then suddenly sprung upwards as Sigma collapsed, using his shoulder to drive Sigma backwards and upwards, before flipping in the air and tossing him downwards. Sigma crashed into the ground, cracking it and forming a small crater with the force of his body. While Syn was right, in that the fight between the two of them did not feel unique or special, everything else around them was certainly feeling the difference. "One of us, though, is very much used to killing people. I just don't think you really have it in you, brother, to kill like that. Up close to someone, bit by bit, having to watch the life drain out of them. Who have you killed so far? Collateral damage, all of them. Massive laser blasts and explosions, and people caught up in it." Syn flew down to his opponent, pulling close to whisper. "But who have you set next to and watched die?"