Chapter 77: Tendrils of Agony

Sigma felt a pulse as his hand discharged a massive beam of purple light that cut a swathe across the battlefield, burning through Bahari after Bahari and leaving them standing in halves or with gaping holes in their bodies before they collapsed simultaneously. There was a moment of human shock in Sigma's mind at the power he wielded for someone only slightly larger than a human to be taking down these monstrosities that were as big as buildings. Then the computer mind took over once more and the feelings were gone.

The Jahari forces were quickly receding with Sigma and Syn's presence. The twin androids had cut down most of the approaching army, though Syn had also caused significant damage to the Artisans and Enians. He seemed to toy with them more, enjoying the emotional reactions of the pilots and the psychological damage he caused. When he killed the Jahari it was an efficient slaughtering but the human soldiers he lingered on.

This playfulness had shifted Sigma's original calculations, causing the Jahari to be reduced much faster than anticipated, and with far fewer losses in terms of soldiers. Still, Sigma was disgusted by his cyborg compatriot. How could anyone take joy in so much death? Where was the entertainment in ending lives like this? Sigma felt nothing close to happiness in what he was doing; he felt nothing at all. There was only a coldness that overwhelmed the android's body, that blocked out the fragments of his human components. At this moment, his computer portions dominated the rest of his brain, driving forward his actions.

Another purple beam shredded through flesh and bone, incinerating a wave of Bahari. The battle was over though. It was quite obvious that the Jahari armies were retreating, their numbers rapidly depleted by the twin cyborgs. The massive flying worms were dropping from the sky, diving back down into the Earth and burrowing once again, with Jahari soldiers latching onto the sides and moving with them. Sigma was simply picking off remaining stragglers on the battlefield at this point.

A cheer went through the different communication networks and praises to various gods and saints travelled on invisible waves between the Goliaths, soldiers, and warships. Enian and Artisans alike were embracing one another, giving out hugs, handshakes, high-fives, and a variety of other celebratory gestures. This was a battle against a myth, a former wives' tale, that had just been won. The creatures they had successfully fought off were not like anything that could be found on the surface of the Earth, and the psychological effects of engaging with the Jahari would not be known for many years after the war. But for now, it was only jubilation.

Sigma heard the rush of air as Syn flew up to float next to him, and together the two watched the humans beneath them. Had the androids not intervened, Sigma wondered, would this victory have even been possible? It was fairly probably, his computer mind instantly answered, but the armies would have been decimated by the conflict.

Syn wiped blood off his body, staring at Sigma's eyes with great interest. "Not going to rub in a victory are you? That's sportsmanship isn't it?"

"There was no victory here Syn. People died by your hands and I could not save them. That is no win."

"But in the grand scheme it was a victory no? I mean yes, people died, but you still come out successful in your endeavours. We had a competition and you won it by the rules set in place."

"It was created by you, and was always set up for me to win and lose at the same time."

"You're so smart Sigma, so smart. But I feel like you are just putting too much thought into it." Syn leaned back, placing his hands behind his head as he relaxed in the air. "Isn't it possible that I just wanted to have some fun? Why would I be putting so much effort into this? That's not fun. Fun isn't about planning or thinking or calculating. Fun is about running out into this big playground called the world and doing whatever comes to mind. It's about looking down at these humans running around and doing the first thing you can think of. Don't linger on it or worry about it. You just do it. Just do it Sigma. Act and perform and kill and murder or fly around in circles. I don't care, do whatever makes you happy."