Chapter 79: Standby

Sigma lay on his back, his body encased in darkness. Then his eyes snapped open and he gasped for a breath his mechanical body did not need. Immediately his systems restored around his vision, bringing up displays and information as his body scanned itself for any persisting issues. Damage along his spine, his back, but nothing critical. He had been hit though, and hit hard.

But by what? His system had not detected anything approaching him and now he was suddenly recording impact all over his metal frame. Sigma sat up and observed his surroundings, noting he was still on the battlefield, surrounded by Bahari carcasses and a few remaining Goliaths that had not been recovered and were now abandoned.

Syn was also still nearby, in a similar position to Sigma on the ground. The two exchanged a glance of confusion over the vast distance between them, their built-in binocular vision making the gap seem like they were right next to each other. Other than the two of them though, Sigma's radar was not picking up any other presences. He would simply have to use his vision to find this new enemy.

It didn't take long for Sigma to turn his head and stare straight up at the massive form of Ur'wrath. The hulking Bahari towered over both the androids, watching over them. From its palms tendrils were receding into holes, their jobs done. That made more sense then. Biological weapons Sigma's mechanical systems could not detect would have caught him by surprise. No more now though.

Sigma leapt into the air, trying to take off with a burst of his super-powered speed. His jets stuttered, holding him to a hover but nothing more. The android glanced down at his feet, baffled. "System test, run." He dropped to the ground as his computers went through a momentary reset and self-scan, running through all of his programs and functions in an effort to isolate issues. Functions normal, read the report.

The cyborg's brain tried to process all possibilities for explanation, scanning the environment and attempting to analyze his new enemy. But there was nothing. No other Bahari had done this to Sigma before. Not even electronic devices had crippled him prior to this. "Your escape will not be so easy target Sigma." Ur'wrath's voice echoed out without the use of his mouth, transmitting into the mind of Sigma directly. "I know that you will not run though, target Syn."

"It knows me so well," Syn glowed, relishing the words from the Jahari assassin. "Let us do the great dance of death with it then." Syn leaped up into the air, his own boosters struggling to keep him afloat and nothing more.

"No, Syn, we can't fight it, that's just-"

"What it wants? I know." Syn turned and winked at Sigma, using his eyes to motion away towards the horizon. Sigma nodded, slowly at first until he picked up at the hint. "Now then," Syn said, turning back to face Ur'wrath, "today you will get your hands on target Syn and I, in turn, will be able to put my hands into your flesh and skin you."

"Syn..." Sigma backed away from the two and began to sprint. Was Syn doing this for anything more than his own amusement and entertainment? Or was there something else inside of him? No time to think though. That monster could easily cover the distance using its size alone. Sigma just needed to get far enough before whatever was interfering with his speed was gone. Then he would return to the island with Allyson...and never leave it again.

* * * * *

"Hey, what's up Porter?" Chase smacked the youth on the back as he sat next to him in class. "You've been all quiet forever now and it hasn't even been because of sleep."

A pair of hollowed eyes turned to look into Chase's soul. The hothead nearly fell out of his seat at seeing them, but managed to barely keep his composure. "Nothing. Nothing is up." Chase shuffled away in his seat.