Chapter 91: The War in the North Part 2

The Martyr General sat in the dim light of his study, his face bathed in the glow of the multiple monitors in front of him. His hand waved a motion over his lap and a keyboard projected under his fingers. He began to type, and the monitors responded in kind, flipping through different images, feeds, and statistics. Information from all around the world was at his fingertips. Brokering deals with every country had its rewards, and Christian had access to every mainframe's network.

"Things don't always fall in line with plans, do they?" Christian mumbled to himself, looking over at the war in the northern reaches of the Enian Federation. "Where are the peons?" The man drummed his fingers on his knee impatiently, disrupting the projected keyboard. The plan was not entirely ruined, and was still well within his ability to resurrect, but the delays he had experienced, the unforeseen changes in behaviour, were certainly an annoyance. Were it possible to unravel such an intricate web with only some minor cuts, Christian would have never gone to such extents to begin with.

"Sir, your ship has landed." The black-clad soldier approached the Emperor's chair with caution, very much aware of the Emperor's penchant for sudden mood swings when interrupted. "It can depart as you need."

There was nothing but silence from Christian, his fingers waving over the light as the screens continued to shift. The soldier took another step forward, eternally wary of his master. "Did you know that for each country, each religion, each belief, they all have one thing in common?"

The soldier went stiff and stood straight to attention. Whenever the Emperor asked a question there were only two possible results: nothing, or swift execution. Something must have either fouled his mood or pleased him greatly and whichever way it had gone would control the soldier's future. "They all believe in a higher power?"

Christian laughed, the sound bouncing around the room and surrounding the terrified soldier. "Higher powers? They don't know if a higher power even exists. No matter where you go or who you talk to, no matter what situation you thrust a human in to, there will always be a common bond, regardless of what church they pray in." The Emperor spun around in his seat, his cackle continuing as the screens flickered. "It is a fear of death." The soldier stumbled backwards, his terror overtaking him. Such an answer could only mean this was the end of this pawn's life. "See, the fear of death is strong within you too." Christian placed his hand on the man's shoulder, steadying him and reducing the man's trembling. "It is natural, normal. All of human behaviour is guided only by our fear of death. It has stymied our world, held it back from true progress. But marvel at them." The Emperor pointed back at the monitors, images of the Jahari flashing by. "No fear, no pain, no emotions. They charge into battle without blinking, without stopping to think. They are the answer, the future. If we can harness such power over humans, we can reach a perfect state, a world without a fear of death."

Christian passed by the soldier and the man's legs gave out from under him, turning to jelly from the stress. The door hissed open, letting light pour in around the Emperor's body, turning his body into nothing more but a black silhouette. "But first, we have to clean the slate of all these pathetic creatures." Christian smiled, letting the door seal shut behind him, leaving the soldier alone in the room.

More troops immediately surrounded the Emperor, draping him in his cape and cleaning any dirt off his body. "How may we assist you sir?"

"Do you need anything?"

"Are you hungry sir?"

"Can I grab something for you sir?"

Christian dismissed them all, brushing them aside. He didn't need them anymore. What had once been useful, beneficial, was now just a nuisance. All he really needed were his Enigma soldiers, the perfect weapons to use on the Jahari. But with Sigma rogue and Allyson stolen from his lab, he had only Syn to rely upon, and he was a wildcard at best. But, then again, Syn was really all he would need.