CHAPTER TWO

─── TO LIVE IN A WORLD where nothing had made sense for so long and then be thrown back into a world that revolved around "normalcy" proved to make it a difficult transition for Alice as she attempted to settle back into the Wizarding World. She had spent five years in Wonderland, which was almost as long as she had been in the Wizarding World. But she had become so accustomed to the world of nonsense, that she couldn't find herself falling back into old habits.

"Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would.

No truer words had been spoken about her time at Wonderland, but while everything had made sense to the seven-year-old back then, as she tried to explain things to the others back in her original home, many had deemed her mad. Her own parents had told her not to spew such things in fear that she would develop a poor reputation and they didn't want others to think ill of her. And while she had felt a sense of relief in Wonderland upon her arrival, Alice also felt somewhat fear as time went on. She had feared that she would end up going mad and if she did, how would her family and others treat her upon coming home.

But the creatures of Wonderland were more than reassuring to the girl, from the Mad Hatter to the Cheshire Cat, and after awhile, going mad didn't sound so bad. In fact, they had reassured her that all the best people were entirely bonkers. So back in the Wizarding World, she didn't feel the need to change, although those around her were hoping otherwise.

The witches and wizards that came to observe her, from the Healers at St Mungo's to the Ministry workers, they all believed that Alice could make a full recovery and readjust to the world she had once known. There were even those that were trying to tell her that a place such as Wonderland didn't exist, but how else could they explain how a girl who had disappeared over a century ago had miraculously appeared, and only aged a few years? She had the body and mentality of a twelve-year-old as if time in Wonderland moved a different pace.

While she seemed odd to people, there wasn't any physically or mentally wrong with the child, as she appeared fine and quite sound. And while many had their own opinions and suggestions, it fell upon Albus Dumbledore,  the Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and the Chief Warlock of Wizengamot to decide the fate of the young Liddell.

There was no clear answer as to what he should have done, no direct answer to what could help the situation. But for the time being, his best suggestion was to help Alice make her way back into the wizarding world but treating her like a normal child of magic. It meant that she would be starting up at Hogwarts, just like she would have done when she turned twelve years old as her birthday fell late in the year. She would be turning thirteen in November, leaving it the perfect opportunity.

But until she started up in September,  Alice had been left in the care of a retired Healer, a widow, by the name of Mrs Synergy.

The hardest part for Alice was not meeting the woman or having to live with her, it was coming to terms that she couldn't go home. Although at the time, she wasn't really sure where home was, she was torn between Wonderland and the idea of her parents and Margaret. She thought when she arrived at Hogwarts, that it would only be a matter of time before she was allowed to see them again. She was happy with the idea of seeing them again and she was certain that they would all be happy to see her as well.