CHAPTER TWENTY

─── AND WHAT A DELIGHT IT TURNED OUT TO BE for Alice as she entered her room and found the Mad Hatter bouncing up and down on her bed

─── AND WHAT A DELIGHT IT TURNED OUT TO BE for Alice as she entered her room and found the Mad Hatter bouncing up and down on her bed. His excitement was evident by the wild grin on his face and she couldn't help herself but match with equal giddiness. She abandoned everything, including Mr Rabbit, in order, to race over and tackle Hatter in a strong hug. Immediately, she had all sorts of questions running through her mind and she found herself wanting to ask all of them at once. But it was best not to overwhelm the Hatter with all of them, as she settled on asking only one.

"Hatter," she said as she pulled away from his arms, " what are you doing here?"

"Well," he began, rubbing his chin, " I was simply pouring myself a cup of tea and then I found myself in the most unusual place. Is this your home, Alice?"

With an unsure look of how to describe Mrs Synergy's home, Alice gave a small shrug of her shoulders. "I wouldn't call it home, Hatter, but this is where I live for now."

It was clear on Hatter's face that he did not approve, probably because the decor was too plain for his liking. He opened his mouth, probably willing to give some suggestions of how to spruce up the place to his liking, but he was interrupted as Mrs Synergy appeared at the door. A shrill scream escaped her lips as she spotted the stranger sitting in Alice's room. Immediately, she grabbed Alice and pulled her away in a protective manner.

"What are you doing in my house?!" she demanded to know, not afraid to use her wand if needed. "How dare you-"

However, it was Alice, who stepped forward and grabbed her guardian by the arm, trying to get her to calm down before anyone was hurt. "Mrs Synergy! Stop, this is Hatter-"

"I don't care who he is," Mrs Synergy told her, " he shouldn't be in this household! Let alone in your bedroom, Alice!"

Alice's innocence seemed to play a key role as to why she didn't find any issue with having Hatter in her room. But to Mrs Synergy, there was nothing comforting about finding a grown man in a little girl's bedroom. It didn't settle well in her mind, but Alice was becoming frantic as Mrs Synergy pointed her wand directly at Hatter's head.

"No, wait, please! Stop!" Alice cried out, attempting to grab the wand. "You can't hurt him, he's my friend!"

She broke past Mrs Synergy and ran over to stand in front of Hatter with her own protective stance. While Hatter seemingly towered over her in the background, Alice kept her arms spread up to reduce the chances of Mrs Synergy taking a shot.

"You can't hurt him," she said, " I won't let you."

"And we're not about to stand by and let you do anything either," Mr Rabbit's voice chimed in as he neared Alice's feet, and Chesire took to appearing on Alice's shoulder. It seemed Mrs Synergy was quickly outnumbered by the number of Wonderland creatures, all of them willing to defend the one called the Hatter. And yet, despite the one being under threat, Hatter appeared more than calm, not even fazed by wand pointed in his direction.