CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

IT WAS ODD TO SEE ALICE NERVOUS

IT WAS ODD TO SEE ALICE NERVOUS. But the morning of their departure to the Lovegood household, Alice had nearly bitten down her nails to the skin. When it came to sleep, she wasn't even sure why she had bothered to crawl into her bed because she didn't even get a chance to close her eyes. Every single scenario of meeting her family ran through her head, the good and the bad, it was just unfortunate that the bad stood out far more than the good.

It didn't matter who attempted to reassure her, Alice continued to fear the worst. She remembered always standing out within her household growing up. How her mother grew frustrated with how she couldn't keep Alice still and how often her father told her to keep quiet. Margaret had been much better at following the rules of their family, Alice couldn't find herself surprised if her descendants carried similar beliefs. She knew her parents would have never approved of Wonderland, and it seemed even in modern times, many still didn't approve of it either.

She thought back to her conversation with Percy in the greenhouse. The way he fought the idea of nonsense because it served no purpose. Alice thought about how much she relied on nonsense in Wonderland that it became a part of her, what if she served no purpose?

"Alice! Quit biting your nails!" Mrs Synergy interrupted her thoughts. "That's a terrible habit! I don't understand why you're so nervous! It's going to be just fine-"

Before Alice could apologise, Mr Rabbit stepped in. "Scolding her isn't going to help the situation right now."

"When does scolding help in any situation?" Cheshire pondered from atop of the cabinets in the kitchen.

"When something needs to be hot," Hatter answered.

Mr Rabbit rolled his eyes. "That's scalding, Hatter."

"Who's scalding?"

As Mr Rabbit and Mrs Synergy shook their heads simultaneously, Hatter winked in Alice's direction bringing her to smile family. The saving grace of it all was having her Wonderland family accompany her to the Lovegoods. Even if things went to hell quickly, she wouldn't be alone.

When Mrs Synergy announced they were leaving, the woman seemed rather tense about the idea of travelling by Floo Powder with the group. There was plenty of potential for things to go wrong and she didn't need the Wonderland creatures running amock in the wizarding world.

"I think they'll handle it just fine," Alice reassured her. " You really should have more faith in them."

"I will when they give me the reason to."

"I don't believe they have given you a reason not to."

Mrs Synergy sighed, not really looking for a debate at the time. " I'm not sure if I agree with you on that one, Alice."

"If you're not sure of it, then why would you hold it against them? It sounds quite unfair. You should establish one hundred percent sureness before holding something against someone."