CHAPTER SIXTEEN

─── " WHO SAID THAT?" George spun around at the sound of the foreign voice that answered out of nowhere

─── " WHO SAID THAT?" George spun around at the sound of the foreign voice that answered out of nowhere. He and Fred exchanged looks with one another that only spoke of bewilderment and confusion, but Alice and Mr Rabbit actually appeared to be excited. Alice was spinning around, searching the trees, while Mr Rabbit sniffed the air, leaving the poor Weasley twins baffled as to what was going on.

"Who said what?" the mystery voice returned, followed by hysterical laughter that echoed through the thickness of the forest.

Alice cupped her hands around her mouth. "Cheshire!" she called out. "Where are you?"

"The question is, Alice, where are you?"

Suddenly, Alice felt a weight come to rest across her shoulders. She turned her head to the left, only to be struck in the face by a tail. A tail belonging to the one and only, the Cheshire Cat. Spitting the tail hair that managed to get into her mouth, Alice turned her head in the opposite direction, only to be met face to face with the infamous grin. A happy cry escaped through her lips as she practically jumped up and down in place.

Fred and George stood completely still, their jaws dropped, as they witnessed the talking cat that Alice carried on her shoulders. The tabby sprawled itself out before rolling off and disappearing before their very eyes. And while they had been raised in a magical household in a wizarding world, they both could agree they had never witnessed something such as that. Spinning around in place, they attempted to search for the cat until it reappeared again.

"And the mome raths outgrabe-"

The cat reappeared on a branch above Alice's head, still clearly singing, while one paw hung down lazily over the side. Alice made her way over to stand near the base of the tree, nearly in tears as to what she was seeing. To have one of her other friends from Wonderland suddenly appear had suddenly washed away every troubled thought that had been in her mind recently.

"Cheshire, how did you get here?" she questioned, wondering if he had found his own rabbit hole to come through. Were the creatures in Wonderland searching for Alice and Mr Rabbit, is that why he was there?

But getting a straight answer out of Cheshire was never an easy thing to do. "The same way you got here," Cheshire replied.

"Through the rabbit hole?"

"What rabbit hole?"

Alice inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, knowing she had to try and keep her patience with Cheshire because the more frustrated she visibly became, the worse he would make it. He loved getting reactions out of people, he loved the attention, and while many times Alice had been warned not to add fuel to the fire, it was hard not to.

"Cheshire, the rabbit hole that Mr Rabbit and I climbed through to get here."

"Who?"

Clapping a hand over her face, Alice groaned. "The White Rabbit!"