CHAPTER FOURTEEN

─── "HMM, I WONDER

─── "HMM, I WONDER..." Alice was in the library one afternoon in hopes she would find some answers to the many questions that were clouding her mind. She stood on one of the ladders, trying to reach for one of the books that was way out of her reach. Perhaps it was bit far-fetched, but Alice was wondering if anyone had shared any encounters in Wonderland before she did. And if they had made it back, maybe they had documented it. Of course, if that were the case, she was sure more people wouldn't think she was positively mental, but there was a possibility that they didn't call it Wonderland.

Part of her believed that someone had to encounter Wonderland before her and maybe after her without her knowing. If she recognised anything from any textbook, she knew she could put two and two together. But so far, nothing in the books she had encountered provided any useful information and Alice was finding herself growing bored as none of them held her interest.

Picking up another book after stretching to the tips of her toes, Alice was giving it one last go. It was a book pertaining to magical and mythical beasts, much like one of her school books "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," but as she fluttered through the pages, she had found herself with no more useful information than when she had first arrived at the library. With a heavy and frustrated sigh, Alice sat down on one of the steps of a ladder and rested her chin into the palm of her hands.

"Why must everything be so difficult?" she mumbled to herself. "I already know the answer to that...because if it were easy, everyone would be doing it."

"Well, I'm glad to see you learned something during your time in Wonderland."

Looking down, Alice saw Mr Rabbit waiting at the bottom of the ladder, bringing her to force a small smile on her face. "You know you shouldn't be in here, Madam Pince would have an absolute fit if she caught you."

"Well, it's a good thing I wasn't planning on being caught," he replied. "Besides, you think I'm afraid of that woman? Do you remember who I worked for before you arrived in Wonderland?"

How could Alice forget the woman that had tried to claim her head on so many separate occasions?

"I suppose there is no one like the Queen here in this world."

"And thank goodness for that, Alice," Mr Rabbit said, " I don't think I could deal with another person like her. This has been a lovely holiday from her loud shouting and bossy demeanour. Not to mention, we can rest our heads easy knowing that we're not walking on thin ice to lose them."

With a low laugh, Alice had lost count with how many times she had come under threat by the Queen of Hearts.

"I don't know many even in Wonderland who threatened to remove a head as many times as she did. I've always wondered what her fascination was with removing heads, after all, there are plenty of ways to kill a person, isn't there?"

"Well, of course, there are other ways, Alice, but the Queen had her reasoning, what they were, I don't know, nor do I care to find out," he said. "Anyways, find anything worth your time in your search?"