Back For You

(A/N Sorry, I know this is short but it actually used to be part of the last chapter but I decided it was to long which is why I uploaded them right after each other. I also am about halfway through my next chapter already so it might be uploaded as soon as tomorrow so yay.)

I'm shaken awake by a kind looking nurse.

‘Are you Harry Styles?’ she asks.

‘That's me,’ I confirm.

‘I was told to inform you that your friend Niall has finished with testing and that you may see him in room 176,’ she says.

‘How is he?’ I ask.

‘I'm afraid you'll have to ask the doctor about that,’ she answers.

‘Thanks,’ I say rushing off to see Niall.

Running down the hall, the room numbers seem to ascend slower and slower but I finally turn a corner and find room 176.

Bursting in, I see Niall laying on a hospital bed with his arms bandaged up. He has a little more colour now than before but he's still awfully pale. Surrounding him are a team of nurses and a doctor.

‘How is he?’ I ask.

The doctor looks up from his notes and smiles.

‘Well, it appears that your friend entered a coma because of severe blood loss to the brain. Fortunately, we were able to catch it in time and scans show that his higher brain functions are intact. The bad news is that while they're present, they seem to be suppressed. We believe that the brain is in the process of repairing itself and we have no idea how long that will take. It could be hours or it could be months until he wakes up,’ he says.

Months! I don't want to wait months to talk to Niall! Well, I suppose I should be grateful that he'll wake up at all.

‘May we have some time alone?’ I ask gesturing towards Niall.

‘Of course,’ the doctor says leading the other nurses out.

Once they're gone, I pull up a stool and sit down beside Niall.

‘Ni? I don't know if you can hear me but I wanted to tell you something. I know I haven't acted like it lately but I really miss you. I've been selfish and mean because I've been scared... I've been scared because I like you. I've liked you for who knows how long. And I know that you thought I liked all those girls I slept with but to be honest I only did that to distract myself from you. I thought that if you found out you would hate me. I know that's no excuse and I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.’ At this point I'm crying. I grab his hand and squeeze it saying. ‘So if you can hear me, I want you to know that I'll never ever leave you again. I promise. So please wake up, for me. Don't leave me alone.’

Niall:

I'm drifting on lake. Now, I know why you're thinking. ‘Silly Niall, you're on a hospital bed, not on a lake.’ But I'm in the middle of having a coma so let me think I'm wherever the hell I want, k?

Anyway...I'm on a lake. It's cool and peaceful, there are no bugs or frogs, not even any birds. I look up and see a sky filled with stars. I happily let myself drift along this never ending lake in total calm. It's totally silent and nothing moves. At the edge of the lake I recognise a ring of trees and at the very end I see a water fall. This must be the lake Harry took me to. That's nice. I wish Harry were here.

I drift aimlessly for what seems like days. I don't feel bored or anxious I just feel peaceful. Occasionally, I start to hear voices here and there but I block then out. I don't want to leave this place. Why would I? Back in that world I have to deal with pain and loneliness but in here all I feel is calm. Plus, in here I don't have to look at myself. I'm so ugly, if Harry doesn’t think I'm handsome then why should I? I've always hated my pasty skin and general lack on muscles. Now that I've cut myself up I must look even uglier. It's no wonder Harry hates me. Lucky these thoughts don't trouble me for long because the feeling of peace quickly overwhelms me again.

After some unknown length of time I hear a voice. This voice isn't like the others. It's clear and loud. It interrupts my peace. Why won't it go away?

Then I recognise it's Harry's. What is it saying?

‘...I know I haven't acted like it lately but I really miss you. I've been selfish and mean because I've been scared.’

Scared, why would Harry be scared?

‘I've been scared because I like you.’

Wait what?! This must be my imagination because there's no way Harry likes me. I'm so ugly. How could anyone like me?

‘I've liked you for who knows how long. And I know that you thought I liked all those girls I slept with but to be honest I only did that to distract myself from you. I thought that if you found out you would hate me.’

Hate Harry? No, I would never hate Harry. How could he think that?

‘I know that's no excuse and I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.’

His voice begins to quiver and I think he's crying. I feel something warm wrap around my hand.

‘So, if you can hear me, I want you to know that I'll never leave you again. I promise. So please wake up, for me. Don't leave me alone.’

I can't let Harry feel like I've abandoned him. I follow his voice back to where it came from. As I get closer and closer to it I start too feel a horrible throbbing in my head. Then a bright light hits my eyes. It's so bright that it makes me want to turn back but I won't leave Harry alone.

Finally, I start to gain control over the rest of my body and I'm able to open my eyes. I see Harry face down nuzzleing my side. Tears are streaming down his cheeks. I reach out and place my fingers under his chin, forcing him to look up.

‘I would never leave you alone,’ I whisper.