Gem

Hello!

Okay, so a concept (bending concept) in this is one I kinda made... So you know how the earth benders bend the crystals in the caverns? Then why shouldn't they be able to bend other stones? (Ruby, diamond, Quartz, etc.) Just thought I'd let you guys know!

And also italics mean thoughts... Incase that isn't clear haha.

Also again, this takes place when they are in Ba Sing Se in Book 2.

Enjoy!

~
It was a normal day in their stay in Ba Sing Se; Toph was helping Aang practice his earth bending, and Katara was half reading a book, half watching them. Momo was sitting next to her picking at a peach, occasionally stuffing a dripping piece in his mouth. Sokka was out wandering the city. He'd usually find something interesting on his motiveless strolls, like the one time he accidentally joined a poetry club.

Swinging his arms carelessly, he whistled as he walked along a road lined with carts and stands selling various things. Some held fresh fruit and veggies, others strong scented candles and brewed herbal tea; there wasn't a thing you couldn't find along the straight.

Sokka stopped and handed a shiny coin to a man with a greasy apron covering a round belly that hung low out of his shirt. He was handed a dripping glob of platypus bear. As he took a bite, opening his mouth with an obnoxious scrunch of his nose something caught his eye: a shiny green glint.

Putting the meat back in its tray, he walked to the stand, wiping his hands on his pants before cradling the stone in his hand. It was emerald and heavy, rough edges fading into smooth corners with ebbing buds of a soft seafoam. The color reminded him of a certain person, as did the soft surface covered by ragged rock.

"Excuse me?" He looked up and back into the curtained shop. A little lady with ash grey hair hobbled to the front.

"How may I help you, young man?" A honey sweet voice replied.

"Um, how much for this?" He held the stone up.

"Ah, that's a rare one. Very beautiful. Who's it for?" The lady asked, smiling.

"Oh, just, um, a friend." He stuttered.

"One wouldn't buy that for 'just a friend'. Come'on, a girlfriend?" She mused, making Sokka turn red.

"Not my girlfriend! I mean, she is kinda, I'd like her to be, but she's not at the moment," He stammered. "May you please just tell me how much it is?"

"I'll say 25 yuans."

"But that's barely any!" Sokka was surprised by the price. Even common stones would be more.

"If it's for young love I can spare the coin." She smiled warmly. After Sokka making sure it was all right three more times, he handed her the money and took the stone in a small brown bag. He fitted it into his pocket as he walked back towards the house.

~

"We're done for today Twinkle Toes." Toph said as Aang bended the last boulder back into the ground. She would've usually had him train until sundown, but he and Katara were growing antsy to get to their daily evening walk together; yet she could also feel the welcomed familiar foot steps of someone coming her way and that definitely played a part in the decision.

"Thanks Toph!" Aang shouted as he puffed a bit of air to propel him towards Katara, taking her hand and whisking her away. This left the earthbender alone waiting for the boy to arrive.

God does he walk slow.

A short while later the courtyard's gate was opened, then carelessly left to close itself.

"Hey Snoozles." She turned to him, lifting a tiny square of earth in his path, which was cleverly hopped over.

"Ha can't trick me!" He closed his eyes and gestured to himself as he continued to walk. His heel hit a pebble and he fell, a high-pitched screech escaping from his mouth.

"Ah! Toph!" He held his foot as he whined.

"Oh suck it up," She plopped down next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "There, there wimp."

"Im not!" He scoffed sitting up, trying to refrain his goofy grin that spread across his face.

"Oh, but you are." She patted his cheek. He scrunched his eyebrows.

"Anyways, missy-"

"Missy?" He was interrupted.

"Yes missy, now listen. I got you something." He scooted so that he was sitting directly across from Toph with his legs folded.

"Should I be scared?" She laughed.

"No! Just see, well not see, but you know." He grabbed the bag out of his pocket, fumbling with its string before pulling out the stone. He took Toph's hand and turned her palm upwards, placing the cool rock on it.

"Now I know you can't see it, but it's really pretty," he hesitated before saying the next part. "Kinda a lot like you. I mean, yeah, pretty."

Toph just smiled, running the rock through her hands.

"It's beautiful, do you mind if I bend it?" She asked. It was different than normal earth, but it still had some of its components, like the pieces where sprinkled through it.

"Oh yeah, of course." Sokka answered.

She proceeded to move its pieces into several shapes, breaking it apart and molding it.

"Sokka, I love it!" She pushed off her knees to hug him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and draping her body on him.

"I love you." He subconsciously blurted, realizing too late what he had said. Toph pushed herself up to 'look' him in the eye. The corners of her lips curved up and her sightless eyes shone.

"I love you too Snoozles." She whispered as she pecked him on the lips, pulling back then kissing him again.

Sokka's adventure days in the city really did always end well.

~
Awe cuties!

I love them too much, I mean, they're sooo perfect.

Anyways! Thanks for reading so much, we're so close to 10k! I couldn't be more grateful.

Please vote and comment!