Worth it

It had been a few days since Zuko had accidentally burned Toph's feet. At this point they were still hurting and blistered enough that Sokka had to carry her pretty much everywhere (not that she was complaining about that aspect). But at this moment, Sokka was off somewhere wandering the temple. And not like she could get someone else to help her from point A to point B, for Zuko and Aang were practicing fire bending and Katara was keeping a close eye on them. So Toph was left alone propped up against a column, much to her dismay. Her stomach's growl would interrupt her train of thoughts every few seconds; and considering they were thoughts of Sokka, it was a heightened annoyance.

Finally having enough, she decided she could walk on her own to get food. It was only a couple paces away at the water fountain, where they kept the fruit and snacks out so they were easily assessable. Although she couldn't see due to the current state of her feet, she knew the path well enough by memory. 

Carefully, she pushed herself to a standing position. The initial shock of standing caused her to gasp in pain, digging her nails into palms of her hand. Taking a deep breath, she pushed forward, taking a step. Each one felt like a molten knife piercing the soles of her feet. Tears streaming down, she continued to walk blindly, heading to her left in diagonal. She counted the steps as she went.

1
2
3
Still gravel
4
5
6
7
I should be close

She held out her hands in front of her, searching blindly for the stone edge of the fountain yet she did not find it.

8
9
10
11
12
Dammit it should be here already!

She then took a second to reface herself, making it so she would be heading forward and not diagonal. She thought that maybe she had angled herself too much, going sideways instead and just missing it.

13
14
15
16
Okay what the heck?

She grunted in frustration, wanting to stomp her foot yet knowing the painful repercussions of doing so. Taking one more step, then another, and another, her foot failed to find ground on the last step. Her weight was too far forward. As if in slow motion she felt herself tip, felt her foot sink deeper in open air. Closing her eyes shut, she screamed, feeling complete open air.

The falling sensation was abruptly halted though, a large hand quickly clasping onto her own.

"Hold on Toph, I'll get you up," came the voice of Sokka.

"Aye aye, Captain," she choked out, tears streaming in heavy clumps down her cheeks.

As quickly as the air had surrounded her, she was pulled up and enveloped into Sokka.

"What happened? You almost died, Toph," Sokka's voice was shaky and cracking.

"I- I wanted food, and I thought I could walk myself, but I guess not," she answered meekly.

"Don't ever do that again! I won't leave your side again, I can't lose you," Sokka sobbed out, tears wetting Toph's raven hair. His arms were wrapped tightly around her small frame, head on top of hers as she rested in his lap.

After sitting is silence for a few minutes, Sokka stroking Toph's hair to comfort both himself and her, he lifting his chin only slightly to plant a soft kiss on her forehead. Once he placed his head back down upon hers, he couldn't see the deep blush growing across Toph's cheeks, a smiling breaking through her feautures.

Yes, despite all the trouble burnt feet caused, it was definitely worth it.

------

Hey guys! Sorry for being gone for so long! School had kicked into high gear and then summer has been busy busy busy. I hope you enjoy this, it's a more sad one after the fluff I've been giving you guys. And I want to say a quick thank you for 11k reads! It's hard to even fathom that many people reading my work. It's beyond amazing, thank you❤️

Please vote and comment💕