Chapter 4

ANNABETH

When I woke up the next day, I wondered if it was all a dream. Maybe today was actually my first day of school. Maybe I just dreamed about everything that happened between Percy and I. I checked the date on my monster-proofed phone. It was Saturday. Dam. I guess yesterday was real. I pulled myself out of bed, brushed my teeth and changed, then headed downstairs. When I turned into the living room, I saw Katie sitting on the couch, her head in her hands. She was crying.

"Katie! What's wrong?" I asked and sat down beside her.

Katie looked up. She wiped her eyes on her shirt sleeve. "It's Travis. Why is he being such a jerk?" she asked.

"I don't know." I gave her a hug. "Listen, it's going to be okay. There are plenty of other guys out there."

"But I don't want another guy!" She put her face back into her hands and cried again. "I loved Travis. I still do. I always will."

"But you tried to kill him yesterday." I pointed out and brushed my hand through her hair.

"I know, but I was just angry. I wish I had chance to make it up."

"Katie?" a new voice asked. I looked up from Katie and saw Travis standing there in his pyjamas. Katie lifted her head from her hands and gasped. She wiped away her tears and fixed her hair.

"Um... How- How much did you hear?" She asked.

"Most of it," Travis said, his face turning pink. Katie stood up and faced him. "You... You loved me?" He asked. Katie nodded.

"Of course," She said, not looking in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry," Travis said quietly.

"What?" Katie asked, walking up to him.

The son of Hermes took Katie's hands. "I fell in love with you, Katie. I was a jerk, I know. I just... Gods, Katie, I can't lose you. You... You mean too much to me," he said. Katie looked down.

"I'm sorry that I tried to kill you yesterday. I guess I was being a bit of a drama queen," she said. Travis smiled like he had been waiting to hear those words for a long time. He put his hand under Katie's chin and tilted her head up, then kissed her.

I smiled. I knew that they wouldn't break up. I realized that I should probably leave them alone. Without saying anything, I slipped out of the room and left the couple alone.

***

"Yes, I'm sure," I said to Juniper over the phone. Yes, I know that demigods aren't supposed to use cell phones because they attract monsters, but if you knew the right Hephaestus kids, they could help you out.

"But what if he's just pretending?" Juniper asked. We were talking about Katie and Travis, or as Juniper called them, Tratie.

"I don't think that he was pretending. It seemed pretty real," I said while walking around the mall.

"But you know Travis. He could just be messing with her."

"Juniper, he said that he loves her. It's serious."

"But-"

"He said he loves her. End of discussion." I said. I heard Juniper sigh.

"Fine. Then lets talk about you and Percy." She said. I could almost see her smirking.

"Shut up," I said.

"Why? You guys kissed."

"So?" I said. "It didn't mean anything."

"Mmhm," Juniper said. "I bet he likes you."

I shook my head and let out a short laugh. "Yeah. Sure."