Chapter 17

PERCY

I didn't see Annabeth until I got to school the next day. She walked into class, looking tired. Her eyelashes were dark, her lips were red and her eyelids were a very light blue. She came and sat down next to me and yawned. She was still wearing my hoodie from yesterday.

"Hey, Wise Girl," I said, kissing her temple, "Are you wearing makeup?" Annabeth brushed her blonde hair with her fingers and nodded.

"Yeah. Katie and Silena needed someone to test their new makeup on," she replied, "We were up until two in the morning." I kissed my girlfriend on the cheek and she smiled faintly.

"Is something wrong?" I asked. Annabeth shook her head.

"No, I'm just tired. How about you? Decided what you're gonna wear for the dance?" Honestly, I haven't put any thought into that. What was I going to wear? I didn't own anything fancy. Maybe I could get a tux after school...

"Um... That's a surprise," I told her, gently tapping her nose. She chuckled.

"So do you have a dress?" I asked.

"That's a surprise," she said, imitating me by tapping my nose.

The day passed slowly, and I was relived when the final bell rang.

"So, are you two still going to Miley's party tomorrow?" Liam asked. Annabeth wrinkled her nose in disgust and shook her head.

"Absolutely not," she said. Liam stuck out his lower lip.

"What? Why not?" he asked.

"Because Annabeth's scared of her," I said. Annabeth shot an angry look at me.

"I am not!" she protested, "I just hate her!" She was a bit red in the face. Liam looked upset.

"But you two have to come! I am not going by myself," he said.

"Isn't Jordyn going?" Annabeth asked.

"Yeah, but that's one decent person out of like thirty people. Everyone else that Miley invited are super annoying."

"Well, I'm not going unless Annabeth's going," I said quickly. There was no way that I was going to show up at Miley's party without my girlfriend. Liam looked at Annabeth.

"Please, Annabeth?" Liam begged. Annabeth thought about it for a moment. Then, she sighed.

"Ugh, fine." Liam smiled.

"Great," he said. He looked back up and saw Jordyn walking a few feet away from us. "Uh, I'll see you two tonight at the dance!" He jogged away to meet Jordyn, who greeted him with a kiss on the cheek. I was really happy for them.

"You've always felt like the third wheel, haven't you?" Annabeth asked, looking at me.

"What?" I asked, taking my eyes away from the couple.

"Whenever you hung out with Jordyn and Liam, did you ever feel like the third wheel?" We started to walk to my car. I shrugged.

"Sometimes. I mean, I knew that Liam had a crush on her, but we could never find out if she liked him back." Annabeth didn't talk much while I drove.

"Is it bothering you?" I asked. Annabeth looked at me.

"What?" she asked.

"Where Kelli scratched you. Does it hurt?" I said, pulling into Annabeth's apartment parking lot.

"Don't worry about it, Percy," she said and gathered her things. "I'm fine." She got out of the car and walked around to the driver's side of the car.