H o m e

Dear Ian,

I said yes to Ethan's offer since I went home and did the math. Turns out, the gas money wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be and I'd still have a lot of money in my pocket to go home to you. It was five in the morning and we were riding on the freeway, I laid my head on his back feeling my eyes start to shut. I was scared to fall asleep because I'd loosen my grip on his waist and fall off, or even worse, I wouldn't notice if little bean jumped out of my jacket. I liked the way he smelt, his jacket smelt of leather, cologne, and cigarettes. It nearly put me to sleep.

Ethan decided that we'd sleep at a motel and leave as soon as we could. The bed was hard as a rock, the tacky orange blankets were as thin as paper, and Ethan kept smoking inside the building which made it difficult to breathe. I watched Ethan as he paced around the room and looked through the closed blinds as if someone was after him and this was his hide out. No one was after us, of course. That's just how he acted. I had to learn that the hard way.

'Are you going to sleep or not?' I growled, sitting up from my sleeping position to glare at him.

  'Nah.'

  'Why?'

'I'm too excited. Now go to sleep so you can wake up faster and we can leave sooner. I'll feed your cat.'

'Thanks.' I was excited too. I could feel my happy ending, I could see myself walking in your diner once again. I didn't know what I'd do first, would I hug you? Would I kiss you? Would I explain everything or would you forgive me no questions asked? I had a house in Brooklyn but you felt like home.

Love,
Dawn :)