Chapter 17

Vienna International Airport, Vienna, 9:36 am

Gabriel and Mavis couldn't believe their eyes. It was the exact same agent they had told the whole framing about. Gabriel expected a stern look on Eisenhower's face but his face gave a perplexed one instead. It was as if he was trying to say, what the hell are you two doing here?!

Mavis silently mouthed the words, "get us out of here," Eisenhower leaned over to an escort next to him and whispered something into his ear. The next moment, the security officer let the two go.

Mavis shot a scowl at the officer, intimidating him. Gabriel noticed the two exchanging furious glances and pushed Mavis ahead, trying to divert her attention. But she was adamant; Gabriel knew that whenever she held a grudge against anyone, she held it tight, no matter how small the conflict was.

Oh come on for Christ's sake!

The group walked to a corner, surrounded by a panicked crowd. Young adults frantically calling everybody to check if all was good or trying to inform people that they were safe. There was a group of school kids stranded at the airport; it looked like they wouldn't be reaching their parents anytime soon. Mavis even noticed a small toddler crying, all alone; she wanted to help that kid reach his parents.

But she had priorities; priorities much bigger than helping a lost kid find his parents. Eisenhower didn't look happy, she could make out that he was angry, mystified and maybe even a hint of worrisome.

Mavis ignored all the dangers and risks of the pernicious crisis. She wanted to take a break from her boring regular schedule. This was an opportunity she had grabbed with both her hands, with some help from Gabriel of course. But he was hesitant, scared, frightened. He had been confined by rules and regulations, and had been in the dark for too long. Now was a time to bring him under the limelight.

Mavis hadn't known Eisenhower much but she knew that he was a crosspatch. His face said it all.

"Do you kids have a death wish?"

Both of them shook their heads.

"Then what the hell are you doing here?"

Gabriel tried to say something to the nonplussed agent but the words stayed in his mind. Mavis rolled her eyes; there were some people who just never knew how to get out the textbook. She decided to take things into her own hands.

"My family is in here! I need to check if they're okay!" Mavis lied but any person would've thought that the excuse was genuine, even somebody of high virtue.

Unfortunately, Eisenhower wasn't one of them. "Oh please, you know better than to lie to an FBI agent," he scorned.

Mavis tried to continue her play by giving him a startled look. "You think that I'm lying?"

His accusing expression morphed into that of regret, "Uh...I'm sorry...I didn't mean to..." he trailed off; no words of remorse came to his mind.

"Fine! Let 'em go!" he yelled. They had to deserve special privileges; after all, this was because of them. Otherwise, things could have gotten worse. A lot worse.

"One other thing, we have a right to know" spoke Gabriel for the first time.

Eisenhower muttered some undecipherable words under his breath. Gabriel was sure that those words were curses directed at him.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever!" the agent grunted.

Gabriel and Mavis exchanged quick glances. They had entered the playing field.

* * *