Chapter 50

Saint Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna, 8:03 pm

Subramanian should have seen what was coming, but his ambitions didn't allow him to calculate the risks.

Sadowsky's hand was trembling while it gripped the gun. "You think that I'll give you the pen drive?" he taunted.

No one answered, he continued, "You've been toying around with me since day one. Now look how the tables have turned!"

Subramanian scoffed, "My friend, there-"

"Don't call me that," he hissed.

"There are around seven of us, and one of you,"

Sadowsky pointed the gun at Subramanian, "They fire, so do I," but the ringleader seemed unperturbed as the guards raised their AK-47's in defence of their master, but Subramanian motioned them to cease, "I know that I've been a monster, and I'm not regretting it. But down in the real world we're faced with ugly choices. All of you," he paused, "Are making an incredible sacrifice."

"Bullshit," Sadowsky fired, although he knew that it was sort of true. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out the pen drive. He placed right in front of the muzzle of pistol, holding the device with only two fingers and making sure that none of his body parts would intersect with the bullet's trajectory.

Subramanian smiled, "That job will be done by us."

That startled everybody but Giggs. "What? I don't understand."

"You should. Don't you get it? After we get the pen drive, we'll demolish it anyway."

* * *

Gabriel and Mavis managed to avoid attracting any eyes, especially Eisenhower, who would have thrown them out the moment he saw them. Gabriel spotted a hatch above their heads, if he had mapped the route above and below correctly then they should have been right next to the main entrance of the cathedral.

They both pushed the hatch with their full strength but it would not budge. Mavis' gaze caught hold of a rod leaning against the wall. She handed it over to Gabriel.

"Thanks."

He wedged it in between the surface and the edge of the hatch. They both pulled down with full force, and with a little help from gravity, it popped open.

They paused to catch their breaths. "Damn, didn't know that it would be so hard."

Gabriel stuck his head up to scrutinize the area. There was a crowd in the distance, being contained by police personnel. His legs landed on the surface, and then Mavis'.

The grand entrance was left unguarded. Perhaps, they were all inside. Faint murmurs were audible to their ears. They directed themselves to the source.

Mavis had a feeling that they were getting closer, the murmurs got louder and there were guards right outside the entrance to a catacomb. She eyed him, "We can't go any further."

"You're right," then his eyes widened. They had forgotten that there were guards outside.

Aw snap.

One of the guards slowly approached them. He fired a few shots into the air. Pieces of marble and stone broke off and fell. The two of them stopped breathing but the terrorist still continued his approach.

Similar to a jump scare from a horror movie, the guard flashed his rifle like a bat out of hell, so fast that they didn't have any time to react.

He grinned wide, "Look what we have here,"