Chapter 35

Purkytgasse Road, Vienna, 1:13 pm

The Assassin raced his Lexus through the almost empty road; he had accelerated and caught up with his target in no time. He was currently on his tail. He had been noticed, no doubt. Otherwise, Sadowsky wouldn't be speeding so fast.

He couldn't fire at the moment because he had to reload his Benelli pistol, and if he did, he would be far behind.

I seriously need a partner.

His target made a tight turn ahead of him, giving The Assassin only seconds to react to take the turn. Thanks to his luck and skill, he made it. He shifted his gears to gain in on his target, but he wasn't giving up so easily.

A pedestrian popped up out of nowhere, too fast for The Assassin to make a move, which resulted in the poor middle-aged man to be crushed under demolishing weight of the car, focused on the wheels. That made the death more gruesome. And to add to the chill, fresh blood sprayed on his windshield.

His wipers only smeared it all over the windshield, resulting in a diminished vision. That was not good for the situation.

He was disgusted, not because someone had died conspicuously, but because he had killed too many people other than the target. This was the first time it had happened. His motto wasn't coming into effect.

His collision with the unfortunate man caused him fall slightly behind, not a lot, but enough to frustrate him.

Sadowsky had just crossed an intersection, a red light had been run which confused the driver of a different car behind him. A public bus was on the road, and it looked like the driver was about to have shattering encounter with death.

And he did.

The public bus smashed the side, sending doors flying in the air. As if a monster had flicked it, it flipped over like a beetle on its back.

Then everything came to a screeching halt. Civilians crowded around, many were on the phone calling the ambulance and police. Calling for medical help was useless, The Assassin was sure that the unfortunate driver was nothing but a raw lump of meat. It would take a miracle for him to survive.

He slammed the steering wheel in frustration. Sadowsky was a man playing a dangerous game, a very dangerous game. Sooner or later he would lose. He reloaded his pistol and slammed on the accelerator.

He directed himself through an alternate route suggested by his GPS. He wished that his target was going towards a specific destination, even a tracking device would've been fine; that would have made things a lot easier.

If he hadn't completed the mission by today evening, the job was no longer his. A few hours weren't a lot for fifty grand; that's why he took the job.

He was speeding down a road parallel to the one where he was, Purkytgasse. Today was his lucky day. Christmas in July.

Sadowsky's escape vehicle was on the road perpendicular to his, The Assassin was back on track, literally. He rolled the windows down and stuck out his arm, holding the pistol. The Assassin was dual-handed, so firing from a car was no problem, whether he was in America or Europe.

He pulled the trigger, shattering one of the taillights. That was just a warning shot, he could have taken down both the passengers but he chose not to, defying his motto once again, but this time on purpose.

* * *

All the variables falling into Sadowsky's head was too much for him to render. Which turn he was to take, which tactic to use wasn't being fixed.

All he wanted to do was go home, get comfortable on the sofa and have nice cup of coffee while watching a basketball match.

But things had changed; if whatever that had happened so far was true, then he would never return back to his normal life. He had been dragged into an ancient brotherhood shrouded with mysteries, secrets and conspiracies.

He recalled what Lucia had told him about Schrödinger's cat; maybe everything was all fine in the parallel universe. But he was unlucky, very unlucky.

Only if I could reverse time...

That was impossible as per Einstein was concerned; Sadowsky was no physicist but time travel into the past seemed too farfetched and impossible.

Another shot took the side view mirror, which he ignored. Apparently, The Assassin was trying to intimidate him.

Sadowsky whirled around when he heard groans escape from Jerome's mouth, he must have been groaning from a long time but he heard it now only. Jerome's thigh and trousers were soaked in blood. Lucia used her handkerchief to bandage and keep pressure on the wound.

They had to get to a hospital. Fast.

If the bullet wasn't removed, then an infection would spread within Jerome; if bullets didn't work then the infection would devour him from the inside. Tetanus was not known to be merciful.

Lucia and Jerome kept low at all times, as did Sadowsky. He wasn't so comfortable with the fact that they were in a cat-and-mouse chase with an assassin known for his deadly aim. And they were the mice, scampering away from their predator.

The other side view mirror that was in good shape told him that The Assassin was only at an arm's length from them, it wouldn't be long before he would make contact.

The police cruiser jerked forward, a bump from The Assassin caused that. Oh God! The panic exploding within Sadowsky could not be contained. His instincts told him to veer towards any side at the oncoming intersection. There was one problem, there was a traffic light. And it was red.

* * *

The Assassin's lips curled into a devilish smile. The oncoming intersection's traffic light was red. The situation was in his hands, finally.

Although Sadowsky was his target, he had to give him some appreciation for what he had done. The organisation The Assassin was currently working for had Sadowsky their hands and he managed to wriggle free out of their hold twice. That feat was worthy of applaud.

The police cruiser dodged the traffic ahead and began riding on the side walk. The Assassin was sure that Sadowsky's instincts were driving him crazy.

A street lamp that was grazed against by the cruiser creaked and threatened to tip over. Unfortunately, it did, hammering into a civilian's car. Things were spinning out of control and getting too conspicuous. And being conspicuous jeopardised the entire mission.

Shit.

It would be no surprise if the real police were to arrive right now. The collateral damage was incredibly high. But then he decided to forget, if he wanted fifty grand, he needed to take Sadowsky down. All he needed to do was improvise, just like his target did.

The Assassin repeated what Sadowsky did, drive on the side walk. There were fewer obstacles because Sadowsky had cleared it out for him.

Police sirens blared and got louder and louder. One of the cruisers which actually had a real cop attempted to intercept The Assassin but failed miserably. He missed him and skid into one of the cars stuck in the traffic.

It seemed as if the collateral damage was to increase, disappointing The Assassin once more.

* * *