*Chapter Two*

Nick
    I watched as Connie tipped her drink over so that it spilled all over Gabriella. I winced and opened my mouth to say something but she apologized sarcastically. I shook my head but Gabby just brushed it off and left. I made to stand up to go after her but Brittany tightened her grip on my hand.
    "Baby, don't leave me." She said and I sighed. Abby didn't come back before the end of lunch. I headed for my next class which was math with Abby. I grabbed her notebook which Emma had dried off for her.
    I sat at my usual desk and waited for Gabby to come in. When she did-she had changed out of her regular clothes. She looked adorable in her gym shorts and tank top. She sat next to me and smiled slightly.
    "Are you ok?" I asked as I handed her back her notebook.
    "Yup, thanks." She sat quietly, waiting for class to start.
    "I'm really sorry." I said and she nodded. I was used to her being quiet-she was never one for talking-but this seemed like an angry silence.
    "It's ok-no one was hurt." She said and I let it go.
    "So are we hanging out tonight?" I asked, wanting to make sure. She looked at me, biting her bottom lip.
    "I was going to hang out with Joe and Emma, actually." She said apologetically.
    "Oh, alright."
    "I thought you'd be hanging out with your girlfriend."
    "No-she's hanging out with Connie and Vicki."
    "Oh-are those their names?" She asked and I smiled.
    "Yes-those are their names." She smiled. "So you're busy tonight?" I asked, a little disappointed.
    "Well-you know Emma likes Joe, and I'd just be the third wheel-so if you wanna hang, too I don't think anybody would complain." She said and I smiled.
    "If you're sure." I said and she shrugged.
    "Talk to Joe." She said as class began.
    After our last class of the day I was headed for my locker when Brittany cut me off.
    "Walk me home, Nicky?" She asked, fluttering her eyelashes.
    "Nick. And aren't you hanging out with your friends?" I asked.
    "Yeah-but you don't want me walking home alone, do you?" She asked sweetly.
    "No." I mumbled. It was so far though. She lived in the complete opposite direction of me.
    "And why can't I call you Nicky? Your friend, Gabriella, does." She pouted. There was something about the way she said Gabby’s name that seemed off, but I mentally shrugged. No point in starting an argument now.
    "Well, she's called me that since we were in diapers-so really-only she can call me that." I said.
    "Oh-ok. Let's go." She said, linking her arm through mine.
    "I have to go to my locker first." I said and continued to make my way through the crowded halls. I stuffed my stuff in my locker and saw Kevin.
    "You coming?" He asked and I shook my head.
    "I'm walking Brittany home." I muttered and he groaned.
    "What ever. See you later." He said before walking away. I saw Joe, Emma and Abby leaving. Abby was carrying her gym bag and some books. I quickly found Brittany and we left. We weren't far behind them and I noticed that Joe had taken Abby's bag and books. I sighed and out of nowhere Connie and Vicki appeared at her sides pushing me out of the way. I rolled my eyes and continued to her house.
    I said goodbye, hugged her and turned to leave. I was just about halfway home when Abby and Kevin were driving by in Kevin's car.
    "Hello, long-lost brother!" He called as he pulled over and I headed towards the car. Abby went to move to the back.
    "No-stay. It's alright." I said and hopped over into the back seat.
    "So how's Brittany?" Kevin asked as he turned around in some driveway.
    "Honestly-I have no idea. She talked to Connie and Vicki the entire time." I said as we pulled into Wegman's parking lot and shut off the car. Abby hopped out and headed inside. I looked around confused before following suite.
    "What's going on?" I asked as I followed her in.
    "Nothing-just getting some stuff for tonight." She shrugged and headed over for the drinks. She grabbed a couple red bull, monsters, rock-stars and volts. I took some out of her arms and she headed for the snacks. She grabbed a bag of white cheddar popcorn, combos, Swedish fish, starburst, and kettle corn. I smiled, she loved kettle corn. She then led me over to the nail polish. She grabbed a bottle of black, white and hot pink. We headed for checkout and placed everything on the counter.
    She made to pull out her wallet but I stopped her and got out mine.
    "Nicky-no. It's for me-it's mine. I'm gonna pay." She protested but I covered her mouth.
    "I'm paying-deal." I said. "But you have to help me with something." I said and she nodded. I paid and we each grabbed two bags and headed back for the car. "I want to set up a date for Brittany." I said.
    "Ok." She said.
    "I know what I want-I just need a little help setting it up." I said and she nodded. We put the things in the back seat next to me and we jumped in. Kevin drove us back to our house.
    We got out and carried in her bags for her. She grabbed a red bull from one of the bags and tossed it to Joe, one to Kevin and one to me.
    "So-it's movie night at my house-who wants to come?" Abby asked. Joe and Emma shot their hands up, Kevin raised his own and I shrugged.
    "Sure." I agreed as Mom came in.
    "Hi, kids." She greeted.
    "Hi, Mom." Kevin, Joe, Abby and I said.
    "Hi, Mrs. Jonas." Emma said.
    "ABBY!" Our little brother, Frankie, yelled as he ran in and attached himself around her waist.
    "Hey, Frankie." She said.
    "So what's going on for tonight?" Mom asked.
    "Movie night at Gab's house." Joe said.
    "Are you boys going?" She asked.
    "If it's ok with you." Kevin said sweetly.
    "It's fine with me." She said as Abby tried to free herself from Frankie.
    Joe grabbed Frankie around the middle and Kevin grabbed Joe around the middle and I wrapped my arms around Abby's waist from behind and pulled.
    "Frank-let go." Mom ordered he did and we all went flying backwards; Abby landing on top of me and Kevin, Joe and Frank in a pile. She met my eyes and smiled quickly before Emma helped her up.
    For a split second I wanted to pull her back to me and just lie there-but I didn't and the strange urge went away. I stood up and rubbed my head where I smacked it on the floor.
    "You ok?" Kevin asked as we got the bags and headed for Kevin's car.
    "Sure." I said as we all climbed in. Kevin and Joe were in front and Emma, Abby and I were in the back with Abby in the middle.
    We quickly reached Abby's house just as her mom was leaving for work.
    "Hi, Mom!" She called as we all got out.
    "Hi, baby. Listen-I'm running late-so not too loud-I love you. Have fun, there's money for pizza. Hi, Boys-Emma." She said in one breath. I felt a stab of guilt as she gave her mom a quick kiss and Ms. Hernandez drove away quickly.
    I had three brothers and two parents. It was just Gabby and her mom. She was alright with it that way, I guess, but I know she gets lonely. Her mom works three shifts at the hospital.
    We headed inside and she started getting everything set up. I followed her into the kitchen as she put a packet of kettle corn in the microwave, got out a bowl for the white cheddar popcorn and put the starburst and Swedish fish into a clear glass candy dish. I started opening the cupboards.
    "Hey-peanuts!" I said, pulling out a can.
    "Pour them in a bowl." She said as the microwave dinged. I got a bowl down and did as she told me. We put the rest of the drinks in the fridge except for the ones we were drinking. Emma came in and turned her back to me, facing Gabby. I could hear her whispering. Abby nodded and Emma shrugged. They picked up the bowls and we all headed into the living room. Emma and Abby went back into the kitchen and came back with the drinks.
    Emma picked out the first movie-The Cave as Abby went and closed the curtains and shut off the lights. Kevin set up the movie, Emma sat next to Joe, Abby sat next to me and Kevin sat on the other side of her.
    The movie started and I saw Abby already twisting her fingers. I was about to stop her when Kevin's hands pulled hers apart. I frowned slightly but turned back to the movie
    The next movie was Buried Alive-the Stephen King book. 'Great-another movie where my friend gets to jump into my brother's arms.' I thought bitterly. I don't know why I'm so upset about this-I just need to calm down. I have an awesome girlfriend. I took a few deep breaths and felt myself relax. After a few more movies we decided it was getting late and we had to go home. We headed out to Kevin's car and headed home.
    "Nick is kinda quiet." Joe noted to Kevin, looking back at me.
    "I noticed. I wonder why." Kevin agreed. They knew it bugged me when they talk about me like I'm not there.
    "Nick is tired." I said-hoping they'd stop.
    "Yes-it must have been tiring to listen to your girlfriend all day." Joe laughed and Kevin snorted.
    "Hardy…har…..har." I said sarcastically.
    "Alright, Nicky-we're done." Joe said.
    "Nick." I corrected. They shared a look.
    "Does Brittany call you that?" Kevin asked.
    "No-just Abby."
    "Oh."
    "Guys-can we just go home please? I'm tired." I said and Kevin nodded.
    "Sure thing." We drove the rest of the way home in silence and as soon as we pulled in our drive way-I jumped out and walked inside.
    "Where are your brothers?" Mom asked.
    "Outside, putting the convertible in the garage. It's supposed to rain tonight." I said and she nodded. "Night, Mom." I said, kissing her cheek and went upstairs to brush my teeth and go to bed.
    I climbed into bed and a few minutes later heard Kevin walk into the room we shared.
    "Nick?" He asked quietly.
    "Kevin?" I replied.
    "Are you ok?" He asked. That's why I love my brothers. They may pick on me-but they always know when something's up.
    "Yeah-just tired." I said and he sighed, letting it go.
    "OK-goodnight."
    "Night."
    The next morning I woke up early and went to sit on the back deck with my favorite acoustic guitar and some music sheets.
    I began strumming some chords and a tune popped into my head. I filled in the notes on the music sheet. I had just finished the last note when the back door opened and Joe stepped out.
    "Uh-oh-I told Kevin you weren't OK." He joked, sitting next to me.
    "I'm fine." I said, chuckling.
    "So why are you writing?" He asked picking up the papers.
    "Because I can." I shrugged.
    "Have you gotten the words yet?" He asked.
    "Nope-I was just about to start, though." I said and he nodded.
    "OK-well, if you get stuck on ideas then just call." He smiled before walking inside.
    I played the notes and waited for the words to come. I played them over and over until I finally got an idea.

If the heart is always searching,
Can you ever find a home?
I've been looking for that someone
I can't make it on my own
Dreams can't take the place of loving you
There's gotta be a million reasons why its true.

When you look me in the eyes
And tell me that you love me
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side
When you look me in the eyes
I catch a glimpse of Heaven
I find my paradise
When you look me in the eyes.

    Every once in a while someone would come out to ask if I needed anything.
    Finally I had the song finished after about two hours. I played it through completely and Kevin and Joe came outside.
    "So-" Joe started but Kevin held out his arm to silence him.
    "Are you sure you're ok?" He asked.
    "Positive." I said, handing over the papers.
    "Only fool's are positive." Joe said before Kevin could stop him. I laughed as Kevin rolled his eyes.
    "Well, then-I'm a fool." I said back as they dragged me into the kid's living room. Our house has two living rooms-one where our parents can watch their TV-or what ever and then ours where we can play our games and watch our movies and TV. It's also where we usually practice our band music.
    Kevin played the song to himself a couple times and Joe and I split up the words.

If the heart is always searching
Can you ever find a home?
I've been looking for that someone,
I can't make it on my own.
Dreams can't take the place of loving you,
There's gotta be a million reasons why it's true.

When you look me in the eyes,
And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,
When you look me in the eyes.

How long will I be waiting,
To be with you again?
Gonna tell you that I love you,
In the best way that I can.
I can't take a day without you here,
You're the light that makes my darkness disappear.

When you look me in the eyes,
And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,
When you look me in the eyes.

Every day, I start to realize,
I can reach my tomorrow,
I can hold my head high,
And it's all because you're by my side.

When you look me in the eyes,
And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,

When you look me in the eyes.

And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,
When you look me in the eyes.
Oh

    We finished playing and Mom started clapping from the doorway. I felt my face get warm as Joe and Kevin pat me on the back.
    "So you and Brittany are pretty serious, huh?" Kevin asked, sounding a little disappointed.
    "Not yet, why?" I said off-handedly.
    "Well, you just wrote a song about her." He said.
    "Just because its basically a love song-doesn't mean its for anybody. I just had a tune in my head." I shrugged.
    "So is it for Abby?" Joe asked.
    "No!" I said a little too quickly and they raised their eyebrows. "It's not!" I said heatedly and walked outside.
    'At least I think I just wrote it' I thought miserably.
    I absentmindedly walked to Abby's house and walked in without even bothering to knock.
    "Abs-I need your help!" I called and she came in from the kitchen wearing pajama pants and a tank top, carrying a mug of coffee.
    "With your date?" She asked sitting in her favorite chair.
    "Yes, please." I said, sitting on the couch.
    "Ok-how about a picnic by candlelight?" She asked, but I shook my head.
    "She doesn’t like the outdoors."
    "What is she, a mole?" She smiled and I shrugged. "Ok-so how about cooking her dinner?" She suggested.
    "And where would I do that?" I asked.
    "Here. I'm going to hang out with Kevin anyways." She said and I frowned slightly.
    "Are you sure? I mean-how do you know we won't do something?" I teased and she just pointed to my left hand. I looked down and saw my ring. My two brothers and I made a promise to our mom-a purity promise, basically. We don't intend to break it any time soon.
    "That's how I know." She said, smiling softly.
    "Good point." I smiled.
    "So-that's the plan? You cook for her and have your date here?" She asked and I nodded.
    "And tomorrow you and I will hang out-just the two of us?" I asked.
    "Deal."
    "So what are you and Kevin gonna do?" I asked.
    "I dunno-probably go see a movie and then go back to your house and chill until you come back. I don't want to interrupt your date." She said.
    "You're so sweet." I said and she shook her head.
    "Nah." She shrugged.
    "Yes you are-now deal with it." I said and she laughed.
    "Fine-if you say so."
    "I do!" I said. We sat around for a while before she got up and got me her mom's cook books.
    "Tada." She said.
    "Thanks, Abby." I said, hugging her. The phone rang; she answered and went upstairs to change. I started flipping though the books deciding on what to make. She came back down a few minutes later and handed over the phone. She was wearing a black tank top and dark blue skin-tight jeans. She had on her pink and black checkered slip-on vans.
    "Lookin' good. Is it a date?" I asked, hoping she'd say no for some reason.
    "No-just hanging out. That'd be kinda weird-going on a date with my best friend's brother." She said and I chuckled.
    "Yeah-I guess it would." She smiled and started getting some things I needed as I called Brittany.
    "Hello?" She answered.
    "Hey-it's Nick." I said.
    "Hi!" She said excitedly and I smiled.
    "So, listen-I'm making dinner for us tonight-but it's complicated."
    "How?" She asked, confused.
    "Our date's going to be at Abby's house-she's letting me use it because my house is going to be crowded and your house-well- I'd feel like I'm intruding. So I'll pick you up around 7:30?" I asked.
    "Alright. That was awfully nice of her." She said.
    "Yeah-she's great like that." I said.
    "I see."
    "So I'll see you soon?"
    "Absolutely." We hung up and Abby hugged me goodbye.
    "Good luck." She said, motioning to the stove.
    "Ha-ha, thanks." She left and I started to cook. I called Kevin to see if he'd be willing to come pick up Brittany with me so we wouldn't have to walk-it's quite a distance.
    Around seven ten, I had gotten everything perfect and about five minutes later Kevin showed up.
    "Where's Gabby?" I asked, seeing that it was just him in the car.
    "At the house-hanging with Joe until I get back."
    "Oh-ok. Thanks, Kevin." I said and he nodded. Pretty soon we were at her house and I knocked on her door. She answered and came out followed by Vicki and Connie. I stopped momentarily before going to the car and opening the door for them all.
    I saw Kevin roll his eyes as I climbed in the back and he drove us back to Abby's house.
    "Thanks, Kev." I said before opening the door to the house for them.