*Chapter Five*

Abby
    "Mom-I can go home, right?" I asked the next day. It was about nine in the morning.
    "I really don't think you should, baby." She said, worriedly.
    "I'll be ok. I won't stand on chairs, I promise." She sighed.
    "Alright." She squeezed my hand. "I'll get Jason to drop you off. He's on break." I nodded in agreement. She left my room and I laid my head back against my pillows.
    Jason was pretty cool. He helped my mom out a lot; stopping in to check on me on his breaks, working easily with my mom to take off some of the work load that their new boss put on my mom. Her new boss was a jerk. He made her in charge and gave her a ton of hours so that she was never home-just so he didn't have to do anything.
    Jason was about 28 and very smart-like genius level. I could usually ask him questions about my math and science and health homework.
    My mom came back with Jay and I said goodbye.
    "So-who was that boy with you?" He asked as we headed for his car.
    "My best friend. I probably got him in trouble with his girlfriend. You remember Nick, right?" I asked. They had met a few times.
    "Yeah-but he looked like way more than a best friend." He teased.
    "Yeah, yeah. Just take me home." I said back. He laughed and we climbed in his car.
    "So, with the exception of a really large headache-how you feeling?" He asked as he drove to my house.
    "Alright-I'm a little bummed, but I'm alright." He glanced at me.
    "Why are you bummed?" He asked.
    "Because of Nick's girlfriend. She doesn't like me and she's totally wrong for him."
    "How?"
    "She's all preppy and 'look-at-me' where as he's all mellow and rock."
    "And she doesn't like you?"
    "Nope."
    "Well, she belongs in the loony bin." He said, winking at me.
    "Thanks, Jay." I said.
    "Seriously-she'd have to be nuts to not like someone as awesome as you." I felt my face get warm. He pulled up in front of my house and parked the car.
    "Do you need me to come in with you?" He asked and I shook my head.
    "Thanks anyways." I said and climbed out. I walked inside and shut the door. I dropped onto the couch and closed my eyes. I fell asleep for most of the day until someone started frantically pounding on my front door. I rubbed my eyes and stood up to go answer it. I sleepily pulled it open to see Nick.
    "Nicky-don't you ever go home?" I joked.
    "When did you get home?" He asked, stepping inside.
    "This morning-I fell asleep right after, though." I said.
    "You said you'd call." He bit his bottom lip.
    "You were in school; I can't call you in school, silly." He chuckled.
    "Yeah-I guess."
    "Can you stay?" I asked.
    "No-I just wanted to make sure you were ok."
    "Oh…alright." I said, trying to hide my disappointment.
    "So you're ok?" He asked.
    "Yup. Good as new." I said, faking enthusiasm.
    "Great. So I'll see you tomorrow." He said giving me a quick hug.
    "Yeah." I mumbled as he left quickly. I was slowly beginning to feel like my friendship was falling apart. I called Emma.
    "Hey!" She said excitedly.
    "Hi." I said, trying to sound just as happy.
    "What's the matter?" She asked-her excitement fading.
    "I need to talk to you." I sighed.
    "I'll be over in a few." She hung up and I walked around my house trying to find something to do-but everything looked boring and nothing held its former appeal at the moment. Pretty soon the front door opened and I heard Emma.
    "Abs!" She shouted and I headed down the stairs. We sat on the couch and were quiet for a few minutes as she stared awkwardly at the gauze covering my stitches.
    "Do you want to see it?" I asked finally. She nodded, open-mouthed. I gingerly took the tape and gauze off and revealed the gash to her.
    "Oh-Gabby!" She said, flinging her arms around my neck.
    "Ems-I'm fine. That's not what I wanted to talk about." I said, putting the bandage back on.
    "Ok. So what is?"
    "Nick. He stopped by to see if I was ok and then left just as quick. He was only here for like three minutes." I said quietly.
    "Yeah-he had to go be with Brittany and her clones." She said, sounding angry.
    "I feel like…" I trailed off.
    "Like what?"
    "Like-my friendship is dying or something." I muttered. "He and I used to hang out everyday. Now he's with her-or forgets about me because of her." I said, my throat tightening.
    "Aww-Abby-don't worry. You're still his best friend. He stayed with you last night, didn't he?"
    "Yeah." I smiled, feeling a little better.
    "Baby, I know it's hard to see him with someone else-especially when you care so much about him-and she obviously doesn't. But it will get better. I promise." She smiled, gently playing with my hair. She knew it relaxes me.
    "She's changing him, Em. He would never, ever, in a million years blow me off. Or just stop by two seconds after something like this." I said, pointing to my head.
    "I know. And he'll realize that. But you have to be patient." She said and I nodded.
    "Thanks, Em." I said hugging her.
    "Any time." I saw her back pack lying by the door.
    "Do we have homework?" I asked.
    "Yeah. It shouldn't be too awful." She said. I nodded and she retrieved her bag. We started doing our work and pretty soon we were done. Emma's mom called soon after and she had to leave.

    The next month dragged by. I saw my mom less and less because of all the hours Rich was giving her.
    I was walking to school and as I passed Nick's house Joe and Kevin came out.
    "Hey, Abby." Kevin said as Joe jumped on my back.
    "Hey, guys." I greeted. I didn't see Nick follow them-which wasn't unusual as of late and I figured he had left early to go meet Brittany and her clones.
    "Nick's staying home today." Joe informed me when I didn't ask.
    "And why is that?" I asked casually.
    "Because he and the she-witch had a fight last night." He said, jumping down. "And he doesn’t want to see her." He continued. I felt like screaming. I clenched my fists and continued walking.
    "Abby?" Kevin started, nervously. I didn't answer-I just kept walking. "Good job, Joe." He said sarcastically. I reached the school and went straight to my homeroom. I didn't stop to talk to anyone.
    Brittany entered and I closed my eyes, wishing she's fall into a lava pit.
    "Gabriella?" I heard her say. I slowly opened my eyes and saw her standing in front of my desk-and sadly-no lava.
    "I know-I'm in your seat." I sighed, starting to stand up.
    "No-sit. Have you seen Nick today?" She asked quietly. I shook my head.
    "I haven't seen much of him in the past month." I said, trying no to sound too bitter.
    "That's probably my fault." She muttered. I scoffed under my breath.
    "So if you don't want me to move-what do you want?" I asked.
    "Nick and I had a fight last night and I was wondering if you could help me fix it." I sighed.
    "What was it about?" I asked and she sat in Nick's seat.
    "Well, he wanted to stay in and watch a movie and I wanted to go out and do something and then he said that we should just cancel the date and I could go out with Connie and Vicki-because that's how it usually ends up." She said and it sounded like she was about to cry.
    "Apologize. Say it like you mean it. It shouldn't matter what you're doing as long as you're with each other." I said and she nodded.
    "Thanks, Abby. You're really good at this." She said and the bell rang.
    After school I walked home with Joe, Jessi and Kevin. Emma had to go to her dad's.
    "So, Joe." Jessi began. He looked at her.
    "Yeah?"
    "Where's your friend, Emma? Doesn't she usually walk with you?"
    "Um." Joe said, glancing at me as we reached their house; we all walked inside.
    "She had to go to her dad's today." I said as I set my stuff on the counter. Nick came into the kitchen and opened the fridge.
    "Oh. Do you go to your dad's?" Jessi asked and everybody froze.
    "No." I said stiffly. Nick looked at me.
    "Why not?" She asked.
    "So who wants to play guitar hero?" Kevin interjected loudly.
    "I do!" Frankie yelled.
    "Abby?" Jessi asked, looking at me
    "Because he walked out before I was two." I said and walked into the kid's living room.
    "Abby." Nick said, walking after me.
    "Nick." I returned.
    "How was school?" He asked as I sat down to watch Frankie and Kevin play guitar hero.
    "Fine." I said stiffly.
    "Is everything alright?" He asked, trying to get me to meet his eyes.
    "Yup." I said coldly. I was mad at him.
    "Liar. What happened today?" He asked, putting his hand on mine. I pulled my hand back and stared at him.
    "You would know if you had gone. But instead you hid out in your house all day. If you wanna avoid your girlfriend because of a stupid fight? Fine-that's your business-but when you avoid me for no reason-that's different." I snapped and he looked at me.
    "I haven't been avoiding you, Abby." He whispered, looking hurt.
    "Oh no? When was the last time you and I hung out, Nicholas?" I asked, my voice rising uncontrollably. He looked at his feet, but he didn't answer. I took a few deep breaths through my nose. "Fine." I said and stood up. I walked into the kitchen, got my stuff and walked to my house.
    Once inside I rushed to my room and collapsed on my bed. I screamed angrily into my pillow.
    "Baby?" I heard my mom call from her room.
    "I'm in here." I said, muffled by my pillow. She came in and sat on the edge of my bed. By now I was crying.
    "Baby-what's wrong?" She asked worriedly.
    "Everything!" I shouted, choking on my tears.
    "Nick? And his girlfriend?" She asked. I nodded, now shaking with tears.
    "They got in a fight so he skips school to avoid her." I stuttered. "B-but he…just…UGH!! I yelled at him" I said. I felt ashamed for letting my anger get to me-but I couldn't help it.
    "Why didn't he just not talk to her? That's no reason to skip school." She said, confused.
    "Finally-someone who gets it." I said. She rubbed my back.
    "Gabriella-" She started.
    "And then!" I yelled. "The bimbo that Joe likes had the nerve to ask about my 'father'." I said.  "Emma's so much better." I muttered.
    "She asked you?" She asked. My 'father' was not something we liked to talk about.
    "Yeah. When I obviously didn't want to talk about it."
    "Next time tell her it's none of her business." She said.
    "Gracias, mommy." I said and she kissed my forehead.
    "Get some rest, baby doll." She said and left.
    For the next week I didn't talk to Nick. He finally cornered me at my locker.
    "Abby. I'm sorry. I was avoiding you. And the last time we hung out was when you cracked your head open. I guess I was just scared I was going to see you hurt again." He sighed. "I realize now that that was a stupid way to deal with it-a coward's way. I'm sorry. I was a jerk and you deserve better."
    "Nicky-you're my best friend-you always have been. But that doesn't give you the right to treat me like crap. That's what bothers me."
    "I know-I'm so sorry." I smiled softly, held out my arms and he hugged me. "So we're good?" He asked.
    "Yup." I said. He put his arm around my shoulders and we started to head home.
    "So-" He started and I giggled. I missed him.