*Chapter Seven*

Abby
    It was the last day of school and two weeks until our cruise. I didn't really feel like dressing up so I put on a white tank top, flannel pajama pants and a sweatshirt. I threw my long hair up in a messy bun, slipped on my flip flops, grabbed my cell phone and headed out the door. Emma was waiting outside.
    "You look comfy." She said and I nodded brightly.
    "You bet." We headed towards Nick's house, met up with the three of them and walked to school.
    "How are you wearing that?" Kevin asked me.
    "'Cause I'm cold." I shrugged.
    "Gabby's always cold-watch-when we get to the Bahamas-she'll be freezing." Nick joked. We reached the school and he headed off to find Brittany. Joe and Emma looked at me. I nodded to let them know I was alright. Kevin headed off to find Isabelle-the girl he really liked. She wasn't coming with us, but Ashley was. She was closer to Emma and really liked Kevin. She probably liked him as much as I liked Nick. She spotted us and headed over.
    "Hey, guys." She greeted.
    "Hey." We said back.
    "Um-when do I have to come over for the cruise?" She asked.
    "Well, we have to get to the airport around 4:30 on Thursday in two weeks-so I'd say get to their house by noon." I said pointing to Joe. She nodded.
    "Alright. But doesn't the cruise leave on Saturday?" She asked, confused.
    "Yeah-but we're getting there early in case of problems." I explained.
    "Oh-alright." She smiled and walked away. Joe and Emma turned to me now that we were finally alone.
    "Oh God-here we go." I joked.
    "Why are you suddenly so ok with Nick and Brittany?" Emma asked.
    "Because Nick and I are at a place in our friendship where we're ok with hanging out and him having a girlfriend. Or, at least I am." I smiled. Joe looked at me-and I could tell just by his eyes that he was asking if it was because of the kiss. I shook my head slightly. Joe and I had agreed never to speak about that again. It would just be too awkward.
    "Guys-I'm fine. And it's not like I have a claim on him." I reasoned as we headed for home room.
    "Sure you do!" Joe said loudly. I laughed.
    "Thanks, Joe." I said and walked into my homeroom. Nick was already there with Brittany. I sat in my new spot by the window and Nick looked at me. I smiled and turned back to the window.
    The bell rand and everyone stood up to leave. Nick walked Brittany to class and met up with me.
    "You ok?" He asked and I nodded, still smiling. "Why are you smiling so much?" I shrugged. "Alright, keep your secrets." He joked. I nudged his arm, still smiling. Class started and after a few minutes Nick passed me a note.

Why are you smiling?!
=]
Abby! Tell me! =[
I don't know-cause I can

    He looked at me and I shrugged again.
    "I'm just in a good mood." I said. He grinned and we stopped talking. I was actually just happy that school was over and I was talking to Nick again. The bell rang and we headed for our next class.
    "Do you wanna hang out this weekend, Miss Smiles?" He asked and I nodded.
    "Of course." I said.
    "Doesn't your face hurt from smiling so much?" He asked and I shook my head.
    "Not really." He chuckled.
    "So you're only smiling because you're in a good mood?" He asked.
    "Sure. Don't you just smile because you're in a good mood?" I asked as we reached our next class.
    "Yeah-but not constantly." He felt my forehead. "And what was up with homeroom this morning? Why didn't you sit by us?" He asked and I shrugged.
    "I didn't feel like it." I said. "I felt like sitting by the window." I said quietly and he looked at me.
    "Are you sure you're ok?" He asked and I nodded as the teacher cleared her throat. Throughout the rest of the day he kept asking if I was ok. I walked home with Emma and Ashley to my house.
    "So Nick really seems to care about you." Ashley hinted.
    "Mhm." Was all I said.
    "Does he like you?"
    "He's my best guy friend." I said. "Obvi." She laughed.
    "No-I meant does he have a crush on you?"
    "Probably not. He has his girlfriend." I shrugged.
    "I've seen the way she treats him. She's so controlling and brings her friends everywhere they go. He doesn't get sick of that?"
    "Yeah-but what's he gonna do? She's not gonna change." I shrugged.
    "Don't you hate it? I mean-being his best friend, and all." She said, hinting at something.
    "Obviously." We reached my house and walked inside.
    "So-" She began.
    "If you're trying to subtly ask if I like my best friend-just come out and say it." I smirked.
    "She doesn't get subtleties." Emma laughed. Ashley looked at me for a second and smiled.
    "Alright-do you have a crush on Nick?" She asked and I nodded. She put on a giant smile and clapped happily. I laughed and pulled out my laptop.
    The next day my mom had an hour off so she came home to see me.
    "Hi, sweetie." She greeted.
    "Mommy, is he going to ease up anytime soon? I miss you."
    "I know, baby. I hope so. How's your head feeling? Ok?" She asked, touching my new scar gently.
    "Yeah-it's fine."
    "Wake me up in an hour, baby?" She asked me and I nodded. She went into her room and fell asleep. Nick called and I shut the door to my room quietly so we could talk without bothering my mom.
    The hour passed much too quickly and I had to go wake up my mom.
    "Nicky-hold on-I have to go wake up my mom. She has to go back to work." I sighed.
    "How long did she have this time?" He asked, referring to her break.
    "An hour." I mumbled.
    "Ugh." He said and I nodded even though he couldn't see me.
    "I'll be right back." I said, putting down the phone. I walked into her room and gently shook her shoulder. "Mommy-it's an hour." I said and she jerked awake.
    "Ok-thank you, Abby." She said and got up. I slowly walked back to my room.
    "I'm back." I said dully.
    "You ok?" He asked and I shook my head, forgetting that he couldn't see me. "Want me to come over?" He asked.
    "Mhm." Was all I could get out. I heard a click and I pressed the end button on my phone. Two minutes later he knocked and I went downstairs to get it as my mom headed out for her car.
    "Be good, guys." She said, lightly kissing my forehead. She left and Nick gently led me over to the couch.
    "What's wrong?" He asked.
    "I miss my mom." I said, choking on tears. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a hug. I took a few deep breaths, but I couldn't hold back the tears anymore.
    "Abby, please don't cry." He begged. I took a few shaky breaths but I couldn't stop.
    "She doesn't sleep, she doesn’t have time to eat. She's exhausted. I just wanna kill her boss. She gets to come home for an hour every three to four days if she's lucky."
    "I know." He whispered soothingly. "It's not fair. And I haven't been very much help." He muttered.
    "What do you mean?" I asked accusingly. "You're here, aren't you?" He blinked at me.
    "Well, yeah-but I haven't been lately." He stuttered.
    "Nick-I can't ask you to be with me all the time. You have a girlfriend, you brothers, your parents-you're a wanted person. I can't keep you all to myself." I smiled. 'Even though I want to.' I thought. He looked at me.
    "So I'm not an awful best friend?" He asked, tilting his head cutely. My heart skipped a beat.
    "Of course not." I said and he hugged me tighter.
    "We've gotten off the subject." He smiled, brushing a tear off my cheek with his thumb.
    "I know, but maybe that's what I needed." I said and he met my eyes.
    "You're gonna be ok, right?" He asked and I nodded. "Promise?"
    "Promise." I said.
    "Good-cause I need you around." He whispered, staring into my eyes. I smiled a little and hugged him to keep from kissing him.
    "Thank you, Nicky." I said and he hugged tighter.
    "Wanna go do something?" He asked.
    "I wanna play a game-like we used to." I said as broke apart.
    "I spy?" He asked, smiling. I nodded and we went outside onto the porch swing.
    "You go first." He said as I placed my head on his shoulder and we swung back and forth gently.
    "I spy something….red." I said, smiling.
    "Fire hydrant." He guessed quickly and I giggled.
    "Uh-huh. Your turn."
    "I spy something….pink." He said and I could hear the smile in his voice. I looked around but couldn't see anything. I finally looked down and smiled at myself, feeling stupid.
    "My shirt." I said.
    "Mhm. Your turn." He said, still smiling.
    "I spy something…white."
    "The clouds." He answered.
    "Are you cheating?" I asked, sitting up.
    "How can I cheat if it's in your mind, silly."
    "Oh-good point." I said, going back to my original spot with my head against his shoulder. "Your turn, cheater."
    "I spy something….purple." He said mysteriously. I looked around and still nothing. Finally I caught a glimpse of something purple out of the corner of my eye and realized it was my glasses.
    "My glasses." I sighed and he laughed.
    "Took you long enough." He said. "Your turn."
    "I spy something…brown." I said.
    "The porch." He said quickly.
    "Alright, cheater. Your turn." I giggled. He chuckled
    "I spy something…gold." He said. I knew it couldn't be anything on me-I don't wear gold-ever. I looked around, but I didn't see gold anything.
    "Is it the flower pattern in the swing?" I asked. He looked to where I was pointing.
    "That's orange." He laughed. "No wonder you suck at this game."
    "I don't see anything gold-unless you count the sun-but that's yellow." I said.
    "Well-technically you can't see this."
    "What is it?" I whined.
    "The gold in your eyes." He said, simply. I looked at him.
    "What?"
    "Your eyes have gold flecks in them." He said non- chalantly.
    "They do?" I asked, surprised.
    "Yeah-you've never noticed it before?" He asked, chuckling.
    "No-I don't pay that much attention to them."
    "So you've never like-looked at them in a mirror or something?" He asked.
    "Well, yeah-but I've never really paid attention." I shrugged.
    "Every other girl in our school does-they spend hours obsessing. Why don't you?" He asked and I shrugged.
    "I dunno, it's just not that important to me. It never has been." I said, rubbing my nose.
    "Alright, miss modest. My turn again." He said. "I spy something…green." He said.
    "Leaves." I guessed.
    "Nope."
    "Grass?" I guessed again.
    "Nope."
    "My socks?" I guessed skeptically. He laughed.
    "Yup."
    "Can you pick something that's not on me?" I asked.
    "I'll try." He chuckled.
    "I spy something yellow." I said.
    "Sun flower." He answered right away.
    "Cheater." I sang quietly. He laughed.
    "My turn." He hummed for a few seconds. "I spy something red."
    "I already did red." I said.
    "A different red." He explained as we continued to swing gently.
    "Um…a rose!" I said excitedly. He laughed.
    "Yup." He said and reached next to the swing on the floor. He put something in front of my face and it took me a second to realize that it was a single red rose. "A beautiful rose for my beautiful best friend." He said and I took the rose, blushing furiously. I lifted my head and gently kissed his cheek.
    "Thank you, Nicky." I said quietly. We were quiet for a few minutes.
    "It's your turn." He said after a while
    "I spy something dark brown." I said.
    "Um…" He hummed, looking around. "Tree trunks?" He guessed and I smirked.
    "Nope."
    "Dirt?" He asked.
    "Nope."
    "I give up." He sighed. I ruffled his hair.
    "How many times have I told you I love your hair?" I asked laughing as he groaned.
    "My hair's black." He protested.
    "Not right now-it looks dark brown." I said.
    "Alright-you win." He laughed.
    "Of course I do." I smirked.
    "Oh-so that's how it's gonna be?" He joked.
    "Yup." I said and he stood up.
    "Fine then." He said, pretending to be mad and walking down the porch steps.
    "Nicky!" I yelled, rushing after him and jumping on his back. "You can't leave me!" I yelled, laughing hysterically as we toppled over sideways and landing on the yard.
    "Fine! I won't!" He yelled back, laughing. He rolled us over so that he had me pinned on my back.
    "Well, hello." I said, breathing heavy.
    "We have got to stop meeting like this, people are beginning to talk." He said in a posh tone and he winked at me. I giggle. I felt myself relax and calm down a little so I could breathe properly-although it was difficult with Nick's face inches from mine.
    "Abby-" He began.
    "Ahem" I heard someone fake cough. I looked up at the person, squinting because of the sun.
    "Hi, Brittany." I said as Nick rolled away from me.
    "Hello." She said icily. Her two clones stood behind her and I was instantly reminded of Star Wars with the clone army.
    "What are you three up to?" I asked, trying to make friendly conversation.
    "Looking for my boyfriend." She said, still in the icy tone.
    "What's up?" Nick asked, finally standing up.
    "I want to hang out now." She said, turning her stare on him.
    "Well, I was hanging out with Abby." He said.
    "I'm sure she won't mind." She said, narrowing her eyes at me. Nick looked at me.
    "What ever." I mumbled and walked inside. I slammed the door behind me and watched Brittany lead Nick away. I saw my rose lying on the swing and went out to get it. I stormed up to my room and flopped on my bed. After about half an hour I decided I needed to get out of my house. I headed for the hospital to see my mom and Jason.
    I reached the hospital and went right to my mom's level.
    "Hey, gorgeous-how's that head?" Jay asked.
    "Fine." I smiled. "Yours?" I asked and he laughed.
    "Getting emptier by the minute." He winked and I laughed.
    "Have you seen my mom?" I asked.
    "She's in a meeting right now-but you can chill with me until she's done." He offered.
    "Thanks." We walked around as he checked on patients already in rooms.
    "Hello." He said happily as we entered one room. He had given me an extra lab coat so I could go with him. "How are we today?" He asked.
    "Alright." He answered, glancing at me. Jay looked at me.
    "Don't worry about her-she's my gorgeous assistant. She's just observing today." He said, winking at me. I smiled and he went back to doing his job. "Abs, can you grab me that?" He asked, pointing to a light stand. I got it for him and the door opened. I turned and saw my mom's boss. He saw me and motioned for me to follow. I glanced at Jason and silently followed Rich.
    "C'mon-go home." He said coldly, grabbing my arm roughly.
    "No." I said stubbornly.
    "Yes." He said, dragging me towards the elevators.
    "No." I said, yanking my arm back.
    "Excuse me?"
    "Since you won't let her come home-I've come to visit my mom."
    "What do you mean I won't let her come home?" He asked rudely.
    "She hasn't been home in four days. I have a right to see my mother. You can't stop me." I said firmly and walked away from him. I found my mom and she smiled tiredly.
    "Look at my beautiful baby." She said and I chuckled.
    "Rich tried to make me go home." I said quietly.
    "He what?"
    "He grabbed my arm and tried to make me go home." I said, rolling up my sleeve to show her the spot. It was already starting to bruise. She took a few deep breaths.
    "Ok-you wanna hand out in my office and go on the computer?" She asked. I nodded and headed for her office. I played solitaire on her computer and signed on line. Kevin was on, Emma was on, and Ashley was on.

Guitargod1105: hey-is Nick with you?   
angelita1031: no-he's with his girlfriend. I'm in my mom's office
Guitargod1105: oh-he said he was going over to your house.
angelita1031: he was with me for a little while, but she came and
made him leave
Guitargod1105: oh. I'm sorry Abs.
agelita1031: it's fine. I'll live
Guitargod1105: you better! =P…hey, I gotta go. I'll call you later, ok?
angelita1031: otay. bye.

    Kevin signed off and Ashley IMed me.

*Spazzybabe*: hey!
angelita1031: hey, what's up?
*Spazzybabe*: nothing-I was just talking to Kevin =] but then
he had to go =[ so…yeah
angelita1031: haha. yeah I was talking to him too.
*Spazzybabe*: I really like him…
angelita1031: I know…that's adorable
*Spazzybabe*: but he likes Isabelle =[
angelita1031: to be honest she's not right for him and
she doesn't like him back
*Spazzybabe*: *jaw drops* she's crazy! how can you not?
He's so sweet, and adorable and charming!
And now I feel bad because he really likes her.
angelita1031: Ik. He's a great guy-you two would be so
cute together.
*Spazzybabe*: Yeah-I wish.
angelita1031: just don't give up. You never know what could happen.
*Spazzybabe*: thanks, Abs. Crap-I gotta go-
my dad's home

    She signed off just as my mom walked in.
    "Baby-I thought you were hanging out with Nick." She said, confused.
    "I was-but his girlfriend showed up and made him leave. She's so…ugh! He's changing, mom. And its her fault." I said, thunking my head on her desk. "He would never blow me off or leave me just because someone tells him to. She's evil, Mommy."
    "I know, baby. But just do what you do-she'll get what she deserves. Don't you worry." She said, rubbing my back. I sighed.
    "I have to go pack." I said dully and signed off her computer. "Bye, mommy." I hugged her and left.
    "Hey, kiddo." Jay said. I smiled back half-heartedly. "You ok?" He asked and I shrugged.
    "I have to go pack and I'm just tired, I guess."
    "Alright-have fun." He smiled, hugging me.
    "Thanks, Jason." I left and started to walk home. I saw Kevin driving around and he pulled up along side me and started driving slowly.
    "Hey, gorgeous-come here often?" He called and I laughed.
    "Only when I miss my mom." I called back. He stopped the car.
    "Get in." I walked over and jumped over the door.
    "Have you eaten yet?" He asked and I shook my head. "Of course you haven't. Let's go get something." He suggested.
    "Alright." He drove us to a little restaurant by the beach. We ordered our food and ate on the dock outside.
    "So." He said, looking at me as we got our food.
    "So." I said back, smiling.
    "Nick blew you off again, huh?" I sighed.
    "I just have to accept that I come in second, now. It's a wake up call I guess."
    "It's still not right, Gabriella." He said. "You're his best friend-he should treat you better. If our mother ever found out he was doing this-she'd murder him."
    "Please don't say anything." I asked. He sighed.
    "Fine-but only because I know you can hold your own." He said and I laughed.
    "Thank you."
    "Yeah yeah." He smiled. we finished eating and went down to the beach and walked along the water line.
    "So you're ok?" He asked, nudging my arm.
    "Yeah-bummed and bruised, but I'm ok."
    "Bruised?" He asked, confused. I rolled up my sleeve and showed him the fist shaped bruise on my upper arm. "Oh my God! Did Nick do that?!" He almost yelled.
    "No! My mom's boss did, on accident." I said. "Nick would never physically hurt me-or emotionally on purpose." I said.
    "Your mom's boss?" He asked.
    "Yeah-it was an accident." I said and he didn't look like he believed me.
    "You want him gone? I know a guy." He said and I laughed.
    "Thanks anyways, Kevin." We headed home and he dropped me off at my house. I went inside and began to get stuff to start packing.
    After about an hour I had a pile of clothes on the floor and none in my suitcase. The phone rang and I picked up the cordless, still on my bed.
    "Hello?" I answered.
    "Abby-it's Nick. Can I come over?" He asked. He sounded upset.
    "Sure, absolutely. I'm in my room-just walk in." I said and he hung up. 'I hope he's ok.' I said out loud. A few minutes later I heard him come in and run upstairs. He knocked on my open door and I looked up.
    "Hey." I said as he stepped forward. "Are you ok?" He nodded, hugging me.
    "I'm sorry I left. I should've said no." I sighed in relief.
    "It's ok, Nicky."
    "No, it's not. You needed me and I left you." He said, almost in tears.
    "Nick-"
    "No, Abby. Don't say its ok when it's not. I heard you slam the door. I know you're mad. You have every right to be."
    "I'm not mad anymore. I went to go visit my mom and Kevin and I had dinner and then I was starting to pack. I'm over it. But you scared me when you called. I thought something happened."
    "It did-I failed." He mumbled, looking at me. I hugged him.
    "I forgive you." I said quietly in his ear.
    "You-"
    "Deal with it." I said and he cracked a smile.
    "Yes ma'am."
    "C'mon. I have more packing to do." I said, making him sit on my bed as I continued to toss my clothes into two piles. I could feel him watching and I looked up to see him smiling at me. I tried to ignore him as I continued to sort my clothes-but it wasn't working very well. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him grab a pillow off my bed and whip it at my head. It smacked me in the face and I toppled over back wards.
    "Not cool, Nicholas. Not cool." I said, still lying on my back. Another pillow dive-bombed my stomach. He started laughing and I chucked one at his face. He fell backwards off my bed, still laughing like a nut.
    Pretty soon it had turned into a full on pillow war. We had both reached for the same pillow at the same time. He tried to pull it away from me as I tried to pull it back. He yanked harder and I flew into him and we fell over onto the floor.
    "You ok?" He asked, laughing. I hit him with a pillow.
    "Super." I smirked. He hit me with a pillow.
    "Good." I laughed. He met my eyes and I started to get up but he pulled me back down.
    "Nicky!" I whined. He laughed evilly.
    "You can't get up!" He cackled. I tried to push myself away but he rolled me over and pinned me.
    "Ow!" I mumbled.
    "What?" He asked, easing up. I reached under my back and pulled out a shoe. "Sorry." He whispered. I smiled.
    "All better." I whispered. His face moved closer and I knew I had to get up before I did something I'd regret. I turned my head and looked next to me. I felt him hang his head and roll away from me.