*Chapter Sixteen*

Nick

            We had been walking around for about three hours. Brittany hadn't shown up yet and I was beginning to think she wouldn't.

            We sat down for lunch and Brittany came over acting surprised. I groaned inwardly.

            "Hi, guys." She greeted cheerfully. "Mind if we join you?" She asked, the three of them already sitting down.

            "Sure." Abby said, just as cheerfully. I looked at her. She merely smiled at me.

            They hung out with us for the rest of the day-which, strange enough, wasn't uncomfortable. We went back to the ship and I walked everyone to their rooms, not hard considering they were two feet from each other. I wanted Abby to come back to our room to hang out, but she walked right into her room. Brittany shut her door and I was left standing in the hallway.

            Joe walked by and laughed at me.

            "Caught in the middle?" He asked and I stuck my tongue out at him. "Hey, have you seen Jessi?" He asked as I headed back to him

            "Nope." I said. "Sorry." He sighed.

            "That's cool." He dropped his gaze to the floor.

            "You ok?" I asked.

            "Yeah. I just feel like she's avoiding me." He mumbled. Emma came out of her and Abby's room and I saw Joe's eyes light up slightly.

            "Nicky-can you help me with something?" She asked.

            "Nick." I corrected.

            "Sorry. Abby's rubbing off." I smiled.

            "What do you need?" I asked. She took my hand and led me to the stairs. Joe continued to our room. Once we reached the next floor she began to talk.

            "This is a little conniving, but I need you to help me prove to Joe that Jessi isn't who he thinks she is." She said quietly. I looked at her.

            "Are you sure?" I asked. She nodded. We reached the top decks. "Alright. How?" I asked.

            "I dunno." She muttered as we sat down.

            "Did you have an idea?"

            "Yeah. You know how lately he's been asking if we've seen her? And lately every time she's been with that kid."

            "Yeah."

            "Well, we just have to tell him where she is when she's going to be with that kid." She said. I thought about it. It seemed kinda cruel, but it had to be done.

            "That could work." I said. "When?" I asked.

            "I dunno. We'd have to find out when she meets him and where. I mean, she obviously hasn't been completely honest with Joe if he doesn't know where she is." She said and I nodded.

            "Good point." I said. She hugged me.

            "Thank you, Nick."

            "Anytime."

            After a while I walked back to my room. Kevin, Ashley and Joe were in there.

            "Nick!" Kevin and Joe yelled happily. I looked at them.

            "Have you been drinking the water?" I joked. Joe tackled me.

            "No-just happy to see you." He said, grinning.

            "Can I ask you a question?" I asked as he stood up, pulling me to my feet.

            "Didn't leave me much choice, there, did you?" He laughed.

            "Shut up, butthead." I said, sitting on my bed.

            "Shoot."

            "How do you feel about Emma?" I asked.

            "Why?" He asked defensively.

            "Just wondering. I mean, you guys spend a lot of time together and just the way you treat her, like you care about her as more than just a friend." I said. He glanced at the floor, and then at the ceiling.

            "Nope-just as a friend." He said quietly. Kevin threw a pillow at him.

            "Liar." Kevin accused.

            "Now try telling the truth." Ashley laughed.

            "She's just a friend!" He said heatedly.

            "Alright, chill, dude. We're just messing with you." I said. He groaned and fell back onto his bed, covering his face with a pillow.

            "We won't bring it up again." Kevin said. He groaned again. I sighed.

            "I'm gonna go talk to Abby." I said, standing up. Ashley made a move, but stopped. "You ok?" I asked, checking.

            "Cold chill." She muttered, not meeting my eyes.

            "Oh-alright." I waved and walked over to Abby's room, knocking on her door. Emma opened it.

            "Abby's not here." She said apologetically.

            "Oh-do you know where she is?" I asked. She shrugged.

            "Walking around, maybe." The door behind me opened.

            "Nicky!" I heard Brittany shriek. I clenched my jaw. Emma slammed her door and I felt myself being pulled backwards into her room.

            I was starting to question when I ever saw in her.