*Chapter Four*

Nick
    I heard a crash in the kitchen and I jumped up off the couch. I've never moved so fast in my life. I saw Abby lying on the floor and blood was trickling everywhere. I grabbed the phone and a dish towel. I found where the blood was coming from and pressed the towel to it to stop the bleeding and quickly dialed her mom's cell phone at the hospital.
    "Hi, Abby." She greeted tiredly.
    "Mrs. Hernandez-it's Nick. Abby cracked her head open-"
    "I'll be there in three seconds." She said and hung up. I put the phone down and continued to hold the towel with one hand and her hand with the other.
    I heard her mom pull into the driveway ten minutes later and she rushed into the house. She held the towel as I picked Abby up and carried her out to the car. I put her in the back seat and climbed in, holding her head in my lap. Her mom climbed into the driver's seat and headed for the hospital.
    "What happened?" She asked.
    "Um-she was o-o-on the chair in front of the fridge. I was in the living room and then I heard a crash and she was on the floor. That's when I grabbed a towel and called you." I stuttered. "I'm so sorry." I said, feeling sick.
    "Sorry for what? If you hadn't been there, she wouldn't have been found until I came home later." She said and I felt a little better. We pulled into the emergency lane and got out. They put her on a stretcher and wheeled her into a room I wasn't allowed to go in. I paced in front of the doors, waiting and her mom came over.
    "Thank you, Nick." She said, hugging me. "She'll be fine-why don't you go home?" She suggested and I shook my head.
    "I want to stay. I can't leave her." I said, a lump forming in my throat, making it hard to breathe.
    "Alright." She nodded. "She'll be in room 321 when she's done." She told me and I nodded. She hugged me again and walked away. I wandered towards the front desk and asked to use the phone. I dialed my home phone and my dad answered.
    "Hello?" He sounded nervous.
    "Dad-it's Nick."
    "Where are you?" He asked.
    "I'm at the hospital, but I'm fine."
    "So why are you there?"
    "Abby hit her head when I was at her house-I can't leave her, Dad."
    "I understand. Is she ok?"
    "I don't know-they took her away from me."
    "Ok. Well, call if you need anything." He said softly and the lump got bigger.
    "Thanks, Dad." I said and hung up. I headed back to the double doors and waited for a few more minutes. A man came out and looked at me. I jumped up and went over.
    "She's fine-she needed ten stitches and she has a minor concussion. We'll need to keep her over night-just for observations and she can go home tomorrow." He said and I nodded.
    "Can I go see her now?" I asked and he hesitated before nodding.
    "Room 321." He said. "It's up that hall and to the left." I nodded and headed to where he told. I found the room and a few minutes later they wheeled her in. I sat in a chair next to her and took her hand in mine.
    "Abby, please wake up." I whispered. "I'm so sorry. It should have been me. This is payback for being a jerk, isn't it?" I tried to joke, but it wasn't the same when I couldn't hear her laugh. "Please wake up." I begged, tears leaking out of my eyes. I looked at her just lying there, looking so peaceful.
    There was a knock on the door behind me and I wiped my eyes as I turned to see Kevin, Joe and Emma.
    "How is she?" Kevin asked, sitting next to me. Emma was crying and I just shook my head.
    "Ten stitches and a 'minor concussion'." I mumbled.
    "Wow. What happened?" Joe asked.
    "She hit her head on the granite counter." I choked. Emma hugged me and I rubbed her arms reassuringly.
    "She'll be fine." Kevin said.
    "Of course she will. She's tough." Joe agreed.
    After a while they left and went home. Her mom came in and rubbed my back soothingly.
    "She'll be alright, kiddo. I know my Gabriella-she'll wake up soon." She whispered and I nodded.
    "Can it be right now?" I whispered back and she chuckled a little.
    "I hope so, baby. I hope so." She kissed the top of my head.
    "Can I ask you a question, Mom?" I asked.
    "Sure, sweetie."
    "Why aren't you trying to make me go home?"
    "Because I know that I can't make you. You care about her too much to leave her alone right now." She smiled softly.
    "Thank you." I whispered, looking back to my best friend.
    Sometime in the middle of the night I felt my hair moving. I slowly opened my eyes to see Abby playing with my hair with one hand.
    "I love your hair." She mumbled. She had told me that a million times-but it never sounded so good before. "It's so curly." She smiled softly.
    "How are you feeling?" I asked, moving as close as I could.
    "Ok. I have a really big headache, though. What happened?" She asked, adjusting to sit up.
    "You hit your head on the counter." I said, helping her sit up.
    "Did you ever get your snack?" She asked, looking at me. I chuckled and shook my head. "I'm sorry, Nicky." She said sadly.
    "Abs-its ok. I'm just glad you're ok." I said.
    "Nicky-you're too good to me." She said groggily.
    "No less than what you deserve." I said.
    "Why don't you go home and get some sleep?" She said.
    "I wanna stay with you." I protested.
    "Nick, please go home." She said sweetly.
    "But-"
    "Pwease?" She blinked at me.
    "I-" I began.
    "I'll call you tomorrow-I promise." She said and I smiled, defeated.
    "Alright, you better." I said, leaning forward. She met my eyes and I lightly kissed her cheek. I left and walked the twenty minutes to my house.
    I got out my keys and went upstairs. I quietly walked into my room where Kev was already in bed. I quietly got changed and climbed into bed.
    "Brittany called for you." He mumbled.
    "Thanks." I whispered and fell asleep.